Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2022, 06:07 PM   #1

Ceramic Coating

Has anyone put a ceramic coating on their Dynamax? What are your thoughts?
NOJO RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #2

I have no direct experience with it but as a car enthusiast there are apparently a lot of believers.

I had the front, mirrors and headlamps of my Boxster wrapped with a 3M product that is self healing and has protected the low sloping hood against rock chips very well. Couldn't see the value in a coating.

With the fine finish on a Dynamax, I can't see how it would be beneficial or cost effective to do the sides. I could see doing the front though with either a wrap or a coating.
Lubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:00 PM   #3

I have ceramic coated the front of our Force HD, two times, it really helped keep the bugs from burning to the Black paint. I felt it was well worth the time. It is a lot of work. Clay Bar first, buff out all perfections, put on ceramic coating, buff off. etc….

I used Adams polish, they have a UV light for the coating, it makes it easier to make sure you have coated the whole surface.

I will continue to coat the front end each year.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:35 PM   #4
KSH

I had my ram 2500 ceramic coated when new. Totally worth it. It's a 2018 and still looks brand new.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:18 AM   #5

Both of our vehicles have a ceramic coating. My 2019 Ram is still smooth as ice and never been waxed.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:50 AM   #6

I had it done on my 2021 Isata 5. It helps wash the bugs off the front. The water still beads up during a wash and it looks great. I found a detail guy who charged me just under $3K. I think that was a very good deal. Remember, it has to be done indoors so you need to find someone who can fit a big coach.
Every 6 months you should apply a ceramic infused spray. Just spray on and wipe off, very easy to do except the noise cap.

One thing I have learned with a ceramic coating, body shops don't like it. I had a skin crack on mine and took it back to the factory. They had to contact the paint company to see how to deal with the coating. A friend of mine had his Bronco damaged and the body shop had to do extra work in order to fix it.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOJO RV View Post
Has anyone put a ceramic coating on their Dynamax? What are your thoughts?
I have to pay to store mine in the winter, so no garage of my own big enough to protect the ceramic for 24 hours as it cures. Spent a lot of time looking at ceramic coatings on U tube and then decide to try 303 Graphene Nano coating.

I washed, clay bar, buffed out the imperfections, polished and then put 303 on. It can get wet right after you buff it off. Easy on and fairly easy off. Very happy with the results. bugs slide of with a hose. Beads nicely. Now that the paint is corrected it should be easier next year. wash, apply , buff off. I hope.

$20 for a bottle and that should do a rig. The bottle it comes in may be hosed, lots of complaints about that. So buy a new spray bottle. I splashed some in the sink during the transfer. So as an experiment I left it, weeks later you really had to work to get it off.

Pic 1. No 303 on Force. Pic 2. 303 on Force ( I do see the hazy spot i need to wipe off better) . Pic 3. 303 on the hood of my 8 year old Mini Van. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynamax no 303.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	280132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynamax 303.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	280133   Click image for larger version

Name:	van 303.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	562.3 KB
ID:	280134  
Trialrun85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:35 PM   #8

I’m headed to Disney this January and plan to have it done then. There are companies there that will come to your site and do a full application.
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:37 AM   #9

We put ceramic coming on 3 of our semi trucks 2 antique tractors and on the windows of the combine. I am impressed how easy they are to clean. However it was very expensive. Time will tell if it's worth it.
This is after. It's a dark picture but 2 of these trucks are 7 years old and never seen the inside of a shed. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1665142561879.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	280150
Old 10-07-2022, 06:43 AM   #10

I used to use meguiars ceramic spray wax on my MBS, the love bugs sure came off easier. and you can't find an easier processes, basically spray it on and hose it off.
I also use meguiars hand applied ceramic product on my truck, its also as easy as any normal wax job and works great.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I used to use meguiars ceramic spray wax on my MBS, the love bugs sure came off easier. and you can't find an easier processes, basically spray it on and hose it off.
I also use meguiars hand applied ceramic product on my truck, its also as easy as any normal wax job and works great.
That was my go to , I used their 2 part SIo2 wash and wax in the orange container in the foam cannon. really reduced the washings and shined nicely. After several days of paint correction just on 60% of the rig. 40% left to go. I wanted to see if 303 worked better.

I applied it 6 weeks ago, taken several trips and have not washed the rig, it rained this morning so I took a pic. The second pic is the level of correction I got it to. Being the old man on a ladder doing it, I am happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynamax Hood.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	675.1 KB
ID:	280153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynamax paint correction.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	280154  
Trialrun85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags