Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Please rate your satisfaction with ownership of your Dynamax Coach
Highly satisfied: Best purchase I've ever made 4 30.77%
Satisfied so far: 7 53.85%
Don't use my Dynamax coach as much as I expected, still like it 3 23.08%
I worry that I'm not getting my money's worth out of ownership 0 0%
I love my Dynamax coach and resolve put it on the road more 4 30.77%
Ownership is more expensive than I expected and I have doubts 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Viet Nam era Navy veteran

Cost Comparison: Dynamax Grand Sport GT & Aircraft

This cost comparison allows owners of Dynamax truck based Recreational Vehicles to see, in a simplified format, the various operational costs associated with use of a Dynamax vehicle and compare those costs with those incurred by owners of turboprop and turbofan aircraft. The author produced the following charts in hopes that owners will gain a new understanding of operational costs, particularly in comparison to those experienced by aircraft owners.

The comparison of Dynamax operational costs to aircraft is fair for 2 reasons:
1. Dynamax motor coaches provide comfortable travel to distant locations with much of the same privacy as travel by private aircraft.
2. Dynamax motor coaches provide large cabins for passengers that are temperature controlled and large crew areas for operation of the vehicle, matching the attributes of cabin class privately owned turboprop and turbofan aircraft. Both types of vehicles offer on board restroom facilities, a galley, navigation equipment, communication equipment, and entertainment systems. There are also areas where passengers may rest while in route; which are common to both types.

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Fury, Dynamax Freightliner Columbia Grand Sport GT GC400GT
Papa Bear, Jeep Commander Overland
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

Cost Comparison: Dynamax Freightliner Columbia Grand Sport GT to Various Aircraft

Most people with agree that travel by private jet aircraft is the epitome of luxury travel.

A careful consideration of the provided data will reveal that Dynamax owners can enjoy almost all the benefits of turbojet or turbofan private aircraft at a much lower cost and without the complexity of managing crews, FAA mandated inspections, compliance with FAA airframe changes and TSBs, and the scheduling of ground transportation and billeting at both ends of a trip.

While it is true that the cruising speed of a Dynamax is less than that of the aircraft used in this comparison, the overall threshold to threshold time (and derived average speed) certainly can be very good. If the Dynamax is prepared for a trip the day prior; the departure on the day of the trip is nearly instantaneous. A Dynamax starts the trip from the moment the wheels roll. My Dynamax is stored 4 miles from my primary residence. We can load personal baggage, disconnect shore power, roll out, and hook up the Jeep Commander in 30 minutes. If we aren’t taking the Jeep, we can be on the road in 15 or 20 minutes after leaving the house.

The aircraft owner has to travel to the airport and the crew has to arrive even earlier to inspect the aircraft, file the flight plan, ensure the load of food, drink, and water is adequate, preflight, load the passengers and baggage, start up and bring the avionics on line, wait for permission to taxi, wait for flight plan authorization, taxi to active runway, wait for incoming traffic to clear, and taxi out and takeoff when tower grants permission. This can take quite a while (2 hrs.?). By the way, from the time the engines are started, the time starts on engine time and fuel burn. At the destination airport, most of the taxi in and parking details are handled by the flight crew, but it still takes time. After landing, ground transportation must be sought or coordinated prior to landing. Then the trip is only completed when the owner and passengers arrive at the intended location (1 hr ?). The longer the trip, the greater the time advantage for aircraft travel.

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Old 05-24-2020, 08:01 PM   #3

Cost Comparison: Grand Sport GT and Various Private Aircraft

In addition to thePDF charts, here are JPG versions of the charts

Click image for larger version

Name:	compare chart top.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	229810

Name:	compare chart 2nd part.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	229811

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Old 05-24-2020, 08:05 PM   #4

Cost Comparison: Dynamax Grand Sport GT and Various Private Aircraft

The Great Benefit of owning a Truck Based RV rather than an airplane

Owners of large cabin class boats and owners of truck based RVs are fortunate because they can spend time in their vehicles without having to be in motion and accumulating engine run time. Quality time in the vehicle counts as obtaining “use” of the vehicle. Each 8 day and 8 hour period spent in the vehicle adds 200 hours of usage to the total use for the year.
As an example, if a vehicle has a Total Cost for the year of $10,000 then the Total Hourly cost will equal $50 per hour.

