Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2020, 11:16 AM   #1

Post Definitive Winterization Checklist?

Hey guys, sorry if this is covered somewhere else, I did some forum searches but didn't come up with one...

Is there a definitive list for winterization? For context, it's a 2021 DX3.

-I know about RV antifreeze, but given this is my first rig & first winter, I REALLY don't want to come into spring with self-inflicted problems.

Thank you as always!
krampot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #2

Your going to get lots of replies

Try a Google search on the topic, the search function on this site is not the best.

What does your owners manual.say?

Rv antifreeze is one thing, but knowing about getting rid of water in your systems is another.

Take all food and beverages out.

Usually, by the end of the first week in November your units water systems should at least be protected from freezing and keeping an eye on the weather forecast before then may force you to do it sooner.

Have a plan for your coach and chassis batteries or they will be dead by spring

PM me if you have any specific questions or concerns.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:36 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Try this.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Winterization Processes (All Units) rev 10.19.2020.docx (59.1 KB, 339 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Try this.
What about de-winterizing?

My 2021 30FW Explorer PKG is currently winterized down here in Florida... Planning on taking it back home to Minnesota next week. And would like to be able to use the water on the road.
jred2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #5

Hot Water Heater Off
Bypass Hot Water Heater
Drain Hot Water Heater & Check Anode Rod
Set Winterize Pickup Hose Valves
Attach Hose to Antifreeze Hose & insert into antifreeze container - replace empty antifreeze container as needed
Turn Pump On
Open Valves Hot & Cold Until Antifreeze Flows Solid and fill P trap for each listed below:
- Kitchen
- Bathroom Sinks
- Shower
- Toilet
- Washing Machine
- Outside Washdown Hose
Drain fresh water tank and waste tanks
Turn Pump Off
Open Low Point Drains
Open all faucets
Close Low point drains
Close water heater
Check refrigerator drain
Optionally pour 1/2 gallon antifreeze in fresh water tank
Old 12-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jred2255 View Post
What about de-winterizing?

My 2021 30FW Explorer PKG is currently winterized down here in Florida... Planning on taking it back home to Minnesota next week. And would like to be able to use the water on the road.
https://forestriverinc.help/#/dynama...4-A12295F46267

Old 12-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Found that earlier, great resource! Question for you - while I am parked, up north and in below freezing weather, is it enough to have my RV plugged into shore power and let the wet bay heater do it's job, or should I get an additional space heater for the living area? I do have the Explorer pkg on my 30FW.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Found that earlier, great resource! Question for you - while I am parked, up north and in below freezing weather, is it enough to have my RV plugged into shore power and let the wet bay heater do it's job, or should I get an additional space heater for the living area? I do have the Explorer pkg on my 30FW.
I would say neither...it is designed to have the furnace running. The furnace ducts run in the same cavities as the water lines, so if camping in cold weather, the furnace should be set in the 60 range to be safe. Heating the tanks is not enough...the bigger issue is making sure the lines in the cavities and cabinets don't freeze.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
I would say neither...it is designed to have the furnace running. The furnace ducts run in the same cavities as the water lines, so if camping in cold weather, the furnace should be set in the 60 range to be safe. Heating the tanks is not enough...the bigger issue is making sure the lines in the cavities and cabinets don't freeze.
Got it, what about when I am not using the coach in cold weather? I plan to have it parked with shore power at my house in Minnesota for a week before I head back down to Florida. Should I have the furnace on when I am not in it? I appreciate the help!
Old 12-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Got it, what about when I am not using the coach in cold weather? I plan to have it parked with shore power at my house in Minnesota for a week before I head back down to Florida. Should I have the furnace on when I am not in it? I appreciate the help!
If you are going to winterize it, then no. If you are leaving water in it, then yes.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
If you are going to winterize it, then no. If you are leaving water in it, then yes.
Plan is to leave water in it. Thank you for the help!
Old 12-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Here's another way to look at your question.

Your going to leave your stick & brick home to spend the winter in Hawaii,
1) Do you leave the electric and heat on to prevent the water system from freezing, thus having to pay for electric and gas for a empty house for 3 to 5 months while worrying about an extended power failure?

Or

2) Do you drain the plumbing, turn off the furnace, gas, and electricity. Flush the toilet getting all the water out of the tank that you can. Pour antifreeze in the sink, bathtub and shower drain traps, toilet tank and bowl, most home plumbing drains completely so no need for AF in the pipes. Then go on your merry way not having to worry about it.

Keep in mind the decision has a larger impact if your house is practically in the middle of nowhere, or your home is on the end of the power line run and the closest neighbor is 1/2 mile or more away.

I personally know a couple who follow #2 when they're going to be gone for more than 2 weeks. If less then 2 weeks they ask me to gather their mail and check the house every day. BTW, they have a hunting cabin in the northwoods which sets empty 8 months of the year.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Here's another way to look at your question.

Your going to leave your stick & brick home to spend the winter in Hawaii,
1) Do you leave the electric and heat on to prevent the water system from freezing, thus having to pay for electric and gas for a empty house for 3 to 5 months while worrying about an extended power failure?

Or

2) Do you drain the plumbing, turn off the furnace, gas, and electricity. Flush the toilet getting all the water out of the tank that you can. Pour antifreeze in the sink, bathtub and shower drain traps, toilet tank and bowl. And go on your merry way not having to worry about it.

Keep in mind the decision has a larger impact if your house is practically in the middle of nowhere, or your home is on the end of the power line run and the closest neighbor is 1/2 mile or more away.

I personally know a couple who follow #2 when they're going to be gone for more than 2 weeks. If less then 2 weeks they ask me to gather their mail and check the house every day. BTW, they have a hunting cabin in the northwoods which sets empty 8 months of the year.
Who cares about the house if I can spend the winter in Hawaii?

Old 12-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #14
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Who cares about the house if I can spend the winter in Hawaii?
If you can spend the whole winter in Hawaii, why would you come back at all?

There's a couple a few miles from my house who drive to Florida and leave their home empty for 5 months. Nobody checks the house while they're gone but they pay a guy to plow out their driveway just so others think there's someone around. I asked them what they would do if the power went out long enough for the pipes to freeze. Their reply was the next door neighbor would report the outage. We had quite a discussion until I brought up the fact they were on a 1/4 mile driveway and their closest neighbor is 1/2 mile on the other side of the woods with a hill between them and it would be hard to know if a tree took out the power line to their house while everyone else was fine. They now drain the plumbing and turn off the electric and gas while using solar powered outdoor lighting.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Try this.

Hello Brian,
I was just winterizing using this list and I don’t see anything mentioned about washer or ice maker. Are those non issues?
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:58 PM   #16

One more question.
Where is the pickup line for antifreeze in the 2022 DX3 37BD? The lit says under the bed but I don’t see it. I see a valve in the wet bay for antifreeze fill but no hose?
Thanks
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:06 PM   #17

Many,many devices you can install to be sure the power is up and notify you if it goes out. Would highly recommend if having the power on is essential to pipes freezing.

After my first 2 coach’s I made the decision I wasn’t buying another unit until I could keep it inside. Now that I have that ability It’s so much of a nicer way to store the unit, I would never go back. No mud, no winterizing, no tracking dirt in and out. No worrying about someone breaking in. And you can use it as a spare home when you need the space for guests any time of year.

I always say if you can afford a Dynamax, you can afford a place to park it inside!

—John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:18 PM   #18

Does anyone have a link to the KW1 water filter cap? that is mentioned in the DX3/XL winterization procedure?

· 2nd: Remove water filter and water filter housing altogether and replace with aftermarket cap (not supplied)
DX3 & DynaQuest XL (All Floor Plans): Water Filter located inside Sewer Bay on Driver Side

Thanks,
Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #19

There are also some mentions to a bypass plate. I looked up one of those and they were about $10. I’d assume a cap would be about the same. Some people recommend inserting an empty but capped water bottle into the housing. All of these techniques are to avoid filling the canister with antifreeze.

I tried to calculate the cost of the antifreeze that the canister holds. I think it was less than $.50. So I’m just wasting that amount of antifreeze each year but I’m not spending the the $10. I’ll probably have gotten rid of the trailer by breakeven date.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:06 AM   #20
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablarson View Post
Hello Brian,
I was just winterizing using this list and I don’t see anything mentioned about washer or ice maker. Are those non issues?
X2 on this. The individual appliance documents do not cover winterization.

Videos would be helpful. Or minimally a plumbing schematic ?

Is there a valve to shut off water to the Ice Maker ? We never use the Ice Maker in the Refrigerator, so it would be convenient to exclude that circuit after evacuating it.

For the washer, I've watched a few videos where people just pump anitfreeze into the washer using the hot and cold cycles. Is there any way to evacuate the water lines feeding, and within the appliance, other then using low point drains ?

I would assume that access to appropriate plumbing would be from under the appliances, although the Service Location Drawings indicate that the furnaces are located below those appliances in the 34KD.

Note : D02120142_DYNAMAX SERVICE LOCATIONS_FORCE HD 34KD drawing shows the Fresh Tank Drain to be in the Wet Bay. It isn't, at least not on our coach. The drain is in the Passenger side rear most storage compartment.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, winter