Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #1

Concern with refrigerator not getting cold

This is my first time using my new Dynamax Isata 4 25FW in hot weather and I'm really frustrated at the terrible cooling of the Dometic refrigerator. It's maintaining only about 60 degrees and the food is going bad really fast. Freezer appears to be working fine. I used the refrigerator over the winter in mild climates with no issues. I'm at a lose what to do now to make it cold inside.

This is now my first time taking the RV into a hotter climate. I'm currently in southern Florida and it's 85 degrees and sunny. This is also the first time using the Dometic refrigerator with the AC running too. Perhaps the rig is struggling to keep up with the electrical needs of AC and the refrigerator working at the same time? Perhaps it just runs poor in hot climates.

Is this normal or should I look into a possible repair issue?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Please also let me know if your fridge works fine in the hot summer so I can better understand what is normal for an RV refrigerator.
eagle fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #2

Please post model number of your fridge. It will help members provide better feedback.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #3

I have a Dometic DMR 702RB in my Isata 3. Do you have a display like the picture below? If so, is it in Automatic mode? Have you tried switching it to propane from Auto just to see if the propane can cool where the electric didn’t?

I don’t think it has anything to do with running the AC. We were just in Florida and our Dometic ran cold the whole time. Also has during the hot Texas summer with the AC running constantly.

I would try the propane just to see if there is a difference in performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD9E04B8-8937-4AE9-A1B3-1E070A79DFF5.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	204189  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I have a Dometic DMR 702RB in my Isata 3. Do you have a display like the picture below? If so, is it in Automatic mode? Have you tried switching it to propane from Auto just to see if the propane can cool where the electric didn’t?

I don’t think it has anything to do with running the AC. We were just in Florida and our Dometic ran cold the whole time. Also has during the hot Texas summer with the AC running constantly.

Were you parked on an incline with the refrigerator running, recently?

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

It will cool quicker on propane.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Check the outside vents....there were a few that got out and the paint shop did not take the masking top off of the top vent....they got the lower but not the upper. Been almost a year since I have seen one.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle fire View Post
This is my first time using my new Dynamax Isata 4 25FW in hot weather and I'm really frustrated at the terrible cooling of the Dometic refrigerator. It's maintaining only about 60 degrees and the food is going bad really fast. Freezer appears to be working fine. I used the refrigerator over the winter in mild climates with no issues. I'm at a lose what to do now to make it cold inside.

This is now my first time taking the RV into a hotter climate. I'm currently in southern Florida and it's 85 degrees and sunny. This is also the first time using the Dometic refrigerator with the AC running too. Perhaps the rig is struggling to keep up with the electrical needs of AC and the refrigerator working at the same time? Perhaps it just runs poor in hot climates.

Is this normal or should I look into a possible repair issue?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Please also let me know if your fridge works fine in the hot summer so I can better understand what is normal for an RV refrigerator.

From your description sounds like your have venting issues , blocked off air flow along the back side of Fridge . since it worked in milder climates , cooler air . now you're head to hotter areas , you may need to add a couple fans in the back to help air flow , most use computer cooling type 12 volt fans .

Also is this a double door fridge ? if so make sure the center seal is closing and making a good seal
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #8

masking tape on vent was the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Check the outside vents....there were a few that got out and the paint shop did not take the masking top off of the top vent....they got the lower but not the upper. Been almost a year since I have seen one.
You were correct. Thank you for your help figuring this out. What a simple fix to a terrible situation. We lost so much food these past few days and it was just tape.

Thanks for letting me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K3k%RxtwQnCiPd8gHP4Etg.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	204217  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle fire View Post
You were correct. Thank you for your help figuring this out. What a simple fix to a terrible situation. We lost so much food these past few days and it was just tape.

Thanks for letting me know.
Can you shoot me the last 8 of your VIN so we can document? I know we have this added to a check list now, but I want to make sure this was before the time frame when we didn't list it specifically.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Can you shoot me the last 8 of your VIN so we can document? I know we have this added to a check list now, but I want to make sure this was before the time frame when we didn't list it specifically.

My opinion I think eagle fire is owed a fridge worth of food for this mistake, what do you think bclemens?

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #11
Commercial Member

I think you are certainly entitled to your opinion. My only real concern however is with the satisfaction of eagle fire.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #12

There are two VINs associated with my RV so I'll send both since I'm not sure which you need.

80C67546 or HDC67546

I have a split model year 2018 Dynamax Isata 4 25FW.

2017 Ford chassis but it is a 2018 model year. I purchased new in November of 2018.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #13

Brian and Dynamax did right by me. What a wonderful company. They called me directly this morning and were so incredibly helpful. Wow!!! That is wonderful customer service.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #14

thank you for having your warranty manager contact me this morning. I appreciate you and Dynamax. Wonderful customer service and you all helped me fix the issue easily and took care of making everything right. EXCEPTIONAL!!!
Old 05-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #15
Retired Army Paratrooper

Got to love that customer service, Dynamax clearly takes care of their customers. Clearly why I bought my Dynamax and will buy another when needed.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post

The temp light in picture looks like it is on warmest setting. I believe the warmest is to the left and gets colder as the temp button makes the light go to the right. At least mine gets too cold when all the way to the right.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
So, what can the OP (eagle fire) do in order to be reimbursed for the food that was lost due to the factory mistake?

Seems that Forest River should step up and make their buyer "whole" again.

You have the opportunity to generate some good press or some bad press, which will it be?
Old 05-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
So, what can the OP (eagle fire) do in order to be reimbursed for the food that was lost due to the factory mistake?

You have the opportunity to generate some good press or some bad press, which will it be?
Seems like the OP was happy. That is good press. No sense in trying to drive Brian and other reps away if the guy with the problem is happy.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #19

Quote:

I don't currently own a MH. But if and when I'm interested in buying one, I would look at this Dynamax line first. Why? Solely because of the help I have seen Brian offer here on this forum. The OP is ecstatic and satisfied. Why are you looking a gift horse in the mouth?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #20

Quote:

My gosh! takes all types.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator