Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #1

CB Radio replace with ?

I am considering getting rid of the cb radio in my DX3.

I am not sure how to use that space keeping in mind that the location above windshield center is out of the normal vision while driving.

Suggestions requested

Old 06-28-2020, 11:01 PM   #2
Retired Army Paratrooper

following
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
Commercial Member

We're looking to install the WABCO collision prevention system there maybe.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #4

Do you already have a HD Dashcam recorder and radar detector?
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
I am considering getting rid of the cb radio in my DX3.

I am not sure how to use that space keeping in mind that the location above windshield center is out of the normal vision while driving.

Suggestions requested

When I upgraded to the door panel speakers, I hid a sub woofer up there to the right of cb, if the cb was gone, you could hide the amp up there as well.
BrianSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
jkoenig24

I expect you could install a ham radio mobile base station in that spot. I'm not sure how Freightliner routed the antenna cable but, maybe you could use the CB antenna cable to pull a ham radio antenna through. Licensing for the first two levels of ham radio (Technician & General) are quite easy tests to pass with just a few hours of free online study. Level three, "Extra" requires a lot more studying. Match the mobile base station up with an inexpensive handheld ham radio (or two) and, you'll have reliable communications over modest distances. You can also connect to a local repeater station and literally be able to talk to the world.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #7

Ham Radio

I agree with JKoenig24 on the thought of a ham radio. VHF/UHF radios have the potential of connecting to an area ham radio repeater which can give you great distances of communication (Technician class license-first or entry license or higher required). HF radios require a more complex antenna system, but gives you much greater distances without the need for a local repeater system (this requires a general class or higher ham radio license).

To further complicate things (hopefully not too much): With the technician level license, you can use digital communication VHF/UHF radios and connect via the internet and talk all over the world. To achieve this, you would need to either connect over the internet using a local repeater with internet access, or you can use a separate device known as a hotspot (multiple types) that you use to connect your radio to, and use the hotspot to connect to the internet either through a wifi, or cell phone hotspot that allows you to speak with the world. A few choices here are: DMR, Fusion, or the one I use; D-Star. I certainly have a lot to learn about ham radio and I have been enjoying ham radio since I obtained my first license around 5 years ago. It is a journey and a very enjoyable trip so I recommend getting started with ham radio. It sure is nice to have communication options if the cell phone doesn't work, no signal, or if the battery goes dead, etc.
Good Luck
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #8
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
You know I'm always available for some demo work for you, will be that way in August what a perfect time to have it installed. Just saying
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #9

-.-. --.-

Was a HAM before military service. homebrew HF transmitter. Never got back into it.

I already have a dash cam with "collision" avoidance.

Still pondering what to do with the space.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Ok Brian...
Now you have our attention... is this retrofittable to earlier years?
Would be a fantastic feature! Mobile eye is “ok” but would really rather have something that helps fix an issue beyond just squawking at me.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:27 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdandShelley View Post
Ok Brian...
Now you have our attention... is this retrofittable to earlier years?
Would be a fantastic feature! Mobile eye is “ok” but would really rather have something that helps fix an issue beyond just squawking at me.
As I always say, anything is possible.

For us, it is an option from Freightliner. They install it at the plant, but it is an aftermarket part. I just know the bumper sticks out another 1" from where it sits today to house the camera.

So while it can be done (they do it) I am not sure what it would take....a new bumper possible.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #12

We upgraded to the Cobra with NOAA radio. Has helped us twice since installing it.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #13
jkoenig24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdandShelley View Post
We upgraded to the Cobra with NOAA radio. Has helped us twice since installing it.

What model Cobra did you install?
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #14

What i did was keep the CB and add my VHF radio to the right of it. We use the VHF for HAM and our race team. Cut a custom carbon fiber plate on my CNC to make it pretty =)

I put the antenna on the pass mirror and ran the wire in just like the stock cb ant on the other side...

As for the CB...Ironicly enough, everyone complaining about poor SWR on the cb, im at 1.4 without touching it!

--John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61498643364__3DAA0711-988B-4E17-92DD-80A56ED41BE8 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	233163  
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
What i did was keep the CB and add my VHF radio to the right of it. We use the VHF for HAM and our race team. Cut a custom carbon fiber plate on my CNC to make it pretty =)

I put the antenna on the pass mirror and ran the wire in just like the stock cb ant on the other side...

As for the CB...Ironicly enough, everyone complaining about poor SWR on the cb, im at 1.4 without touching it!

--John

Very nice! How did you get the coax from the right side mirror into the spot where your VHF radio is? It would be nice to have both the CB and the VHF/UHF Rig.

WK0P
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #16

After you route through the antenna and get into the door, come out the door with the other existing wires....

Then, there is a removable body panel at the top front of the door opening on the coach. Its a small piece, i think 4 bolts hold it on...once you get that off (VERY easy) there is a small square rubber covering an opening...

This is the easy part, the hard part is doing the mirror wire...

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio