Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2024, 11:12 AM   #1

Correct procedure for a remote propane fill

I've searched this forum, you tube and the web in general and haven't found anywhere that talks about this. What is the correct procedure for filling with the remote fills like on the Europa 31ss?

I ask because I had my propane filled the other day and the fellow doing it just screwed in a nozzle and fired up the pump, it transferred a bunch of propane but he never opened the bleed valve to the right of the filler, and I thought that needed to be done at some point in the procedure?

I seem to recall when portable tanks are filled they use a screwdriver and open up a bleed screw or something when they start, is this necessary with the remote fill?

thank you
1998 Monaco Windsor 34PST
gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:56 AM   #2

Usually they open the bleeder, and at 3/4 of a tank it starts to hiss out, then he shuts off the pump & closes the bleeder. You can only fill a tank 3/4 fullm my 24gal tank will only hold 18 gal.
Tony Ramirez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 12:27 PM   #3
2022 Dynamax Europa 31SS

I just had my propane filled at a Loves truck stop (Brush Colorado) and the attendant said they were no longer allowed to touch anything other than the fill port. He just connected the hose, turned on the propane pump and let it go until it stopped. It filled slowly and only to 41% on the gauge.

I've always had problems with slow filling. The previous station opened the bleeder and managed to get about 60% on the gauge. Something is not quite right with my setup but, at this point, I'm just resigned to dealing with partial fills until something plugs completely.
M_I_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 12:58 PM   #4
D W

If you don't open the bleeder valve while filling you'll never get a satisfactory fill. It must stay open until a vapor starts coming out, then it is closed and the pump is shut off. If they don't or refuse to open the bleeder I suggest you find another propane vendor.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 04:44 PM   #5

If you are pumping propane, it should get to at or near 80% of full. Opening the bleeder is only necessary if you have air in the system, the propane tank is hot, or you are trying to gravity feed the tank.
as long as you are pumping relatively cool liquid propane into your tank the pressure difference causes your tank to cool, and condense the vaporized propane back into a liquid. except in very hot weather, you should be able to pump the tank back to about 80% full again.

Your small BBQ size tanks though have a small siphon tube that extends down from the blow off to a level about 80% full. Those tanks don't have a fuel gauge to determine fuel level, so you open the blow off and fill till the liquid starts to spit out and stop there.

The newest gen of BBQ tanks have an Overfill Protection float that stops the fill when the tank gets over 80% full. you could fill those without the bleed valve, but most use it out of habit. DR
dangerranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
If you are pumping propane, it should get to at or near 80% of full. Opening the bleeder is only necessary if you have air in the system, the propane tank is hot, or you are trying to gravity feed the tank.
as long as you are pumping relatively cool liquid propane into your tank the pressure difference causes your tank to cool, and condense the vaporized propane back into a liquid. except in very hot weather, you should be able to pump the tank back to about 80% full again.

Your small BBQ size tanks though have a small siphon tube that extends down from the blow off to a level about 80% full. Those tanks don't have a fuel gauge to determine fuel level, so you open the blow off and fill till the liquid starts to spit out and stop there.

The newest gen of BBQ tanks have an Overfill Protection float that stops the fill when the tank gets over 80% full. you could fill those without the bleed valve, but most use it out of habit. DR
This is the answer !!!!

All propane tanks now have OPD fill ports. OPD is Overfill Protection Device. They shut off the liquid propane flow at 80% tanks liquid capacity.
The bleed valve is a holdover from the days before OPD was mandated. In most cases, the OPD will stop the flow before the bleeder valve spits liquid propane.
Twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:18 AM   #7
D W

The vapor purge has nothing to do with the OPD float. It only shows that it is being displaced by "liquid" petroleum. There's a reason this bleed screw is on the propane valve.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, remote