Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #1

Dinette Pole Tooo tight in Table Mount

On to my next issue...

The pole that holds up the dinette table is way too tight at the table end. Finally got it out using one of those rubber type pipe wrenches.

At the floor end, the pole is tapered, however at the table end it is not. I saw a red mark on the pole and was wondering if the previous owner may have cut the pole shorter, assuming that it may have been tapered at both ends originally. My pole measures 28" long.

Does anyone know how long the dinette pole is on an Isata 3 coach, or if it is supposed to be tapered on both ends? Has anyone else had this problem, assuming the pole was not cut and if so, how did you fix it. Thinking about maybe making a cut lengthwise on the end of the pole a couple of inches long.

As always, Thanks to all. You have been so helpful as I get more familiar with my new (to me) coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	226147  
Old 04-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #2

Our Sunseeker has that exact same hardware for the table post. Unfortunately I can’t solve your problem because ours is easy to remove at the top. I can say the the pole is not manufactured tapered at the top. I did cut a little over 2 inches off our table post because the table was too high. After cutting, it worked just as before, easy to remove when desired.

Is the post for your table out of round at the top? Maybe it was clamped too tightly in a vice if/when it was sawed off?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #3

Our pole does not appear to be out of round. How long is your pole after cutting 2” off.
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:24 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
On to my next issue...

The pole that holds up the dinette table is way too tight at the table end. Finally got it out using one of those rubber type pipe wrenches.

At the floor end, the pole is tapered, however at the table end it is not. I saw a red mark on the pole and was wondering if the previous owner may have cut the pole shorter, assuming that it may have been tapered at both ends originally. My pole measures 28" long.

Does anyone know how long the dinette pole is on an Isata 3 coach, or if it is supposed to be tapered on both ends? Has anyone else had this problem, assuming the pole was not cut and if so, how did you fix it. Thinking about maybe making a cut lengthwise on the end of the pole a couple of inches long.

As always, Thanks to all. You have been so helpful as I get more familiar with my new (to me) coach.
ONLY the bottom is tapered, the top is not. The top, goes into that round section that has a rubber collar and you tighten or loosen the rubber collar with that knob on the top side mount.

IF you are referring to the bottom being tight...that's why we picked it. All the others rattle and get loose. This one does not. However, the trick is, to pull UP on the table mount and tap the sides with a wood block or rubber part of a hammer (I just use my hand and hit it a little harder). But with that vibration...it pops right out after a few taps.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
Our pole does not appear to be out of round. How long is your pole after cutting 2” off.
I just checked my table. It appears to be exactly the same hardware as in your photo. After loosening the clamp knob under the table top, the table lifts off very easily. Perhaps on yours there is damage to the insert ring, or the clamp mechanism is assembled incorrectly. Check my attached photos for comparison. Only one end of the pole is tapered, and it’s at the bottom. The top was never tapered.

The table top was way too high on my new unit, so I cut 2-1/4” off the pole. I didn't measure the original length, but based on how much I cut, it was 28”. The pole now measures 25-3/4”. The top of the table is now at 29” from the slide out floor, which is the same height as my home dining room table. It feels natural at this height.

In addition, as a side note, Forest River puts the table base too far out of the U shaped dinette, so the table is not centered in the booth. I’m not sure if Dynamax does the same thing. I moved the pole base on the floor 3” toward the window and now the table is centered in the booth, and the reach to the table is the same in all seating locations.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E233FBD3-EEFF-488F-A6F9-5D278E8FA41E.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	226166   Click image for larger version

Name:	F0AA10EA-348A-42AB-B06C-717812DC2656.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	226167  
Old 04-02-2020, 11:45 PM   #6

Thanks to you both. The pole when fully inserted to the bracket at the table end is so tight I can not turn the pole. No need for the bolt that clamps it down. Will take another look at the end of the pole and black plastic insert ring in the morning. Good to know it’s supposed to rotate easily when the clamp is loosened.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:11 AM   #7

Looking at your original photo, I think your clamp may be assembled incorrectly. On mine, with the clamp loosened, the small silver (possibly aluminum) block is backed up to the grey casting. On yours there is a gap. The problem on yours may be that the tip of the threaded clamp bolt in not engaged inside the slot on the small silver block. Rather, it’s sitting outside the slot, which is causing the clamp to be too tight even with the bolt loosened all the way.

Check that the tip of the bolt is inside the slot of that little silver block.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #8

I was hopeful when I saw your post that might be the problem, however my bracket is virtually the same as your. The casting is slightly different where the bolt goes into the housing. I was noticing grooves in the plastic insert made from the pole seemingly from being too tight of a fit. When I insert the pole more than 1/2 way in, it is almost impossible to remove just from twisting and it screeches from the friction of being twisted. Original owner never removed the pole from his table. I noticed some small burs at the end of the pole from being cut and smoothed them with a fine file. Its as if I need to take a cylinder hone and ream out the plastic insert. Wish I could taper the pole somehow. The tapered end goes in nice as a test and still tightens down with the bolt. Can't imagine there are different diameter poles or inserts. Has anyone else experienced the same tight fit?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	226179  
Old 04-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #9

Problem solved...

I didn't have a cylinder hone so made my own to ream out the plastic insert that the pole slides into. Used a hole saw with blade end pointed toward my drill. Wrapped it with 2 side tape and then wrapped that with various grit sandpapers starting with 150. Used the drill with sandpaper to ream out the plastic bushing. Smoothed out the ridges and made the hole slightly larger. The pole now slides into the bracket by hand and locks down with the adjustment bolt as intended.

Thank you for the earlier feedback and help...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	597.8 KB
ID:	226195  
Old 04-04-2020, 05:21 AM   #10
Dobbs from WI

Now that was a fantastic MacGyver solution for reaming out the table mount!
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #11

Creativity always wins. Nice job.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #12

I cut 2 inches off mine and was left with a tight fit. Sprayed a little silicon on the plastic and all was good.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #13
Commercial Member

And this is why some people are "super happy" RV'ers and some hate the lifestyle. If you are not a little bit handy around your own home....then you will likely not be handy hundreds if not thousands of miles away from it in a temporary one.

Ingenuity at its finest. Annoying, but solvable problem.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount