Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2021, 10:08 AM   #1

“Compt Heat” wet bay

I have a Isata 5, 34DS, does the “compt heater” switch/button turn on a heater? I’m assuming nothing is hooked up to this button. Can I wire a heater to this button and how? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59715A24-2312-4DE8-AF0D-DA8887D8DA27.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	600.0 KB
ID:	248867  
Lvnthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Commercial Member

That is correct - the Compartment Heat button will only apply to units with the Xplorer Package, which comes with a 12V Auxiliary Heater in that sewer bay. After speaking with our electrical engineer and head of service, I learned that wiring a heater into this button (and thus your Firefly multiplex system) is something that can be done, but we'd recommend contacting a certified RV technician to accomplish that task.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
JGraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGraber View Post
That is correct - the Compartment Heat button will only apply to units with the Xplorer Package, which comes with a 12V Auxiliary Heater in that sewer bay. After speaking with our electrical engineer and head of service, I learned that wiring a heater into this button (and thus your Firefly multiplex system) is something that can be done, but we'd recommend contacting a certified RV technician to accomplish that task.
We have that switch in our 2021 Isata 5 30FW without the explorer package. Can a RV tech add a space heater to that switch as installed in the explorer package?
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Yes - as stated above - "After speaking with our electrical engineer and head of service, I learned that wiring a heater into this button (and thus your Firefly multiplex system) is something that can be done, but we'd recommend contacting a certified RV technician to accomplish that task." Our Dynamax Service Department can be contacted for any additional guidance your certified tech may need. 574-262-3474 ext. 55203.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
JGraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
Commercial Member

I would ask the question of "why"?

The reason for the Aux heater is simply to provide aux 12V heat in the event you are in EXTREME cold environments. Because the outside compartments are not as insulated as the "inside", if you are out skiing for the day and turn the inside T-stat down to 55 or 60. Well, the outside may cool off MUCH quicker so this will keep the outside from freezing in that scenario. It DOES NOT keep the inside from freezing. Your coach, Xplorer package or not, already has a heat run that dumps into that area and heats as long as the furnace is on.

Too many times, I see people think they can just plug into electric and let that heater keep everything from freezing. That is NOT the case. Your inside water lines will freeze if the LP furnace is not running.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #6

While Brian addresses the question of why, the how is really not hard.

There should be an unterminated set of 12V wires in the bay, prolly near where the factory heater would be mounted. These will go to a 12V heater, if you can find one that is reliable (they seem to keep letting the smoke out, and stop working). If you pull down the 34DS firefly 12V harness schematic, it will show the number that should be on those loose wires.

In the firefly panel, under floor plan options, my 28SS has option for "tank compartment". Turn it on, and I have control for the heater and display for the tank comps temperature. I suspect the compartment temp sensor is built as part of the harnesses, so you may have the temp display without having to add a thermocouple.

Note: this is what I found on my non-explorer 28SS, but yours should be similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7583.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	248876  
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote