Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2022, 01:09 PM   #21

Yea, I’ll never ever buy another class A unless it’s going to be used and occupied in one spot for 90% of its life. The DX3 is a truck, the bones are strong, and it is made for the drive.

I can tow 20K, it doesn’t overheat even with the heaviest trailer going wide open up a hill in 105 degree vegas heat. Let’s see most class A’s pull that off.

What about maintenance? Have fun getting to the motor on a class A. What a pain in the A**. On the DX3 you open the hood.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:59 AM   #22
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
The quality of tiffin is slowly getting worse as Thor takes over . Bob is still in the mix but have see Tiffin units start to suffer because of Thor . But Thor does that to all they buy . cheap it all up for profits dam the reputation .
IMO, Tiffin started the down the road of Workmanship degradation in about 2017, when they attempted to ramp up volumes. It didn't work out very well.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:30 AM   #23

We sold our class A to trade up to a Dynaquest.

Super C / Dynamax
- noisy because the engine is in the front; noise will drone on and on during a ride True, but that is the nature of front engine vs rear engine. Also, Front engine runs cooler and our 390XL just averaged 9.5 mpg over the 5500 miles we drove over the last two trips. I'd like to see ANY class A do that!
- they ride really really rough, True, rougher than our previous class A, but then it is much easier to drive while not sitting behind the front wheels.
- storage compartments are trash because of the driveline. While true you cannot have full width slideout shelves, This just requires a bit more skill in "packing"
- little more than trailer quality build. Couldn't be more wrong, at least for our 390XL. The quality and durability is second to none at the same price point.
- trailer build components All RV's use the same componentry, what is his issue?
- not a real gelcoat fiberglass roof; while technically fiberglass the Dynamax roof is FRP Who cares? Ours doesn't leak or rattle.
- tight cockpit with little room; poor seating with cramped passenger compartment Huh? The XL feels the same as a big pickup truck, what is he grousing about? When we park and rotate the seats, it feels the same as our previous class A.
- short wheelbase with long overhang means dragging the hitch easily Very true, but this applies to any Class A with overhang as well.
- build quality not on the luxury side Couldn't be more wrong, at least for our 390XL. The quality and durability is second to none at the same price point. No Our Dyna is not a Prevost, nor is it priced like one.

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:44 AM   #24
Steve & Linda M.

I don't think you can take that review seriously.

Maybe the reviewer has never been on the road in a Class C, or for that matter a "1 ton" pickup. At least not on a long cross country trip. Especially a gasser Class C going up a7% grade. Or for that matter even a diesel Sprinter based Class C. Both can be difficult to hold a conversation in, without trying to outdo the noise level.

For some reason they have it out for the Dynamax. It may not even be based on any level of experience with the products.

I feel that way about our Class A. It has been a less than a stellar experience. Plus I'm looking forward to the wife enjoying driving. She definitely doesn't presently.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
I don't think you can take that review seriously.

Maybe the reviewer has never been on the road in a Class C, or for that matter a "1 ton" pickup. At least not on a long cross country trip. Especially a gasser Class C going up a7% grade. Or for that matter even a diesel Sprinter based Class C. Both can be difficult to hold a conversation in, without trying to outdo the noise level.

For some reason they have it out for the Dynamax. It may not even be based on any level of experience with the products.

I feel that way about our Class A. It has been a less than a stellar experience. Plus I'm looking forward to the wife enjoying driving. She definitely doesn't presently.
My Sprinter Diesel engine is QUIET. We can easily have a conversation or listen to music.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:57 PM   #26
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
My Sprinter Diesel engine is QUIET. We can easily have a conversation or listen to music.
We had a THOR Siesta. Maybe some manufacturers do a better job at insulating the cab from noise.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFoxes View Post
AZRVEXPERT on TikTok (also as AZ Expert on YouTube) did a comparison of a Tiffin Phaeton (can't tell what floor plan or year) and what looks like a DX3. He says they are the same price point. He makes that point several times but looking at pricing online I'm not sure they are the same price point. He makes the following observations:

Super C / Dynamax
- noisy because the engine is in the front; noise will drone on and on during a ride
- they ride really really rough
- storage compartments are trash because of the driveline
- little more than trailer quality build
- trailer build components
- not a real gelcoat fiberglass roof; while technically fiberglass the Dynamax roof is FRP
- tight cockpit with little room; poor seating with cramped passenger compartment
- short wheelbase with long overhang means dragging the hitch easily
- stated again "did I mention they ride rough"
- build quality not on the luxury side

The rest of the video he extols the qualities of the Phaeton which is basically the positives of the Dynamax's negatives.

I love his videos on TikTok and Youtube. I've learned so much from them and frankly, I get a kick out of his style. I also know that he is a huge Tiffin fan. I didn't know he was so anti Super C.

Doesn't matter. We pickup our Europa next week and can't wait. We moved from a Itasca Meridian DP and also owned at one time a Damon Outlaw and for numerous reasons Class A's just aren't for us.

The Europa ticked all of our boxes. I hope it lives up to our expectations but I won't lie, I'm a little concerned about some his negative workmanship and quality comments.

I will tell you this about Dynamax's and RV's in general as far as quality...

At the end of the day, you're taking a mobile home on wheels and driving it over highways at 70-80mph. Things are GOING to break... some because we're moving down hte highway, other's because they may not be the quality of what you find in your home.

I have had two custom built aluminum trailers, two fifth wheels, a Newmar class A diesel pusher and now my DX3 (bought new in 2018). I can tell you that Dynamax's quality and customer service is second to none. Brian comes on this site on his own free will and TIME and helps more customers than anyone or any site I've been on.

I'm not a fanboy and support Dynamax because I have a Dynamax, I support Dynamax based on their product and customer service.

Videos like the one you watched where they bash a particular brand is absolutely to be taken with a grain of salt because until they have owned and driven one for any length of time, they have IMO nothing intelligent to say.

You're going to have something you don't like, it's given but everything is fixable and the enjoyment you receive will far outweigh any problems you will encounter.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
I will tell you this about Dynamax's and RV's in general as far as quality...

Brian comes on this site on his own free will and TIME and helps more customers than anyone or any site I've been on.

I'm not a fanboy and support Dynamax because I have a Dynamax, I support Dynamax based on their product and customer service.

Mark

^^This^^ is why I’m on my 2nd Dynamax. Well said Mark.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
^^This^^ is why I’m on my 2nd Dynamax. Well said Mark.
Me too.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:34 PM   #30

These details are why I'm on my 1st Dynamax. We carefully searched for the path we wanted to take this time. Was down to Dynamax and Renegade, Dynamax won out due to Brian, the support on this forum, the usable kitchen, and the rear window.

My wife and I have taken some pretty significant jumps in the camping portion of our life. We started with a Jayco 8' popup (mounted to a 25' Big-Tex flatbed), I could put my TJ behind it on the flatbed and take living quarters and wheelin' rig all at once, pulled with my diesel Ram. We then went to an R-Pod 176T travel trailer that could be towed by her Jeep JKU. Then went to an Imagine 2800BH, awesome trailer but soon realized that we can't really combine camping and wheeling once again. Now have the 3400KD XL which can tow the 20' flatbed with either Jeep on it.

Now to get this beast paid off so we can retire.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:36 AM   #31

We went from a Tiffin Phaeton 44OH to our Dynaquest XL. A few thoughts...
1. The XL's build quality is significantly better than the Phaeton. Just take a tour of the Tiffin production line and you will see for yourself...or just google a few videos and compare it to the Dynamax factory

2. Driving the XL is significantly more enjoyable. Yes... the M2 112 looks cool and it is much easier to drive in a crosswind compared to the Phaeton which was a sail in the wind...even with the tandem axle. My arms would be aching when we drove across west Texas in the Amarillo winds.

3. To be balanced... the Phaeton had more room (driver sits ahead of the front wheels and you do get close to 44' of functional living area.. however there was "nothing" between us and a front end collision. I like knowing that big Cummins is up there and Freightliner tests to NTSB standards.

4. With the Freightliner, we simply pull into any semi service center and get whatever we need done without anyone going into the XL.

5. The most important factor for us... our Tiffin burned to the ground in front of our house with only 3,500 miles and was six months old. A fire forensic investigation found a short in a GFI outlet in the wet bay. The internal breaker failed to work and so did the breaker at the breaker box. We caught the entire event on our security cameras at 2:00 in the morning. Definitely caught our attention as we were sleeping in it just 24 hours earlier.
Tiffin would not stand by their product and "lawyer'ed up" which caused us to do the same. They sent their VP of Customer Service to Dallas but he would not meet with us...only our attorneys and his legal council.
In summary, they sent us a letter that the incident was an insurance issue. The very bright spot was GEICO insurance... they were GREAT! Their attorneys partnered with ours then not only paid our original purchase price...but they covered the taxes and went beyond our coverage for the personal items in the RV. We are GEICO customers for life.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdandShelley View Post
We went from a Tiffin Phaeton 44OH to our Dynaquest XL. A few thoughts...
1. The XL's build quality is significantly better than the Phaeton. Just take a tour of the Tiffin production line and you will see for yourself...or just google a few videos and compare it to the Dynamax factory

2. Driving the XL is significantly more enjoyable. Yes... the M2 112 looks cool and it is much easier to drive in a crosswind compared to the Phaeton which was a sail in the wind...even with the tandem axle. My arms would be aching when we drove across west Texas in the Amarillo winds.

3. To be balanced... the Phaeton had more room (driver sits ahead of the front wheels and you do get close to 44' of functional living area.. however there was "nothing" between us and a front end collision. I like knowing that big Cummins is up there and Freightliner tests to NTSB standards.

4. With the Freightliner, we simply pull into any semi service center and get whatever we need done without anyone going into the XL.

5. The most important factor for us... our Tiffin burned to the ground in front of our house with only 3,500 miles and was six months old. A fire forensic investigation found a short in a GFI outlet in the wet bay. The internal breaker failed to work and so did the breaker at the breaker box. We caught the entire event on our security cameras at 2:00 in the morning. Definitely caught our attention as we were sleeping in it just 24 hours earlier.
Tiffin would not stand by their product and "lawyer'ed up" which caused us to do the same. They sent their VP of Customer Service to Dallas but he would not meet with us...only our attorneys and his legal council.
In summary, they sent us a letter that the incident was an insurance issue. The very bright spot was GEICO insurance... they were GREAT! Their attorneys partnered with ours then not only paid our original purchase price...but they covered the taxes and went beyond our coverage for the personal items in the RV. We are GEICO customers for life.
I hate that it happened, that is horrible but I'm glad you were taken care of and GEICO stood up to the plate.

Shame on Tiffin. I was looking at their products and while I realize that all manufacturers have issues, the difference is how they handle the problems. With 3500 miles, I think they should have had more input.

Thank God for insurance...

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
I hate that it happened, that is horrible but I'm glad you were taken care of and GEICO stood up to the plate.

Shame on Tiffin. I was looking at their products and while I realize that all manufacturers have issues, the difference is how they handle the problems. With 3500 miles, I think they should have had more input.

Thank God for insurance...

Mark
Amen Mark.... It was a big check and they didn't increase my premium.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:14 PM   #34

That's certainly impressive. Glad you fared out well, both physically and financially.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a