Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #1

Smile closet rod 2019 I 5 30fw

We left bellingham, wa last week for a 2+ month trip to nova scotia, maine, upper new york, etc, eventually for a business meeting in DC, so we have lots of clothes for differing weather and events. so our rear closet is loaded and clothes and hangers were falling off regularly. so, my heady wife reversed the hangers and viola, they no longer fell off. but, the next thing that happened was the whole rod, with all of the hangers still on, fell down and got bent. maybe the fact that it was about an inch too short contributed. so this morning I went to the thunder bay, home depot, where they were severely low on inventory, with no regular residential wood shelf pole. so rather than drive around, i went ahead and bit the bullet paying $47+ for a 12 foot finger jointed oak pole and regular household sockets. the funny thing is i had a five ft pole piece, that i forgot to bring, that i was going to use to support a privacy curtain behind the cab, which i could have cut down to work. at least i was able to straighten the bent metal rod for the privacy curtain. everything is fine,
from white river, on.
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
Commercial Member

No one even bothered to check the weigh rating before hanging all those clothes?

In really super fine print...the weight rating, is not actually in lbs. It says "one t-shirt, one pair of shorts, swim trunks per person". I didn't know anyone needed to carry anything more than that. Now that I do, I will submit an engineering change request.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
No one even bothered to check the weigh rating before hanging all those clothes?

In really super fine print...the weight rating, is not actually in lbs. It says "one t-shirt, one pair of shorts, swim trunks per person". I didn't know anyone needed to carry anything more than that. Now that I do, I will submit an engineering change request.
That's funny right there..........
WhaJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #4

Smile closet rod

lol, Remember the phrase " build it and they will come". my wife's response: give me a closet and i will fill it.

fyi, the replacement sockets had 3 instead of 2 screws, which due to the physics of the situation give it more than 50% more strength.
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:04 AM   #5
Commercial Member

If you run a longer screw...you might be able to get 53-55%. Unless you run nitrogen inside the tube...then, coupled with altitude and the lighter-than-air properties, it might make the bar float slightly and then you get 53.0000001%.

Am I a scientist? No, I just read a Tire Pressure Thread last night

Old 08-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
If you run a longer screw...you might be able to get 53-55%. Unless you run nitrogen inside the tube...then, coupled with altitude and the lighter-than-air properties, it might make the bar float slightly and then you get 53.0000001%.

Oh man the people in my office wondered what happened to me, I just read this response and I am rolling on the floor in a fit of laughter (I also read the Tire Pressure and Altitude thread).

Thanks for making my day. I am still smiling!!!
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Safety View Post

Thanks for making my day. I am still smiling!!!
Shining beacon of light in an otherwise dreary day at the office
Old 08-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #8

This just happened to me last night. Well. All the wifes clothes. I don't get a closet. But I'm 7 hours from home and going another 7 hours further away today. I'm only an hour away from Elkhart and wondering if I stop at Forest river if they can do anything for me.
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Shining beacon of light in an otherwise dreary day at the office
"glorious"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEliasz View Post
This just happened to me last night. Well. All the wifes clothes. I don't get a closet. But I'm 7 hours from home and going another 7 hours further away today. I'm only an hour away from Elkhart and wondering if I stop at Forest river if they can do anything for me.
When you say stop by FR...which FR? Not all plants run service out of that particular plant. Or are you a Dynamax owner?

Old 08-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
"glorious"

When you say stop by FR...which FR? Not all plants run service out of that particular plant. Or are you a Dynamax owner?
No I have a Georgetown 351ds. I'm thinking maybe I'll stop at home depot or similar and just buy a dowel and hanger rod cups and mount it to the sidewalls
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #11

Quote:
"glorious"
Damn I sure screwed that one up...
Old 08-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #12

KEliasz

That's what I did. Replaced it with 1 1/4" dowel. Still sagged so I put a support in the middle. Works great.
10Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Damn I sure screwed that one up...
no....no you didn't. It finally happened. I jumped into some other tier...so now it just says bclemens is a name known to all.

It's all down hill from there. GBL is no more.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #14

I didn’t realize there was an upside to GBL. Not sure being known to all is a good thing...
Old 08-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #15

Privacy rod = 2 command hooks, 2 eye screws and a carefully (measured twice) dowel rod. A package of curtain hooks and a giant beach towel completed the job.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:38 PM   #16

Lightbulb

Quote:

Just think of the possibilities if one was to use Helium and screws made of unobtainium
Old 08-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #17

We had the same thing happen while on the road in Utah. Couldn’t believe the poor quality of the rod although we had it a bit overloaded. Went to an Ace hardware, got a wooden dowell, cut to size and installed in the same brackets at a cost of less than $10. No problems in the two years since then.
Old_hippies is offline   Reply With Quote