Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #1

Cold weather planning?

Hello All,
We plan to camp in our daughters home driveway near Ogden Utah for a week or more in December.

I plan to put additional insulation in my water and utility bay. I know there is a sensor in the utility bay that should kick in the AquaHot below some temperature but haven’t tried it.

We will have 50 amp power but don’t need water or sewer.

Advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
BellaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:10 AM   #2
Señor Miembro

Electric blanket for bed and a space heater or two.
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #3

I would think the XL would be set up for winter camping. I keep a little space heater in the wet bay and keep the inside of the coach warm with an electric space heater. It’s in the 20s here and no problems. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use your water and sewer. I have my thermostat set at 50 so if the power would go off it would kick in. I’m not camping in it but I didn’t want to winterize it as we’ll be heading to Florida in January. When camping in cold weather I use an electric blanket as well. I’ve used it when boondocking as it draws very little current.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #4

A space heater in the coach cuts down on propane use significantly. It's also nice to heat the cab area whet where a lot of heat gets lost. If you have the fireplace you can skip it as the fireplace does a lot of the same

In the wet bay I find just a fan does wonders to circulate air and keep the thermostat running when you need it. I never added any insulation and have camped down to -15 with this strategy. I do have a space heater for when it gets below zero but I find it cuts out too much bathroom heat as mine are on the same cozy (I think they started doing separate ones now)

You can relax knowing you've got a coach well equipped for the cold.

Also I recommend bringing a heat gun. Ice seems to accumulate in the weirdest places sometimes. Mine had 5 saved my butt more than once
Old 12-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
In the wet bay I find just a fan does wonders to circulate air and keep the thermostat running when you need it.
so, you have a small heater in the wet bay on a thermostat (presumably from the factory) and you added a small fan to circulate the air in the winter??
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
so, you have a small heater in the wet bay on a thermostat (presumably from the factory) and you added a small fan to circulate the air in the winter??
It's a little more complicated. So now they come from the factory with a thermostat that controls one of the aqua hot heat sinks. I was before this and added my own, so my thermostat controls the heat sink that heats the wet bay as well as the bathroom. Too much external heat in the wet bay and I get no aqua hot heat in my bathroom. I have a 110v heater that has a fan mode so most of the time (above 0F) I just run it in fan mode and it seems to balance perfectly between keeping the water hose on the opposite side of the bay from freezing while still calling for enough heat to heat my bathroom. A separate space heater may be just as simple if you aren't limited like me, but still I think the circulation to keep from getting cold spots in the bay was what I'm getting at.