Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #1

Carefree Latitude awning won’t retract 2019 Isata 3 24RW

At first the awning would not extend out. Waited til next morning and despite my better judgement I tried again and it worked. Now it will not retract. I hear a faint clicking outside when I hold the retract switch. Any ideas? Lights on awning work. Plugged in to 30A at campground. Carefree manual says nothing helpful on manually retracting or troubleshooting. Carefree Latitude model GX2168D8DRB
acoxFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
Commercial Member

So page 5 of the manual does not help? "Emergency Override"

https://forestriverinc.help/#/dynama...ultiple-709181

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #3

That says to try if there is no power, but there is power to the awning as I hear it clicking and the awning lights work so I didn’t think that applied. But I can try.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:20 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoxFL View Post
That says to try if there is no power, but there is power to the awning as I hear it clicking and the awning lights work so I didn’t think that applied. But I can try.
Well, true. I think the light is separate as it is a different switch I thought.

Key is not in the ignition? I know there is a lockout to prevent operation while the vehicle is in motion. So either the lockout is active because a key is in, or maybe there is a loose connection on the E-brake locking it out as well. Or of course bad motor...but jumping it would likely tell that story.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoxFL View Post

Actually I can’t try, that’s beyond my skill level. There are 2 sets of red and black wires, and even if I figure out which set to use the connectors won’t unplug, they’re in tight and I would absolutely wind up pulling the wires out of the tips. Hopefully it decides to work again or the mobile tech I just spoke to can show up before we’re supposed to head out tomorrow. I still can’t believe I even touched that extend button this morning when it didn’t work last night, that’s what’s really eating me up is my own stupidity.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well, true. I think the light is separate as it is a different switch I thought.

Key is not in the ignition? I know there is a lockout to prevent operation while the vehicle is in motion. So either the lockout is active because a key is in, or maybe there is a loose connection on the E-brake locking it out as well. Or of course bad motor...but jumping it would likely tell that story.

No key in ignition. Tried resetting parking brake but no change.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #7

I had a similar issue last year. To get my awning in, I applied a little pressure to try and push the awning, while the switch was in the retract position. It worked and I did not extend the awning again on that trip. In the long run, I took apart the drive mechanism and cleaned and lubricated it. I also checked and made sure all of the electrical connections did not have any corrosion and that the connections were actually good. Hope you can get it retracted!
flighttest1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #8

I am happy to report that the Emergency Override steps worked and I was able to retract the awning. I used a 16 foot jumper cable and a pair of test leads with alligator clips to connect my car battery to the red and black wires in the motor and it rolled right up. Actually at first it extended but I swapped the red and black and up it went. At first I tried my lithium ion jumper battery but that didn’t work, the car battery fired it right up. Thanks for the pointer BC! All’s well that ends well. That was much better than my plan B to take a hacksaw to it. Wife was not a fan of that. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	259684
Old 02-24-2023, 12:01 PM   #9

So I decided to try and get the awning fixed. I took it to an RV shop and after it sat there 3 weeks they told me the motor was bad, and they’d put 12V directly to it with no movement. I knew that was wrong, so I cut my losses and brought it back home. As I suspected, the emergency retract and extend still works fine, it rolled right out today connected to my car battery, so it is not the motor. Looking at everything more closely I think there was a crimp and break in the wiring where it comes out of the coach and runs down the arm to the motor. See photos. Can this be spliced, and if so should I be able to strip those red and black wires? They are so tiny! Appreciate any thoughts. If it wasn’t this I was going to try replacing the controller but I think it’s possible this wire was the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8796.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	284214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8797.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	284215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8799.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	284216  
Old 02-24-2023, 12:12 PM   #10
Commercial Member

You can always try to wire nut them or jumper them to see. If that works, I would splice and heat shrink.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:41 PM   #11

It appears that the splice point is being stressed when the awning is rolled up.
If that is the case, the issue will happen again. Make sure the splice is maintained to the outside of the awning roll. The splice is not flexible like wire is.

Just a thought.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:36 PM   #12

I was able to strip cleanly and connect with wire nuts to test my theory, unfortunately that must not have been my issue, still no response from the awning switch after reconnecting everything. Perhaps Carefree can help me troubleshoot to rule out the Control Module or I can order one and find out. But before that can anyone confirm if a specific fuse or CB somewhere may be at fault? Only fuse I see in Carefree manuals is a 2A for awning lights, but the awning lights work fine and that one isn’t on the motor circuit. I’d just hate for this to be as simple as a fuse or CB that I just can’t find.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:31 PM   #13

Put a multi meter across the leads coming from the switch at your wire nuts connection.
If no power there you may have "
blown fuse
blown controller.

I do not have a fuse map for the Isata. Maybe find it on the online documents at the Dynamax manuals website.

Good luck
Old 02-24-2023, 03:08 PM   #14

I'm not a Dynamax guy but it appears the ON/OFF awning switch supplies the 12Vdc to the awning head module for just the awning (not the LED's). If you can pull the switch panel and check for 12Vdc at the ON/OFF switch. If yes, jumper the switch and try the awning. If not there has to be a fuse farther up that may be an inline or in the ?? fuse panel.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 01:28 PM   #15

Here is fuse map for ISATA 5 might help.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...4&d=1651759145
Old 08-26-2023, 03:35 PM   #16

Well, 25 months later we have a happy ending. A competent mechanic at Travelcamp in Melbourne, FL traced the problem to a disconnected wire behind the TV of all places. Awning is back in business. I'd have never figured that one out on my own.

Tags
awning