Old 05-22-2020, 04:50 PM   #1

Changing Water Filter in a 2020 Dynaquest XL

Hi All!

Newbie question here. Does the water system need to be drained to change the filter in the wet bay? Also, does anyone happen to know what kind of filter I need to buy for that? There wasn't one in there when we bought it last July. I'm not with the rig or the box of manuals and would like to buy a filter on my way there.

Many thanks!

Rightseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #2

Pic of the filter housing? Ours uses a kw1 filter.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

most probably the kw1 filter. they are not readily available at most rv stores. i forest river dealer may have them though most people seem to buy them online. they run around $30. also there is a wrench for about $8 that makes taking the canister off much easier.

i think i remember seeing a post a couple of months ago about a knockoff filter cartridge to use instead of the kw1 but i do not remember the details. and it was only a couple of dollars cheaper.

for many years this cartridge was installed in a FR1 canister. there were lots of posts about issues with this canister and many posts recommended replacing it with some other type of filter. recently forest river discontinued use of the FR1 canister and now uses the RC1 canister. both canisters use the same KW1 cartridge. there hasn't been much feedback that i have seen about whether the new RC1 canister solves the issues that some say the KW1 had. we have the KW1 and have not had any issues.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:29 AM   #4

Well we managed to cram a cellphone behind the canister (it's a clear one) to take a photo of the label, and it is a KW1. It sounds like we will be ordering one online (we're about 4 hours from the nearest dealer), as well as the wrench to change it.

So do we need to drain the whole system first? Mr. Leftseat is hoping that we can shut everything off including the water pump, stick a big bucket or tub under the housing and take it off. I'm a bit more cautious (I used to do emergency planning, and am always looking for how things could go sideways) and would like your advice before we fill the wet bay with 100+ gallons of water.
Rightseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:25 AM   #5

Mine is a Kw1. Iíve never had it leak much water when I take it apart. Of course the water pump is off and not connected to city water. My filter is mounted inside the coach in the bathroom, so itís higher than the tank and would be less likely to siphon.
My coach came with a wrench to change the filter. You might want to look around for it.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:18 AM   #6

no you do not have to drain the system to remove the canister / cartridge. but make sure you open a faucet before you try to remove it in order to relieve pressure in the lines. and of course have the water supply turned off.

if you have the FR1 canister it helps to put a hand at the bottom of the canister and push up as you turn the canister. the canister has little teeth at the top of it that lock into the top piece. i'm assuming these locking teeth are to keep the canister from coming loose while on the road. by pushing up you disengage them.

i do not think the RC1 canister does not have the locking teeth but i do not know this for a fact.

again, you need to remove pressure in the lines which will allow the canister to unscrew.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightseat View Post
Hi All!

Newbie question here. Does the water system need to be drained to change the filter in the wet bay? Also, does anyone happen to know what kind of filter I need to buy for that? There wasn't one in there when we bought it last July. I'm not with the rig or the box of manuals and would like to buy a filter on my way there.

Many thanks!
You can buy it here. Just take pressure off system and remove. You should have a plastic filter wrench that came with your unit.

https://waterpur.com/collections/fr1.../kw1-cartridge
2018: days camped 126
2019: days camped 97
2020: days camped 17
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #8

My 2016 Forester came with a filter in the wet bay. It takes the same filters that you may have in a whole house water filter, 10". I buy carbon block filters at 5 microns use them in my house and use them in the RV. I am taking the filter assembly out of the wet bay and making that a straight through (it is hard to winterize/dewinterize) I am going to use the filter assembly to put water in the fresh tank and to hook to city water externally with a short hose from the out side. It works the same except now I can have the filtered water in my fresh tank easily also.
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #9

Addendum, I use a strap wrench to remove the filter housing (after taking the pressure off) and only hand tighten it when reinstalling. A little tip, get some extra o-rings that seal the removable casing... you are SOL if it starts leaking when you are somewhere with ho hardware store nearby. Take the casing with you when purchasing o-rings, just in case.

johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter