RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #1

Diesel Toy Hauler Motorhome

I realize that Dynamax doesnít currently offer a toy hauler motorhome. Curious why not Ė is that too narrow of a segment?

It seems like an interesting niche, and I would think there would be decent demand for a Super C diesel motorhome with a garage.

As far as I know, the only other new toy hauler motorhomes are the Thor Outlaw Class C (gas), Thor Outlaw Class A (gas), Renegade Classic Garage (diesel), and the recently introduced Newmar Canyon Star Class A Front-engine Diesel Model 3927.

The Canyon Star 3927 has a Cummins 6.7 with 340 HP/700TQ and Allison 2500. It is an interesting spec/price offering. It has much better torque than the gas Outlaws, and it is a significantly lower price point than the Renegade Classic Garage.

Think how a Europa or Force HD with garage would perform and sell compared to the Canyon Star 3927!?

And what about a Force HD with garage at $200k+(?) less than a Renegade Classic Garage!?
Old 11-19-2020, 08:59 PM   #2

We love our DX 37BH but our next coach will be a garage model. I don't want to pull a trailer but want our Jeep and Harley with us. Finding a solution has been challenging but we have it worked out for now but I'd much rather have a garage.

2016 Dynamax DX3 37BH
2015 Jeep JKU
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
Usually Confused Member

That Canyon Star looks nice until you get to the part about having a pickup truck engine...and a detuned one at that. Just another rolling roadblock.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
Motorized GM

Canyon star is 40'. Which means a Class C toyhauler would be 45'....so right off the bat you are a tandem axle, larger engine, etc. The chassis alone jumps that price quite a bit (thus the Renegade cost).

I'd love to build a toyhauler....but we can barely keep up with the orders/engineering that we have on our plate. (and when I say barely I mean, not).

We had been working with a Horse guy and the intent was to build a unit with a garage that we could use as a toyhauler but if we left the back blank, then they could convert it to stalls. But that was 4 years ago and every year we said "I wont have the engineering time for another 12 months" rinse-repeat. We're always trying to improve what we have and then we get ideas like the explorer package and the Europa..things that appeal to a wider audience, and more niche stuff gets pushed to the back. I'm sure engineering hates me....but I have another idea on the Sprinter I would like to flesh out next. At least see where it takes us.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
National Sales Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by content View Post
I realize that Dynamax doesnít currently offer a toy hauler motorhome. Curious why not Ė is that too narrow of a segment?

It seems like an interesting niche, and I would think there would be decent demand for a Super C diesel motorhome with a garage.

As far as I know, the only other new toy hauler motorhomes are the Thor Outlaw Class C (gas), Thor Outlaw Class A (gas), Renegade Classic Garage (diesel), and the recently introduced Newmar Canyon Star Class A Front-engine Diesel Model 3927.

The Canyon Star 3927 has a Cummins 6.7 with 340 HP/700TQ and Allison 2500. It is an interesting spec/price offering. It has much better torque than the gas Outlaws, and it is a significantly lower price point than the Renegade Classic Garage.

Think how a Europa or Force HD with garage would perform and sell compared to the Canyon Star 3927!?

And what about a Force HD with garage at $200k+(?) less than a Renegade Classic Garage!?
We have been asked a few times for a toy hauler not many , so that makes us question how big is that market. We feel that we provide adequate horse power and torque to pull behind all your toys and not give up living space for your toys. The big factor is when we have look at this we ran in to obstacles with length and trying to accomplish a permanent bed not in a loft. As I would love to build one in the future now for us is not the ideal time.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
tanagnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #6

I'm of the "I'd rather have the living space, than be living in a garage when I get there" crowd, but obviously there is some market.

I'll throw out one idea for you guys to look back on when engineering does finally get around to it:

I ran into a guy that had a Super C (I cant for the life of me remember the brand, but it was pre emissions so early 2000's, I don't think the company is around anymore) built on a Class 8 chassis, but what they did was put the garage under the bed. Smaller garage, less ceiling height in the bedroom, but sort of the best of both worlds in terms of floorplan usage. Would for sure work for the motorcycle crowd, and quads, UTVs would depend on height I imagine.

- Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #7

Here you go. 2007 Dynamax Grand Sport
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF4BB1EF-3152-4CAA-82A4-AC8A03DDC7EE.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	243389  
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
Motorized GM

you lost me at the "no longer around anymore". lol.

"You guys should do what this bankrupt company was doing, it was awesome" (and you know of course I am just messing with you).
Old 11-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Here you go. 2007 Dynamax Grand Sport
oh boy...we're not even done with the 30' M2 thread.... I think this one would be worse.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
oh boy...we're not even done with the 30' M2 thread.... I think this one would be worse.
Can it come in 4x4?

(Payback )

- Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #11
Motorized GM

I'm not sure what you posted....all I see is "this user is on your ignore list". Must be good though
Old 11-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Canyon star is 40'. Which means a Class C toyhauler would be 45'....so right off the bat you are a tandem axle, larger engine, etc. The chassis alone jumps that price quite a bit (thus the Renegade cost).

I'd love to build a toyhauler....but we can barely keep up with the orders/engineering that we have on our plate. (and when I say barely I mean, not).

We had been working with a Horse guy and the intent was to build a unit with a garage that we could use as a toyhauler but if we left the back blank, then they could convert it to stalls. But that was 4 years ago and every year we said "I wont have the engineering time for another 12 months" rinse-repeat. We're always trying to improve what we have and then we get ideas like the explorer package and the Europa..things that appeal to a wider audience, and more niche stuff gets pushed to the back. I'm sure engineering hates me....but I have another idea on the Sprinter I would like to flesh out next. At least see where it takes us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanagnos View Post
We have been asked a few times for a toy hauler not many , so that makes us question how big is that market. We feel that we provide adequate horse power and torque to pull behind all your toys and not give up living space for your toys. The big factor is when we have look at this we ran in to obstacles with length and trying to accomplish a permanent bed not in a loft. As I would love to build one in the future now for us is not the ideal time.
Thank you both for sharing your decision making and thought process. Makes sense. Curious to see that Sprinter too!
Old 11-20-2020, 11:29 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm not sure what you posted....all I see is "this user is on your ignore list". Must be good though
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:46 AM   #14

I am also in for the living quarters. We looked at a few toy haulers before we bought our first Thor way back. It smelled like gasoline inside the rear compartment after parking a golf cart in there. I would rather trailer when we take the toys then live with that smell.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I am also in for the living quarters. We looked at a few toy haulers before we bought our first Thor way back. It smelled like gasoline inside the rear compartment after parking a golf cart in there. I would rather trailer when we take the toys then live with that smell.
Donít know how well it works yet, but the new FR Vengeance Rouge Armored has a Sealed door between the living quarters & garage. Hopefully Iíll have mine in a month or two, & will see if it works.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE110 View Post
Donít know how well it works yet, but the new FR Vengeance Rouge Armored has a Sealed door between the living quarters & garage. Hopefully Iíll have mine in a month or two, & will see if it works.
I believe thatís a trailer, not a diesel toy hauler motor home.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #17
Pop-up refugee

And if sealing the garage off helps in a trailer, it can't be done in a motor home?
Relaxin in the woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I believe thatís a trailer, not a diesel toy hauler motor home.
You are correct!
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:02 AM   #19

Quote:
....but I have another idea on the Sprinter I would like to flesh out next. At least see where it takes us.

Any hints on the Sprinter idea that you can share?
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
Any hints on the Sprinter idea that you can share?
I second that- and if you are looking for someone to experiment with I might be your guy.......
68NIOU1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, motorhome, toy hauler