Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #1

Dash mounted ABS switch light

Need help with my 2017 Dynamax DX3. There is a momentary rocker switch located on the dash with (ABS) printed on it with a red indicator light. This light stays on constantly. Even when the 12 volt chassis batteries are isolated, and everything else on the dash shuts off, this light stays on.

Cannot find any information on this switch. I think it probably has something to do with the Automatic Braking System?
richer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richer View Post
Need help with my 2017 Dynamax DX3. There is a momentary rocker switch located on the dash with (ABS) printed on it with a red indicator light. This light stays on constantly. Even when the 12 volt chassis batteries are isolated, and everything else on the dash shuts off, this light stays on.

Cannot find any information on this switch. I think it probably has something to do with the Automatic Braking System?
I remember something about this on the forum, but it been a few months ago. I think they decided it was the switch that connects the chassis battery’s to the coach battery to help start the coach when the battery is dead. If it’s a momentary switch that’s probably it.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #3
Retired Army Paratrooper

We have 2016 force hd and the only momentary switch on the dash connects the house and chaise batteries. So like Bill said is more than likely same on yours.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #4

Thanks, when I tried to research this switch on this forum, I thought it may be to connect the house and chassis batteries.

But I have two reasons why I don't think this is what this switch is for;
1. It has letters ABS printed on it. What would these stand for?
2. The continuous red light located inside the switch? This light shines 24/7 no matter what is turned on or off. It really shows up at night when all the other lights in the coach are off.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks, when I tried to research this switch on this forum, I thought it may be to connect the house and chassis batteries.

But I have two reasons why I don't think this is what this switch is for;
1. It has letters ABS printed on it. What would these stand for?
2. The continuous red light located inside the switch? This light shines 24/7 no matter what is turned on or off. It really shows up at night when all the other lights in the coach are off.
BC will probably chime in, but I think it was like auto battery switch or something like that.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 12-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #6

Could it be to turn your ABS system on and off? There are times (not many) when you'd want to disable the system. I would think it would be red when the system is off.
JohnMirada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #7

I found the old post. Search abs switch and you’ll find it. It’s is the battery connect switch. Not sure why it’s always lit.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 12-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #8

I don't know the system but suspect the switch controls a relay which is stuck in the "interconnected" position. (Dash switches can only handle a small amount of amps which are rarely enough to start an engine.)

-- Chuck
Old 12-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I don't know the system but suspect the switch controls a relay which is stuck in the "interconnected" position. (Dash switches can only handle a small amount of amps which are rarely enough to start an engine.)

-- Chuck
Me thinks you misunderstand the posts. No one is saying it is to start the engine they are saying it is used to connect the chassis and coach batteries together (paralleling them) so the engine can be started assisted by the coach batteries when the chassis batteries are not charged enough. Typically the switch energizes the solenoid/relay that is used to parallel the coach/chassis batteries for charging from either shore power/on board generator or engine alternator.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #10

I believe ABS was meant to signify Automatic Battery Sync or some such nonsense. Really I think it was all they could get for awhile because before that people just complained about the unlabeled switch on the dash.

But yes I'm certain its to link your two battery banks.

As to why its lit all the time, probably has to do with how its fed for the backlight. Last time I had the dash apart I seem to remember that these switches get their power from a different spot than the signal they're switching. Prob has a constant 12v feed.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #11

I think it is ABSURD to use an extremely common acronym, which, in a vehicle, normally stands for Antilock Braking System, for something else totally unrelated and have nothing to indicate that.

As to the issue of the light staying on all the time I would say the switch is either faulty or wired incorrectly. If this was wired so it makes sense I would think it should be lit either only when the vehicle lights are on, or only when the solenoid is engaged, which would tell you that the switch is actually doing something.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
I think it is ABSURD to use an extremely common acronym, which, in a vehicle, normally stands for Antilock Braking System, for something else totally unrelated and have nothing to indicate that.

As to the issue of the light staying on all the time I would say the switch is either faulty or wired incorrectly. If this was wired so it makes sense I would think it should be lit either only when the vehicle lights are on, or only when the solenoid is engaged, which would tell you that the switch is actually doing something.
I think it is slightly absurd to assume intent and/or to know what is going on without owning the coach or at least asking the question.

The why is...blank "lighted" switches were not available for that particular dash at that time. Whether it was a good decision or not they used the switch they could get. As long as the switch is explained in a manual or with a sticker then all is not lost...there is NO emergency battery start in automotive, so in the end it is a meshing of industries. ABS (Auxiliary Battery Start), was jokingly mentioned (after the fact by me) as justification for using that switch. It was not intentional at the time...at the time it was just getting a lighted switch to use for that function and to find a switch more appropriate and to make sure it was stocked.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:45 PM   #13

Thanks for all the great responses. This is reassuring to know I was not crazy....I bought this unit used so I probably did not get all the factory manuals/papers.

BC, I am Okay with the lettering, what they stand for is no big deal. But what about the red light staying on constantly? Could I have a relay stuck on? If so, would anyone know where I would start looking?
Old 12-08-2020, 08:13 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the great responses. This is reassuring to know I was not crazy....I bought this unit used so I probably did not get all the factory manuals/papers.

BC, I am Okay with the lettering, what they stand for is no big deal. But what about the red light staying on constantly? Could I have a relay stuck on? If so, would anyone know where I would start looking?
As I recall, some of the switches were just backlit or maybe it is pinned wrong. I know on the Jake Brake...it is lit regardless if it is high or low. (its not like Low or Hi light up separately)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #15
Viet Nam era Navy veteran

Some folks expectations are beyond belief

Brian C., I concur.

"As I recall, some of the switches were just backlit or maybe it is pinned wrong. I know on the Jake Brake...it is lit regardless if it is high or low. (its not like Low or Hi light up separately)"

I find it luxurious for the engine brake switch to light up when ON. I appreciate the feature.
After applying the engine brake a few times, I knew from Fury's response whether I was in hi or lo retard & which way to move the switch control.

If I think a switch needs more identification, I make a small label & put it beside the switch. Mainly use this technique for seldom used switches like "Road lamps" or "Docking lamps".
I have the location of most switches & all gauges memorized.

If folks get hostile about the fine Dynamax switches & instrument panels, wait until they find out the rules of SS & Medicare! All I can tell them is: " your senator is sitting at his desk by the phone, waiting for your call."

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Fury, Dynamax Freightliner Columbia Grand Sport GT GC400GT
Papa Bear, Jeep Commander Overland
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #16

Thanks again for everyone's great input on this. It has really been bugging me that the light stays on constantly, even when all chassis voltage has been turned off to the dash.

Now that I know the light is really not needed, I will see if I can get the power feeding the light cut off with out effecting the main operation of the switch. If no one chimes in and tells me doing so is illegal!
Old 12-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks again for everyone's great input on this. It has really been bugging me that the light stays on constantly, even when all chassis voltage has been turned off to the dash.

Now that I know the light is really not needed, I will see if I can get the power feeding the light cut off with out effecting the main operation of the switch. If no one chimes in and tells me doing so is illegal!
I'm willing to bet its just a matter of disconnecting the correct wire from the back of the switch. Should be pretty simple. And as an added plus the M2 dash is probably one of the easiest vehichles I've ever had to remove/replace the dash on.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #18

Thanks. I will work on this when the weather warms up a little. I will try to take pictures to help anyone else if needed.

Tags
light, mount, switch