Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #1

Cap construction

I have a question about how the front caps are installed on Dynamax super C. The Isata or Veracruz. Reason for asking I currently have a Thor Omni and there are problems with the way the factory poorly installed the caps. Small, overtorqued, broken, etc. screws on the cap side and roofline. Thor obviously doesn't acknowledge the factory is in error and some are replacing the screws with stainless bolts. Quite a job obviously. That and other substandard build I'm looking at replacing and going to a Dynamax or Renagade. Something in the mid 30 foot range. I know ALL factory products are less than "good quality" these days so I don't want to jump from one poor pot to another.

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:35 AM   #2
Commercial Member

The one-piece fiberglass front cap on the Isata 5 Series is installed as follows:

1. Connecting the Front Cap to Cab Roof and Front Wing Panels: We use 3/8 stainless steel hardened lag screws to initially set the cap in place. Then the cap is bolted (evenly spaced) into the cab roof and front wing panels.

2. Connecting the Front Cap to the Roof and Sidewalls:

2a. The front cap overlays the one-piece fiberglass roof and the sidewalls.

2b. A long metal belt rail is then screwed into place (1 stainless steel screws) along the rear edge of the front cap, which overlay the roof and sidewalls. That belt rail runs all the way down to the bottom of each sidewall. We position the belt rail along the roof and sidewalls to ensure maximum screw retention. Along the roof, the belt rail is lined up so that each screw passes through (1) the fiberglass roof skin, (2) the plywood decking, and (3) into a 2 aluminum roof truss. Along the sidewalls, the belt rail is lined up so that each screw passes through (1) the fiberglass sidewall and (2) into the 1 x 1 WOOD-filled aluminum-tube sidewall framing. We fill the tubing with wood to ensure proper screw retention.

2c. Once the belt rail is completely installed, we cover it with a long piece of white PVC trim (track cap).
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
JGraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGraber View Post
The one-piece fiberglass front cap on the Isata 5 Series is installed as follows:

1. Connecting the Front Cap to Cab Roof and Front Wing Panels: We use 3/8 stainless steel hardened lag screws to initially set the cap in place. Then the cap is bolted (evenly spaced) into the cab roof and front wing panels.

2b. A long metal belt rail is then screwed into place (1 stainless steel screws) along the rear edge of the front cap, which overlay the roof and sidewalls. That belt rail runs all the way down to the bottom of each sidewall. We position the belt rail along the roof and sidewalls to ensure maximum screw retention. Along the roof, the belt rail is lined up so that each screw passes through (1) the fiberglass roof skin, (2) the plywood decking, and (3) into a 2 aluminum roof truss. Along the sidewalls, the belt rail is lined up so that each screw passes through (1) the fiberglass sidewall and (2) into the 1 x 1 WOOD-filled aluminum-tube sidewall framing. We fill the tubing with wood to ensure proper screw retention.

2c. Once the belt rail is completely installed, we cover it with a long piece of white PVC trim (track cap).
Thank you. I'm a participant on a thor forum and the front cap is a significant problem. One poster who is quite handy is rebuilding his cap and that includes re-welding the aluminum structure that had poor and broken welds, using SS machine screws, self locking nuts and washers, re-glasssing some supports, etc. the link is to the thread he has for anyones "entertainment. Hopefully posting that link doesn't violate any of the forum rules but it's eye opening. The first indication that it's failing is bulging screws under the side and roof trim where the cap meets the body

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...fix-28874.html

I knew some of what I got into but tired of crappy finds and potential endless structural fixes.

Old 11-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:

Another couple question please. The Dynamax site says the A/C ducting is "foiled lined". What exactly is that? The thor is styrofoam sheets that have gaps and is torn appearing using my inspection mirrors and lights. Getting styrofoam "snow showers" from the vents months later with many hours A/C usages and maybe 20 weeks usage in hot climate. The options show a Xplorer package, not available in the 34DS, which is the plan I would get. Of the components, is the dual pane windows something that can be ordered on the 34DS and/or is that likely to be found in inventory?

Thanks

Old 11-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Dual panes are not available on the 34DS due to the added weight. It takes the CCC lower than we are comfortable with.

