Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 11:07 AM   #1

Thumbs down Didn't take delivery of my Isata 5.

After 9 months of waiting our Isata 5 came in but due to multiple issues with the dealer and the unit, we decided to not take delivery of it.

The dealer ruined the paint job during the "dealer prep" they made me pay for. Swirl marks on the entire unit and scratches down to primer in over a dozen places. Pushed me to take the unit and submit it to Dynamax for warranty. Not a Dynamax issue, I saw the facebook pictures after paint, unit was beautiful.

They broke the leveling jacks and blew the alternator fuse on the chassis. Ram was throwing a battery charging code. Tried to level the unit on their very slanted driveway with auto. Almost picked the entire unit off the tires, failed the leveling controller, and spent 4 hours trying to patch it so we would take it. They replaced a chassis battery and eventually had to take it to the Ram dealer to fix.

Kept operating the slide with the unit not level, faulted out the slide controller, the slide would not go in all the way consistently.

TMPS would not read the rear tires.

Trim inside was coming down from the roof, and led fixtures were falling out of the ceiling.

Some of the things were pretty minor but after everything we really didn't trust the dealer and were not sure there were other things we didn't catch since they kept not letting us inspect the unit because they were trying to fix stuff constantly. It also didn't give us much confidence overhearing their tech tell the manager he didn't know how any of this works on the unit.

After a lengthy fight, they finally refunded our deposit. We had ordered it at the Hershey RV show so I am sure they will turn around and sell it for a good markup.

That leaves me with some parts I purchased in anticipation of the unit that I don't expect to use now. Is there any interest in the Ram5500 Timbren suspension DF5500 and DR5500 new in box?
Old 05-26-2022, 11:21 AM   #2

Sorry to hear of your experience. Your description of what condition the unit is in and all the screw ups by the dealer really brings to light as to how a dealer can give a "bad rap" of a Dynamax product.

What area of the country is the dealer?

Have you reached out to Dynamax regarding your experience?
Old 05-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #3

It was Dylans in New Jersey.

It was very tough to watch the dealer helper wash RVs in direct sunlight with a hose, bucket, and extended wash wand. They damage units and then just push it off to the end-user and blame it on Dynamax. How much are we all paying in price increases for bogus warranty work from dealer damage?

I truly believe Dynamax makes a quality product and with the engagement on the forum here they care about the customer. I wouldn't hesitate to order another Dynamax just from a different dealer.

I wish they could do direct sales and just pick it up from the factory. Really don't need a dealer who knows nothing about the product, or tech and just adds frustrations and markup.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:14 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Appreciate the feedback and Kudos for holding your ground.

Too often we see some people take units with items "they can't live with for a few months" and the dealer doesn't expedite their service.

They have bene up and down over the years and have gotten some really good service managers that were very good to work with and handled their customers very well. Some managers have not been as good. We will take note.
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 05-26-2022, 01:52 PM   #5

The damaged paint would have done it for me. No way is that an easy fix if it was a damaged down to the primer. I hope no one else gets 'stuck' with it until it's fixed properly.

Good for you for walking away. It certainly beats the frustration of paying for a rig when it's in a shop for repairs that should have been done prior to the PDI.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:58 PM   #6

Unfortunately, the dealer had zero concern for us as a customer on such a large purchase. We are out of state of the dealer and had a 7-hour drive to pick it up. I travel a bit for work and asked them to try to let me know so I can properly plan. Instead, I had to keep following up as I had trips coming up.

Driving there they knew there were issues and actually called when we were halfway there asking if we were still coming to pick it up. What we later learned that was about the time they were trying to repair the charging fault code in the truck and replacing the chassis batteries because the leveling jacks didn't work. When we got there we had to wait an hour to so to see the RV and then wait around until closing as they frantically tried to fix it. We had a camping reservation that night about the halfway point to home we couldn't make it to that we could have refunded if they would have communicated at all.

I would have rather they fixed everything and made us wait but then they can't cash the check first. It's not our first RV and we had a few hard lessons learned
and camping season cut short due to the timeliness of repairs.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
The damaged paint would have done it for me. No way is that an easy fix if it was damaged down to the primer. I hope no one else gets 'stuck' with it until it's fixed properly.

Good for you for walking away. It certainly beats the frustration of paying for a rig when it's in a shop for repairs that should have been done prior to the PDI.
I have photos on my phone I will post but it's hard to see the extent of the damage. They got the helper to hose it down to "wash off the pollen" off. In reality, most detailers know, clear coat swirls and scratches disappear when wet. Trying to make it not show up as bad.

They suggested Dynamax would warranty it with a full repaint which would never match the original beautiful paint job they leave the factory with. This was the explorer with the dark paint job.

edit: stupid iPhone making the photos all sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0247.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	273964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	273965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	273966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	273967  
Old 05-26-2022, 02:11 PM   #8

What a nightmare. You did the right thing.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:36 PM   #9
D W

My gosh! Those aren't swirls! It looks like they cleaned with a sander.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 05-26-2022, 03:00 PM   #10

Wow, that is just bad. What compound were they using to get those results - It really almost looks like they used a dirty pad getting some "deeper" scratches in the paint, and then went back with an abrasive trying to get them out.

We are on a similar wait as you with our Force. This is the type of thing we fear after having to wait for so long.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
Old 05-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #11

I have no idea how to even do that except maybe a handing 16-year-old an orbital buffer and telling them to handle it. I am pretty sure the unit did not need any polishing after just leaving the factory, I bet the paint wasn't fully hardened yet.

I hope your Force delivery goes great. I am convinced everything that was wrong with the Isata was dealer-caused or made worse.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:14 PM   #12

I'm at a loss for words, very sorry to hear about this and glad you stood your ground. I know I would have as well, I've been told that I'm kind of bull-headed.

I wonder what kind of warranty claims this dealer will try and submit..?

Jim
Old 05-26-2022, 03:24 PM   #13
Commercial Member

We inspect before they leave. The transport driver inspects before they will pick up. They won't even take one with a scratch. The dealer has to note any damage on arrival, or note "no driver damage". If they try to note something after that, it would be denied for warranty coverage as it would be considered lot damage.
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 05-26-2022, 03:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
If they try to note something after that, it would be denied for warranty coverage as it would be considered lot damage.
That was my worry, no way they shipped it like that. I would be on the hook for the fix since they wanted me to take it now and have it fixed later. The dealer would NOT put it in the due bill at all.

They asked me to take it to a paint shop and get a quote and warranty would pay it. Any lie to get me to take it.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:37 PM   #15
Senior Member - Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghhh40k View Post
I have photos on my phone I will post but it's hard to see the extent of the damage. They got the helper to hose it down to "wash off the pollen" off. In reality, most detailers know, clear coat swirls and scratches disappear when wet. Trying to make it not show up as bad.

They suggested Dynamax would warranty it with a full repaint which would never match the original beautiful paint job they leave the factory with. This was the explorer with the dark paint job.

The New Jersey location only shows one Isata 5, a model 28SS. Wonder if it "WAS" yours? Asking $239,988.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
Old 05-26-2022, 03:48 PM   #16

It is the same VIN

edit: that is not quite the price we had it locked in at. You can still see the forward interior trim is hanging down in the photos lol
Old 05-26-2022, 05:13 PM   #17

The dealer should use their insurance and pay Dynamax to repait.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:00 PM   #18
Commercial Member

As a side note on the trim, that is just a "snap in" batten. In theory, you should just be able to press on it and snap it back in.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
As a side note on the trim, that is just a "snap in" batten. In theory, you should just be able to press on it and snap it back in.
Yeah, I figured, I tried to push it back in but the part that holds it in seemed broken. The bigger issue was the dealer didn't even fix something simple and obvious like that before trying to sell it to us.

Every complex manufactured product has minor things that need tidying up but charging $1000 for a PDI should probably fix this stuff.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:51 PM   #20

And they charged for the PDI? While it was not very detailed, and I feel I knew just as much (if not more) than the technician, the dealer we went thru didn't charge for the PDI.

I tend to read and study too much, had literally wore out the Internet before we got our XL..

Really wish you could have had the same kind of experience and had a coach you could now enjoy. What is your game plan now, besides using a different dealer I presume?

Jim
Closed Thread