Old 05-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #1

Carefree Slide stopper Not Retracting

Quick question.
We have an awning topper that isnít rewinding all the way when the slide out is brought in. Worked fine yesterday. Is there an adjustment like on a window shade where the spring needs adjusted to worn properly?

EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #2

It looks like we have the same slide topper on our fifth wheel. It is possible that the winding springs inside have either broken or have just malfunctioned. If you carefully take the cap off of the side, you can actually use a socket wrench and wind the springs carefully. You have to stick something in the hole so that the spring doesnít make the wrench spin back at you quickly. Look up online how to wind a carefree topper spring. I believe their website has instructions. I hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #3

Try this first... I've seen them jammed with debris .. just a thought.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200523_200813.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	229743
Old 05-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #4
Retired Army Paratrooper

Ed, I had this problem in the past, my spring inside the roller tube unwound and I had to rewind it. Take the right side end cap off and you will see the end of the tube. Should be a set pin you need to remove then your able to turn it by hand and get it fairly tight, you will then need to have 2 smaller phillips screw drivers and you will wind it then use the second screwdriver to hold it in place while you reposition to wind again. I wound mine until it was nice and firm then replaced the set pin. put back together and never a problem again.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Ed, I had this problem in the past, my spring inside the roller tube unwound and I had to rewind it. Take the right side end cap off and you will see the end of the tube. Should be a set pin you need to remove then your able to turn it by hand and get it fairly tight, you will then need to have 2 smaller phillips screw drivers and you will wind it then use the second screwdriver to hold it in place while you reposition to wind again. I wound mine until it was nice and firm then replaced the set pin. put back together and never a problem again.
Thank you
Old 05-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #6

Having worked on and replaced the awning fabric I strongly suggest you download the documents to install the awning and replace the fabric. It will show you proper steps to repair and the correct number of spring winds for the size of the awning. Also how to set the anti-billow on the end, if it has one.

If the spring did unwind then there could be a part inside the tube that is broken causing a bind. In mine, is was the C clip that came off causing a bind when opening and not allowing it to fully close.

As mentioned, check the motor end for debris first.

I do not recommend adding winds while on the unit without finding the problem. There are very few parts in the tube and it can not unwind unless something is broken ( in the tube or with the end caps) or the end cap bracket on the spring side is loose with could allow end to spin and the spring to unwind.

The awning tube is easy to remove using ladders and a friend to help hold.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenss View Post
Having worked on and replaced the awning fabric I strongly suggest you download the documents to install the awning and replace the fabric. It will show you proper steps to repair and the correct number of spring winds for the size of the awning. Also how to set the anti-billow on the end, if it has one.

If the spring did unwind then there could be a part inside the tube that is broken causing a bind. In mine, is was the C clip that came off causing a bind when opening and not allowing it to fully close.

As mentioned, check the motor end for debris first.

I do not recommend adding winds while on the unit without finding the problem. There are very few parts in the tube and it can not unwind unless something is broken ( in the tube or with the end caps) or the end cap bracket on the spring side is loose with could allow end to spin and the spring to unwind.

The awning tube is easy to remove using ladders and a friend to help hold.

Good luck.
Thanks again everyone.
I looked at the awning a little closer last night.

- no debris
- awning was very lose. Turned easily
- removed spring side and test wound the device. It seemed to hold a test 5 turns. Was getting too dark to continue
- printed the carefree documents and will follow the procedure to put tension on the spring

- note... we had a heavy winds in Colorado this past week. Could hear a periodic pop. In if from the topper we are now having issues with. Could it have been slipping and losing its tension?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #8

I'm just guessing it is possible a strong wind caused the tube to flex enough it pulled the spring end of the tube out of the end cap allowing the spring to unwind. The tube would have to flex enough to allow the end to move about an 1. It looks like the fabric is ripped in the picture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdandShelley View Post
Thanks again everyone.
I looked at the awning a little closer last night.

- no debris
- awning was very lose. Turned easily
- removed spring side and test wound the device. It seemed to hold a test 5 turns. Was getting too dark to continue
- printed the carefree documents and will follow the procedure to put tension on the spring

- note... we had a heavy winds in Colorado this past week. Could hear a periodic pop. In if from the topper we are now having issues with. Could it have been slipping and losing its tension?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Is your awning fabric torn?
It sure looks so in the photo.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

Fabric is not ripped
Old 05-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #11

Found the likely cause.

Several of the screws are stripped in both end caps resulting in excess play on both ends. Allowing the roller to move.

Is there a procedure for fixing the screws threads where the cap mounts into the center?
Old 05-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #12

following. We windsurf and are therefore in very heavy wind a lot of the time. Our topper makes helacious noise at night in the wind, DH rigged something to keep it from billowing so much but all the suggestions here will come in handy when/if it refuses to roll up properly after being in so much wind so much.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #13

Picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdandShelley View Post
Found the likely cause.

Several of the screws are stripped in both end caps resulting in excess play on both ends. Allowing the roller to move.

Is there a procedure for fixing the screws threads where the cap mounts into the center?
I am guessing that the screws in the end cap are sheet-metal screws (look like wood screws). If you have clearance you might consider installing Rivnuts and using machine screws. This tool has always worked well for me.

Drill the holes the tube to accept rivnuts. Put a rivnut on the tool per instructions. Insert the tool and nut into the tubing and squeeze GENTLY. The rivnut will collapse on the back side and be locked in place. Once you've done all of the holes, you can assemble the end caps using machine screws.

Another option is to use these U-clips. Slide them over the existing stripped metal holes and now your screws are going into hardened spring steel.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide