Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #61

For one, it is 25a each for solar and DC to DC converter so if you want more than 25a if solar you can't get more. Been awhile since I looked at the specs so I will have to look and get back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Can you elaborate on why they are not happy with this set-up as I'm looking to install a system in my DP and I'm trying to gather any and all information of current systems and components out there.
Thxs
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
For one, it is 25a each for solar and DC to DC converter so if you want more than 25a if solar you can't get more. Been awhile since I looked at the specs so I will have to look and get back.
Thanks I've started looking at specs on everything and read what I can but a lot to look at and I'm still not sure how much boondocking we may do in the future so trying to see what I need with possible future expansion which is the key IMHO. Overbuild now and add panels or batteries only in the future.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVLUVR View Post
how many amps does the mattress pad pull?
I looked back at my notes. Sadly most of my testing was done using SOC chart before I got the Bmv712.

But one set of notes after Bmv712 install said this:
Turned on my side (of queen sized pad), setting to Low. Pulled 5.8a for 15 mins, it heats on HI to warm the bed at the beginning regardless of setting. That's just what it does. Then on LOW it cycles on and off drawing 1.7 amps when on. I usually sleep on 3 but don't have data on that. The pad heating element is called low voltage, not 120vac heating wires. So besides a controller on each bedside there is also a transformer. It works great. Can leave the camper cool but still have a warm bed.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #64

I would go with separate items. Personally, stay away from the renogy stuff. I love Victron and it all integrates together we'll. Controller, battery monitor and dc to DC converter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Thanks I've started looking at specs on everything and read what I can but a lot to look at and I'm still not sure how much boondocking we may do in the future so trying to see what I need with possible future expansion which is the key IMHO. Overbuild now and add panels or batteries only in the future.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #65

Quote:
I would go with separate items. Personally, stay away from the renogy stuff. I love Victron and it all integrates together we'll. Controller, battery monitor and dc to DC converter.
Don't know about much of the "Renogy Stuff" but am more than pleased with the DC-DC charger (stand alone, no solar controller in combination) that I installed for charging while underway. Other than a slightly loud cooling fan it's working perfectly but then again I don't sit anywhere near the charger while underway. It's in the trailer next to batteries

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #66

The Victron Orion came out after Renogy came out with theirs. Victron settings can be done over bluetooth. At first, I recommended the Renogy but the Victron is a nicer unit. I know many that use it. I will likely never get one but it will be the Victron if I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Don't know about much of the "Renogy Stuff" but am more than pleased with the DC-DC charger (stand alone, no solar controller in combination) that I installed for charging while underway. Other than a slightly loud cooling fan it's working perfectly but then again I don't sit anywhere near the charger while underway. It's in the trailer next to batteries
Old 09-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #67

Quote:
No offense but I think It's hard to make a blanket statement such as this. Renogy is a low cost item and Victron is top end pricing. There was a time in my yoot I couldn't have afforded Victron.

That said, on my second install I put in a Renogy (Adventurer, I think) PWM 30 amp for all lead acid and lithium and with the separate Bluetooth dongle. At purchase it had a 1yr warranty. Before the warranty was up Renogy raised warranty level to two years on new and old units not yet out of warranty. I thought that was nice. Unrelated to the warranty extension I had a failure that was covered under warranty. I thought it was the charge controller but they had me send both the charge controller and Bluetooth dongle to them for testing. It took 10 days but they verified that it was toast and sent me two new pieces. I thought it was good customer service.

I had FLA batteries at the time, and while I waited, we decided to go lithium and Victron. I love the BattleBorn and Victron but I guess I'm saying there's a place for the Renogy price point. I wouldn't want to dissuade someone if that's where their budget is.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #68

By the time you buy the bluetooth module, you are not talking much difference....$60 Also, the Renogy MPPT controllers are very large for some reason. I would buy an Epever over the Renogy

I own 2 small epever for keeping batteries floated..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
No offense but I think It's hard to make a blanket statement such as this. Renogy is a low cost item and Victron is top end pricing. There was a time in my yoot I couldn't have afforded Victron.

That said, on my second install I put in a Renogy (Adventurer, I think) PWM 30 amp for all lead acid and lithium and with the separate Bluetooth dongle. At purchase it had a 1yr warranty. Before the warranty was up Renogy raised warranty level to two years on new and old units not yet out of warranty. I thought that was nice. Unrelated to the warranty extension I had a failure that was covered under warranty. I thought it was the charge controller but they had me send both the charge controller and Bluetooth dongle to them for testing. It took 10 days but they verified that it was toast and sent me two new pieces. I thought it was good customer service.

I had FLA batteries at the time, and while I waited, we decided to go lithium and Victron. I love the BattleBorn and Victron but I guess I'm saying there's a place for the Renogy price point. I wouldn't want to dissuade someone if that's where their budget is.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #69
Consumer of Space

I put in 3 Tesla modules (15,000 Watt hours) with BMS and 4kW 24 volt inverter for $7,000. That's roughly 1,250 amp hours at 12V.

I can (and have) run one air conditioner, lights and TVs for the family for 6 hours of driving without the generator running, no problem. While I do have 1kW of solar on the roof, the alternator does not charge the batteries underway. When it comes time to charge, the inverter/charger will throw 2500 watts at the batteries. Theoretical time to charge from 50% to full is 3 hours on the generator or shore power.

The way I use it, if we want to cool the coach with AC for a few hours and the batteries are around 50% I'll fire up the generator. This way the generator can charge the batteries and run the AC at the same time. For similar reasons, if the batteries are below 50%, I'll run the generator while using the microwave or convection oven.

If the batteries are much above 50% the solar can keep up pretty well and I don't worry about it.