If the owner stays in the RV for 8 days and 8 hours, then there is an additional 200 hours of use. For this example, the $10,000 Total Annual Cost can be divided by 400 hours, yielding a much lower $25 Total Hourly Cost. The Total Costs per mile and Seat-Mile Cost do not change.

By staying in the vehicle for 25 days, an owner can accumulate 600 of additional use, resulting in a Total Hourly Cost of only $12.50.
Campground or resort fees will be extra and are not a part of this cost analysis. Ideally, owners will camp for free on public lands or on private property of friends, organizations, or personally owned land (preferred option).

Alas, owners of cabin class turboprop or jet aircraft are denied this attractive option to reduce the Total Hourly Cost number. Unless an owner has a temperature controlled hangar; during most of the year, the aircraft cabin will be uncomfortable to sit in for very long. Even with a comfortable temperature, most observers would probably be somewhat amused to see an owner going out to the airport to sit in the plane. Most owners are specifically, by insurance regulations, denied the right to sit on the flight deck without a licensed pilot being present. Sitting in the passenger area is permitted. Almost the only time an owner will get to be in the plane is when the plane is being flown. At up to $7,881.06 per hour, I certainly hope the owner enjoys the flight!

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Old 05-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #5

A word to those concerned that they are underutilizing their investment

A word to Dynamax Owners who are concerned that they are underutilizing their investment in their vehicle[/U]

All owners experience occasional regrets or, rather, a feeling that they are not “getting their money’s worth” or “not using it enough to justify the expense”. These feelings are ALWAYS to be found accompanying the ownership of luxury goods. If a person occupies an apartment or house that is larger than one bedroom, most likely there will be times that they don’t “use” one or more rooms each day or even at all during a week. Have a cottage or lakeside cabin? Use it every day? This is what I’m talking about.

The above cost comparison assumes a base annual usage of 200 hours. Owners of single engine piston aircraft struggle to achieve this amount of annual usage. The recommended usage is 300 hours. Obviously, more usage drives down the hourly costs, but, alas, more usage increases total annual costs, so there’s a tradeoff.

200 hours represent 2.3% of the hours in a year. If one uses the motor coach 200 hours per year, it is easy to see where the “I’m not using this thing enough to justify it” thoughts can come from. The beauty of motor coach ownership is the no cost use offered by RVs.

Always think of ways that an owner can use the motor coach at almost no cost. For example, during the middle of a week take the Dynamax to a local park and enjoy dinner aboard while seeing different scenery than out your dining room window. Plan more short trips. Spend more time cleaning and polishing your vehicle. I recommend Aero Wash/Wash. It’s great and really protects the gorgeous paint ! Plan trips with other Dynamax owners. I recommend road trips where the road and no cost stops become the theme. Emphasize the truck aspect of your Dynamax more than the RV aspect. It can be fun!

In conclusion, become one with your motor coach. Know it and know it well. Become the resident expert on your vehicle.

The fact that you own a powerful, comfortable, and reliable Dynamax motor coach provides a sense of freedom and independence that is difficult to value in dollars. Don’t worry about whether you are “getting your money’s worth”! Enjoy owning your vehicle, let it represent your reward for years of hard work and careful management of your wealth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wolf right front.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	229813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolf & Fury driver side.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	229814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fury right side.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	229815  

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Old 05-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #6

If one ever has to question if their RV, regardless of type, is worth the investment then they shouldn’t have bought it in the first place.

BTW, the airplane numbers are so off on the low side the entire comparison is invalid. They forgot to consider the cost of money given up for the privilege of owning (not operating) a G550 is between 2.5 and 5 million dollars every year.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:47 PM   #7

Those items (sunk costs) are not part of this comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
BTW, the airplane numbers are so off on the low side the entire comparison is invalid. They forgot to consider the cost of money given up for the privilege of owning (not operating) a G550 is between 2.5 and 5 million dollars every year.
The items you mentioned are not part of this comparison. Nor are the "monthly payments" considered. Payments will certainly increase the annual cash flow required to maintain ownership.