As for "foil" lined, it is just that. Instead of Styrofoam, our duct is a foil faced celluar foam material.

Sort of like this, but more rigid.
https://www.reflectixinc.com/product...ve-insulation/
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Dual panes are not available on the 34DS due to the added weight. It takes the CCC lower than we are comfortable with.

As for "foil" lined, it is just that. Instead of Styrofoam, our duct is a foil faced celluar foam material.

Sort of like this, but more rigid.
https://www.reflectixinc.com/product...ve-insulation/
Thank you, I reckon that foil won't be shedding like bare styrofoam. What is the average CCC of a 34DS and do you know any scale weight of the distribution front to rear? I.e. weights on front and rear axles?

Old 11-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #7
Commercial Member

CCC is around 1300-1400lbs. The 4x2's were around 1700, but there were so few orders for them we stopped even offering it.

Front averages around 6700lbs, Rear averaged around 11,200
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 11-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #8

Quote:
CCC is around 1300-1400lbs. The 4x2's were around 1700, but there were so few orders for them we stopped even offering it.

Front averages around 6700lbs, Rear averaged around 11,200
Thanks, I presume that's with full fuel and driver? I ask because there is confusion with dealers and some factory reps as to how the figure is calculated. I've gotten answers of no fuel to full and 4 people.

EDIT adding, now I just need to find one to see that doesn't require a 2 day drive. Not much in SE Alabama. May have to plan a "camping trip". I tried the "dealer locater" on the Dynamax site but it wasn't helpful or go out far enough. RVtrader obviously doesn't show much.

Old 11-15-2021, 10:30 AM   #9

If I recall correctly, CCC is measured with full fuel tank, no water, no propane, no driver.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:41 AM   #10
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Thanks, I presume that's with full fuel and driver? I ask because there is confusion with dealers and some factory reps as to how the figure is calculated. I've gotten answers of no fuel to full and 4 people.

EDIT adding, now I just need to find one to see that doesn't require a 2 day drive. Not much in SE Alabama. May have to plan a "camping trip". I tried the "dealer locater" on the Dynamax site but it wasn't helpful or go out far enough. RVtrader obviously doesn't show much.

I am located in SE Alabama and your more than welcome to come see ours. We have 2016 Force HD and could not be happier. I highly recommend Dynamax and will never buy anything else again. The customer service and quality of work compared to others in the industry is far more superior.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #11
Commercial Member

CCC is measured with full fuel and full propane - no water and no occupants.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 11-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:

CCC is ALWAYS....full fuels. (IE chassis fuel and Propane). No people, no water, no cargo. The federal government standardized this a few years back.

The Exception is Canada. That includes full fresh water.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #13

Quote:
CCC is ALWAYS....full fuels. (IE chassis fuel and Propane). No people, no water, no cargo. The federal government standardized this a few years back.

Thanks for the update. I was amazed at some of the answers from dealers and supposedly their answers they got from factory reps. I expected it from dealers but maybe they just made up answers rather than actually call someone.

Old 11-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I was amazed at some of the answers from dealers and supposedly their answers they got from factory reps. I expected it from dealers but maybe they just made up answers rather than actually call someone.
Some of that might just be carry over from how it was done in the industry (thus the reason the government or RVIA standardized it).

It used to be ALL over the board.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
I am located in SE Alabama and your more than welcome to come see ours. We have 2016 Force HD and could not be happier. I highly recommend Dynamax and will never buy anything else again. The customer service and quality of work compared to others in the industry is far more superior.
Thanks I may take you up on that. Yesterday I was in ETP. I'll send you a PM in the next week or 2. David

Old 12-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
PM sent.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:21 AM   #17

Quote:

It was my understanding that CCC also includes full tank of Def. can you please confirm that.
Thanks
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
It was my understanding that CCC also includes full tank of Def. can you please confirm that.
Thanks
Yes - that is correct. Full DEF and full fuel have both already accounted for when calculating CCC.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Yes - that is correct. Full DEF and full fuel have both already accounted for when calculating CCC.
Great. Thank you!!!
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #20

JGraber,

Is the method of CAP installation the same for a 2016 DX3 as it is for the Isata?

Gerard
Thebackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote