Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2024, 12:27 PM   #1

Debugging the Matrix Switcher

I have a 2022 Europa 31ss with the Conexx (I think that's correct) matrix video switcher for HDMI. This has HDMI ins and uses CAT5 or CAT6 cable outputs. the other ends have USB powered HDMI bits into the TVs

I found over the weekend that the external TV doesn't work at all with the switcher. The bedroom and main room TV's work fine and I can switch in the ROKU plugged into the matrix, but the external unit gets no signal. I can see the balun has both lights on it when it's getting a signal but the TV shows nothing, I tried moving it to another port on the TV and still nothing.

Are these just stock network cables wired in normal twisted pair pattern?

Anyone have other thoughts on debugging this is what I'm thinking
  • Pull the HDMI Balun and plug it into the front TV with that cable to rule out the Balun being bad
    Run a CAT5 cable out the window to the TV and see if it works to rule out the cable being bad
    I have a Network cable tester I can try that on the cable and see if it shows anything
    I already tried swapping the CAT5 on the mtarix switcher to the known good ports and that made no difference.

If the cable is bad, any tips on how to run a replacement?
1998 Monaco Windsor 34PST
gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:57 PM   #2
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
I have a 2022 Europa 31ss with the Conexx (I think that's correct) matrix video switcher for HDMI. This has HDMI ins and uses CAT5 or CAT6 cable outputs. the other ends have USB powered HDMI bits into the TVs

I found over the weekend that the external TV doesn't work at all with the switcher. The bedroom and main room TV's work fine and I can switch in the ROKU plugged into the matrix, but the external unit gets no signal. I can see the balun has both lights on it when it's getting a signal but the TV shows nothing, I tried moving it to another port on the TV and still nothing.

Are these just stock network cables wired in normal twisted pair pattern?

Anyone have other thoughts on debugging this is what I'm thinking
  • Pull the HDMI Balun and plug it into the front TV with that cable to rule out the Balun being bad
    Run a CAT5 cable out the window to the TV and see if it works to rule out the cable being bad
    I have a Network cable tester I can try that on the cable and see if it shows anything
    I already tried swapping the CAT5 on the mtarix switcher to the known good ports and that made no difference.

If the cable is bad, any tips on how to run a replacement?
By external antenna, are you talking about the over the air which uses the winegard unit? If so , it does not go thru the matrix box. The roof antenna amplifier needs to be powered( the small push button on the co-ax plate in the cabinet above the door). The Tv input needs to be set to antenna ( not HDMI).
Hope this helps
KJ6PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ6PA View Post
By external antenna, are you talking about the over the air which uses the winegard unit? If so , it does not go thru the matrix box. The roof antenna amplifier needs to be powered( the small push button on the co-ax plate in the cabinet above the door). The Tv input needs to be set to antenna ( not HDMI).
Hope this helps
I don't believe I ever mentioned an Antenna in my original post, I'm talking about the matrix HDMI switcher in the cabinet, and a source (ROKU) plugged directly into that HDMI input. I'm attempting to view that source on the external TV, it works on the main and bedroom TV's just fine.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:48 PM   #4
Commercial Member

You can try any or all of the items you mentioned. Swap the adaptor, see if it makes a difference. yes, they are just regular ole CAT6 cables...not special pin set up.

Swapping the adaptor would be easiest, no cable needed.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 03:55 PM   #5

FWIW, I wanted a shorter cable in the cabinet overhead (we have the 34KD floorplan). I cut off and crimped on new cat6 ends, using b-spec and everything has been working great.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 04:09 PM   #6
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
I don't believe I ever mentioned an Antenna in my original post, I'm talking about the matrix HDMI switcher in the cabinet, and a source (ROKU) plugged directly into that HDMI input. I'm attempting to view that source on the external TV, it works on the main and bedroom TV's just fine.
Sorry about that. Guess I should have read your post more closely 🤔
KJ6PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 05:18 PM   #7

thanks brian, that's great info to have. I just did a quick test, swapping the baluns between the outside and inside tv and same problem, then I put a network cable tester on the cable going to the outside and 3 or 4 wires are not transmitting any data, so that's the issue. Looking at the RJ connectors on the ends I can see both ends the wires go all the way to the end of the plug, so I'm guessing somewhere the wire got compromised during building and it now has some screws or nails through it.

Does anyone have a strategy for getting a new cable in place? I'm out of warranty now I believe (since i've had the coach for over a year) so I believe this one will be on me to figure out and fix, guess I should've tested it sooner.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:10 PM   #8
Commercial Member

I would check the ends at both ends first. Or re-terminate them to be safe.

Old 05-21-2024, 10:20 PM   #9

So I redid the ends and it still doesn’t work the network tester reports the same pins are open it’s extremely u likely I screwed it up exactly the same way plus I used the connectors that you push the wires all the way through and then cut them to make sure you have a good connection.

Looking at the cable it goes in and down over the door my guess is the cable is tied to others and pulling a new one through won’t happen plus it’s likely pinched somewhere else
Old 05-22-2024, 01:53 AM   #10

Since the concern is being able to viewer Roku-sourced material on the external TV, could you mount a second Roku on the external bay or replace the TV with a Roku enabled model? That doesn't solve the wiring issue but it's easier that trying to pull a new wire. Plus that allows independent viewing from the interior unit.

I had a similar wire run issue when I went to upgrade the main room JBL soundbar to a Sonos model. The Sonos model didn't use optical but HDMI via the ARC HDMI port. It was a real bear to get a second HDMI cable run and I could not remove the optical cable as it was fastened down to something in the wall.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:20 AM   #11
Commercial Member

All the TV's are smart already. Any app on the Roku would be on the other TV's, unless you have Roku live. That wire would be the easiest to run since they are both on the same side and pretty close by. I would have to look at one and see how its ran exactly.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:18 AM   #12

The point of using a single Roku over the smart tvs was that it’s faster than the smart tv interface and more importantly one of the apps we use a lot has a limit to the number of devices that can use it so I’m trying to avoid the rv taking two of those seats. I also have a second source in the matrix which is a raspberry pi based streamer with a hard disk in it with a bunch of my DVDs ripped so the cable allows that to be used as well

Thanks Brian I’d appreciate any info you can find me
Old 05-22-2024, 09:42 AM   #13
Commercial Member

That is actually how we test them here at the plant. We plug a Roku into the matrix and make sure the Roku screen is shown at every TV. I started that a few years back. After we got rid of DVD's there was no quick way to test the system.

Old 05-22-2024, 10:14 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Talked to my electrical troubleshooter. The CAT6 is one of the last wires we run and they are just placed loose in the ceiling before dropping them down. He things you might be able to cut both ends and use it as a chase wire. I would tug on it a bit first to test it. It might need a little help at the corners, but he thinks it is doable.

If it is just chaffed, you might be in luck. If there is a screw through it, I'm not sure it is going to move. It goes from the matrix cabinet, into the roof, over and down to the outside TV cabinet.

Old 05-22-2024, 11:53 AM   #15

Thanks Brian, I really appreciate that info. I thought it might come under the refrigerator as I can see it from the backside under the bathroom sink, so that's good to know. I'll tug on it and see if it moves, the nice thing about cat6 is I can stick the ends on afterwards so it's easier to chase through. I agree though if there's a nail or screw through it then it's not going to move, so I hope it's just crimped or chaffed.

The other option is to install an HDMI wireless connection from that cabinet to the outside TV, but I've had sketchy luck with those in the past, plus I don't really want to be pulling more current for them if I don't have to so I'm hoping I can find a way to get a cable there and make it work as intended
Old 05-28-2024, 03:06 PM   #16

Running down a leak this weekend I did spot the cable coming down behind the fridge and then heading over behind the bathroom sink. I saw an awful lot more of it under the bathroom sink than expected so I cut more off and tried another end, and it's still dead on the same pins. Running an external cable from the matrix switch to the TV works, so I think I'll be trying to figure out if I can use the existing cable and pull a new one. IF not I'll be looking for a well trained mouse to run through the wall with a string
Old 05-31-2024, 08:46 AM   #17

Just out of curiosity, if you plug a Roku into the Matrix, how are you controlling that from other areas of the camper? I wouldn't think the remote would still work once you are some distance from the device?
Camarochevy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:37 AM   #18

Pretty sure it has to be an RF remote as it works through the closed door and is designed to control a stick plugged into the back of a TV, seems to work just fine from the bedroom and outside when I ran the external cable to the TV, so no problem.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:53 PM   #19
Steve & Linda M.

If you need IR into the cabinet, you could always use a IR Blaster. I've used them at home on a theater system when devices couldn't reliably transmit commands to either a TV or a component.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 08:53 PM   #20

Had a good look around under fridge etc.. I can see the wire from the back of the TV mount, and I can see it coming under the fridge, then it seems to disappear into a large bundle of cables that is both electrical taped and zip-tied up right behind the stove area, so I'm guessing it's strapped together all the way along. I'm going to have to pause this but my guess is it won't really be possible to fish string or another wire through this, and I'll have to find another way

Tags
switch