The comparison presented assumes that the assets are paid for. Lost investment returns are a mythical calculation. Future returns are certainly not guaranteed and most such calculations do not factor for risk of investment losses.

Depreciation was not shown on this cost analysis because powerful turbo diesel motor coaches and turbojet aircraft often appreciate! These assets are often considered to be havens when a high inflation economy develops.

Thank you for reading this post. I understand why you might make this point. Since this is a forum for Dynamax Owners, I built a somewhat informal analysis that I hope covered the common expenses owners face.

I hope everyone will see that Dynamax ownership is quite a good bargain compared to jet aircraft while providing many if not most of the benefits of private aircraft travel.

Thanks again.Click image for larger version

Name:	Wofl and Fury stern.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	229817

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Old 05-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #8

Wolf, I gotta say that is a beautiful coach. You obviously maintain it at a high level. What chassis is it built on? Doesn’t look like an M2 from the side picture.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #9

I would never own a private jet. NetJets can get you anywhere for about $5000. And you don't have to go through security. Just have your driver pull right up to the airplane, get out, board and start drinking. When you get to your destination, the rental is sitting on the tarmac waiting for you. Try to beat that time with any motor vehicle.

I like to camp, though. Not a big fan of traveling. And private jets make terrible campers.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #10

Next on the agenda: Cost comparing Ranger Bass Boat and Aircraft Carrier.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Next on the agenda: Cost comparing Ranger Bass Boat and Aircraft Carrier.
When I was learning to drive USS JFK carrier back in the late 90's, the estimated total cost to operate an aircraft carrier (and all the aircraft) was $50,000 / ft traveled.

I've never driven a bass boat.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
NXR

Wolf Alaska, you have waayyyyy too much free time on your hands.

Since I worked in corporate aviation for a quarter-century and probably have flown on corporate jets far more than the average person here, I found your comparison interesting.

One thing different is that most jets are not owned or operated by an individual as a motorhome usually is. The ownership and operation/maintenance are by a corporation controlled by a company or an individual. That allows a lot of cost-shifting and expense tax games. For example, if a CEO uses the company jet for a 20-hour (flight time) private trip, that trip under IRS regs is imputed income to the CEO. But unless the regs have changed, the imputed income to the CEO is equivalent to that of a first class airline ticket.

So if I fly from Ohio to Hawaii for a personal trip and my first class round trip ticket is $5,000, then my personal use of the corporate jet adds $5,000 to my income even if it cost the company $140,000 in direct and indirect costs.

And...if the Board, which is comprised of many of my buddies, writes a policy saying that I am required to fly on the company aircraft for security purposes, then I have no imputed income at all.

Ray
Old 05-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #13
jkoenig24

I find it curious that the survey NEVER mentions / has the option of "Disappointing build quality".

I'm told that AFTER I bought my 2015 DX3-37RB (bought in May, 2014), build quality was improved (poor workers were fired). I believe that most of the issues would have ben caught had a PROPER inspection been done BEFORE my DX3 left the factory. Whoopee.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #14
Broken Toe

No matter how much less it costs, the Dynamax does not have the same crisp feeling of precision and directional stability when inverted that Beech King Air does.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
No matter how much less it costs, the Dynamax does not have the same crisp feeling of precision and directional stability when inverted that Beech King Air does.
The difference being, of course, that that will be the second-last thing you feel. The last thing being the splat.

Ray
Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #16

Not to mention it (Fixed Wing or RV) can't land on an Island in Prince William sound or a mountain peak over looking ANWR!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VDZscan0003a.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	229963   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150309_111557 a.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	229964  
Old 05-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #17

This one could, although it would make a terrible mess of things.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The difference being, of course, that that will be the second-last thing you feel. The last thing being the splat.

Ray
Naaahh. The KingAir does a nice barrel roll. You just can’t stay inverted. Now, a Falcon 20 is a whole different animal.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #19

As a former aircraft owner (1970s) I can't imagine anything more expensive to own. Yearly inspections alone might bankrupt some of us. I've never flown the KingAir but I've flown many other Beechcraft models. Such fond memories.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:34 PM   #20
jkoenig24

Alphabetically, things that typically cost more to own than they do to rent:
1: Aircraft
2: Boats
3: RVs
4: Women...........
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags