Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #1

Cummins Fleetguard FF63009 fuel filter failure

I wanted to pass this on to my fellow Dynamax Force HD and DX3 owners with Cummins 8.9 LS9.
I was traveling yesterday day last afternoon on our way for a weekend of R&R and halfway in to my trip I had an experience that myself or my other diesel friends haven’t had. This filter was replaced this year in February will in hibernation and I have at least 5K on it along with drive down and back to the 2020 gathering before this left me stranded on a side of Pa state route.
Being I’ve replaced these before I was lucky I had my Jeep in tow and found a heavy truck dealer with a service and parts department opened late that had the filter and was not too far away, had to get a 25mm socket and a small gas can for some diesel fuel to fill the filter, after getting all the supplies I changed the fuel filter on the side of the highway I also keep my Jeep behind the motorhome staying a little on the roadway so others would have to move over because some drivers don’t know.
This may be hard to see but the filter cracked down the entire indented side I also found a couple of things on the internet about this it’s not a large issue so I’ll see what Fleetguard has to say Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0533.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	232573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0534.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	232574  
Sunset beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset beast View Post
I wanted to pass this on to my fellow Dynamax Force HD and DX3 owners with Cummins 8.9 LS9.
I was traveling yesterday day last afternoon on our way for a weekend of R&R and halfway in to my trip I had an experience that myself or my other diesel friends haven’t had. This filter was replaced this year in February will in hibernation and I have at least 5K on it along with drive down and back to the 2020 gathering before this left me stranded on a side of Pa state route.
Being I’ve replaced these before I was lucky I had my Jeep in tow and found a heavy truck dealer with a service and parts department opened late that had the filter and was not too far away, had to get a 25mm socket and a small gas can for some diesel fuel to fill the filter, after getting all the supplies I changed the fuel filter on the side of the highway I also keep my Jeep behind the motorhome staying a little on the roadway so others would have to move over because some drivers don’t know.
This may be hard to see but the filter cracked down the entire indented side I also found a couple of things on the internet about this it’s not a large issue so I’ll see what Fleetguard has to say Monday.
Glad all worked out and yall are safe.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #3

That sucks !, glad you were resourceful to recover on the road. Googling issue was this 2014 stock, with date codes from back then, or newer, did you check on failed filter? Thanks for the heads up!
dmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #4

Sorry, for your issue but for future needs I would carry a spare fuel filter.

I carry two fuel filters as spares for my truck since I have two fuel filters for the engine fuel system! Switching them out at every filter change thus keeping the spares as new as possible. Just a suggest.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #5

Looks like it had physical damage before, or was that from removing it?
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #6

What were the symptoms that lead you to this as the issue?
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #7

I'll be following this just to see what Fleetguard says.
We use Fleetguard for most of our filters on the farm and personal trucks as they are highly recommended by the mechanics we work with.
Running two of them now on my Fass lift pump for my Duramax.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
What were the symptoms that lead you to this as the issue?
He said it was cracked, so leaking would come to mind?
Old 06-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #9

Hi all, I didn’t see any physical damage the filter is up in between the frame rails and the oil pan and it’s unlikely a stone would find its way up there.
I did a pre trip inspection (which a always do no matter how new a truck is) before I left and didn’t see any fuel leaks I had replaced the filter in the winter and had a good bit of mile/ engine hour on and haven’t had any issues with these filter now and when I use to worked on medium duty and light duty trucks and cars. The only indication I got was the smell of diesel fuel and with in seconds I started to pull off the highway and as I was coming to a stop the engine shut down and then I got all kind of light, I know the 1 fault code was low fuel pressure... know kidding.
I look up Cummins Fleetguard customers service and there’s a warranty claim form to fill out and beside running around for 40 miles and some frustration the filter was $32 and a couple buck for the socket I could only imagine the tow bill or the road service bill had I not be fortunate enough to know what to do.
dmall your correct on this was an issue in 2014, I got the filter from Amazon not sure who the supplier was and I couldn’t see and date code but the label I think has some information the Fleetguard will know what it means.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
David
Old 06-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #10

Damn, that was not a good return trip David. Maybe that problem (polycarbonate or glass bowl) is why my 8.3’s (boat) were all spin-on’s, lots of vibration on a boat. On my 2019 they have used a Detroit filter. If the mounting is similar you might be able to change; apparently Dynamax or Freightliner considers the Detroit’s a better choice. We’re happy you were resourceful enough to deal with the problem! I came up to say goodbye but you were already gone.
We also had a little problem On the way to Tennessee, a bump on I59 jarred one end of our awning to “extend” partially and the microwave to slide part way out! Motor homing excitement... See you and Tracy in Savannaha, stay safe.Bob & Jo
Working hard on “elderhood”
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBob View Post
Damn, that was not a good return trip David. Maybe that problem (polycarbonate or glass bowl) is why my 8.3’s (boat) were all spin-on’s, lots of vibration on a boat. On my 2019 they have used a Detroit filter. If the mounting is similar you might be able to change; apparently Dynamax or Freightliner considers the Detroit’s a better choice. We’re happy you were resourceful enough to deal with the problem! I came up to say goodbye but you were already gone.
We also had a little problem On the way to Tennessee, a bump on I59 jarred one end of our awning to “extend” partially and the microwave to slide part way out! Motor homing excitement... See you and Tracy in Savannaha, stay safe.Bob & Jo
The picture makes it hard to tell, must just be a wrinkle in the label. Cracking could be from flexing until fatigue.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:41 PM   #12

I bet if you email Fleetguard you will be taken care of.

Personally if I care about the service it gets a Wix or Napa gold filter.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I bet if you email Fleetguard you will be taken care of.

Personally if I care about the service it gets a Wix or Napa gold filter.
Wix, Napa gold, Filtron and several others are all part of Mann, of Germany. Fleetguard is Cummins owned and are considered a top rated filter. I have used both in my shop for years. I stock those brands as well as Mann which is OEM on Mercedes including the filter housings.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Wix, Napa gold, Filtron and several others are all part of Mann, of Germany. Fleetguard is Cummins owned and are considered a top rated filter. I have used both in my shop for years. I stock those brands as well as Mann which is OEM on Mercedes including the filter housings.
Im betting Fleetguard will want to see that filter to determine what went wrong.

BTW, Baldwin and Donaldson are also Top Rated filters.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:53 PM   #15

Well I got a diagnosis on the failed Fleetguard filter for our Cummins LS9 engine, the filter is/was a knock off from a company called iFJF that’s reproducing many of Fleetguard filters and sold on Amazon, the Fleetguard warranty engineer said he just got 3 more Fleetguard fuel filter that had the same failure as I had and he seam to think it was this company’s knock off filter, this is the picture of the filter on Amazon so just be aware of any filter supplier iFJF
basically this is my follow up and final reply to this post buyer beware of the supplier.

Thanks,
David
Sunset Beast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	233960  
Old 07-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #16
Brake is on left

They aren't the only ones.....

Unfortunately this is common on Amazon. Really good copies are passed off all the time. My friend had $9000 worth of work done to his Powerstroke because of a Amazon fake fuel filter. The media essentially let loose and got distributed through the fuel system. He initially went after Ford but when they showed him the differences in the filters it was without a doubt not a Motorcraft filter. Amazon threw their hands up because it was a 3rd party sale. The supplier closed their Amazon store and dipped out.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #17

looks like they put their name on it but did they also put the Fleetguard name on it? can't see it in the Amazon picture. Looks like they are trying to make it look like the real thing but have their own name showing.
When I looked it up on Amazon they show it as a lower priced item to consider but it doesn't say Fleetguard, just on the same page.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
looks like they put their name on it but did they also put the Fleetguard name on it? can't see it in the Amazon picture. Looks like they are trying to make it look like the real thing but have their own name showing.
When I looked it up on Amazon they show it as a lower priced item to consider but it doesn't say Fleetguard, just on the same page.

Yes I saw that but my filter didn’t have the iFJF and if you look at the picture earlier it say Fleetguard on the filter label. Fleetguard is being very understanding of the situation and they’re supplying me with a case of “true” Fleetguard fuel and oil filter for my time which I happy with.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset beast View Post
Yes I saw that but my filter didn’t have the iFJF and if you look at the picture earlier it say Fleetguard on the filter label. Fleetguard is being very understanding of the situation and they’re supplying me with a case of “true” Fleetguard fuel and oil filter for my time which I happy with.
Probably best to purchase from an authorized dealer. Seems they are copying the part number and making labels when they can get away with it.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #20

Thanks for the follow-up, good to know !
dmall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel