Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2021, 08:49 PM   #1

Crack in fiberglass roof

Apologize for the duplicate post...wasn't sure if it got lost in the other thread. Last weekend we had water coming in from the ceiling (and even showing up in one of the storage bays) on the passenger side. Noticeable after a rain, but also somewhat noticeable when the rear A/C was running. Finally got a chance to get up on the roof and found it cracked around the center mounting bracket of the rear false awning on the passenger side. I'll inspect all the other areas while I'm up there, but, fortunately, this is exactly where you would have thought it was coming in.

Can I simply clean that area really well and cover it all with a new coat of dicor and/or dicor sealing tape, or do I need to address the cracks with something else prior to coating with dicor? Drill holes at the end of the cracks to try to prevent further cracking?

Thanks!
JT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2706.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	256939  
Old 06-14-2021, 06:29 AM   #2

I believe what I would do is repair the area with fiberglass patch about 2 times the size of the area after stop drilling to reinforce the area and then paint and cover with sealing tape and self leveling dicor. Looks like it cracked due to stress. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #3

It appears to be cracked below the dicor along the leading edge of the bracket as well. It almost seems like if you wanted to patch it with fiberglass the bracket needs to be removed, then the whole area needs to be patched, and then the bracket would be reattached on top of the patched area.

It's definitely a stress crack, but I wouldn't think this is 'structural'. As such not sure if a full fiberglass patch is necessary or not.

Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
It appears to be cracked below the dicor along the leading edge of the bracket as well. It almost seems like if you wanted to patch it with fiberglass the bracket needs to be removed, then the whole area needs to be patched, and then the bracket would be reattached on top of the patched area.

It's definitely a stress crack, but I wouldn't think this is 'structural'. As such not sure if a full fiberglass patch is necessary or not.

Thoughts?
As a former boat owner, fiberglass repair is common, and the best way to have a lasting repair. Adhesives are temporary at best.

The bracket needs to come up anyway. The crack goes right along the front of the bracket, so maybe the angle of the bracket started the crack.

And it is "structural" in a sense, in that the fiberglass is carrying the weight of that bracket and everything mounted to it.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Boat View Post
As a former boat owner, fiberglass repair is common, and the best way to have a lasting repair. Adhesives are temporary at best.

The bracket needs to come up anyway. The crack goes right along the front of the bracket, so maybe the angle of the bracket started the crack.

And it is "structural" in a sense, in that the fiberglass is carrying the weight of that bracket and everything mounted to it.
X-2. Good answer and the right repair considering that the bracket is relying on that area for support.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #6

Wifey call me for dinner. Shouldn't you find the reason for the crack before patching?
Just saying.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #7

Pretty sure the false awning came in contact with a limb or something and inward leverage on that bracket caused the crack...especially considering the crack along the leading edge of the bracket beneath the dicor.

I'm all for patching it correctly with fiberglass. I guess at this point I'm most concerned about what's below the single bolt (lag bold I'm assuming) that's holding the bracket down. Is there wood under the fiberglass that this bolt is threading into, or is it part of the underlying roof structure? If it's part of the structure, how critical is it that the bolt go back into the same place after the patch? Also, regardless of what it's bolted to, I'm curious why it would give enough to cause the crack to begin with.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:14 PM   #8

There is wood under it, I know this from fixing mine. But the wood will not hold a screw well since water got in there. So add some screws nearby in addition to hold it.
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
There is wood under it, I know this from fixing mine. But the wood will not hold a screw well since water got in there. So add some screws nearby in addition to hold it.
Did yours crack too? If so, did you patch it with fiberglass?

Tags
crack, fiberglass, roo, roof