Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #1

Dinette Slide Out Room is No Longer “Square” In The Wall Opening (2019 Isata 5 35DB)

I am looking for some advice as to how I can “square up” a slide out room. Our dinette slide out room has, over time, decided that it does not want to be square any longer and I am not sure how to tackle that. So, I thought I would tap the collective wisdom of the group here for some any ideas.

With the slide in, you can look at the black trim pieces affixed to the body and see that more is exposed at the top on one side and more is exposed at the bottom on the other side......

.....and with the slide out, you can see the rack for the slide out mechanism is HEAVILY bowed out on the bottom on one side, but heavily bowed out top of the other side.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:08 AM   #2

While we don’t own an Isata 5 (we have an XL), I would take it to the factory and let Greg handle it. They are outstanding and very efficient. Nothing like the knowledge of those that build your RV.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #3

It was just there last I saw...
Old 09-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
Site Team

I'm sure some pictures would help us see what you're talking about.

Do you suspect that the room is 'Racked' or is it just skewed in the opening?

Have you checked for water intrusion? Is the roof of the slide in good shape?
Old 09-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
Commercial Member

You can always reset the slide stops....maybe one side is pushing too hard vs. the other one?

Are you sure you aren't just noticing what has been there from the begining?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #6

My dealer attempted to adjust my slide - they ripped my floor, they ripped my wallpaper, they damaged the wood trim on the slide, damaged the pillar next to the slide and I now have a two-inch wide by 2.5 for arc'd scratch on the bottom of the slide... so... now I have a factory appointment in December to get all that fixed AND the slide adjusted!

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
You can always reset the slide stops....maybe one side is pushing too hard vs. the other one?
Yeah, I think that is where I am going to start. I guess the mental struggle I am having with that approach is that the spur gears are driven together on a common shaft. So, how would the individual racks on the same side get out of sync?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Are you sure you aren't just noticing what has been there from the begining?
You know, honest to god, that was my first thought. Where that falls apart for me is the racks for the mechanism. I feel EXTREMELY confident that I would have noticed the major bows in those pieces after 2 years of ownership and hundreds of nights camped. Especially that bottom one on the back of the slide that is bowed _in_ and touching the paint. There is just NO WAY it was like that from the get go.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
It was just there last I saw...
<sigh> .....yes, it was.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I'm sure some pictures would help us see what you're talking about.
Hmmmmm…..I have pretty detailed pictures posted. Not sure why you are not seeing them.

Quote:
Do you suspect that the room is 'Racked' or is it just skewed in the opening?
Hard to tell at this point. It LOOKS like the roof and floor are parallel, but the vertical walls are not perpendicular to them. So, the room is a parallelogram and the opening is still a square/rectangle.

Quote:
Have you checked for water intrusion? Is the roof of the slide in good shape?
Several months ago I replaced/upgraded the dinette booths and carpeting, which exposed the plywood floor. There was some slight water staining/damage on the floor, but I really don’t know where it came from. It was just a couple “patches” where, in theory, someone could have spilled a drink….but one of these spot was UNDER a dinette both where, in theory, it would have been impossible to spill something, but that’s the size we are talking about. The roof and walls look fine.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWayz View Post
My dealer attempted to adjust my slide - they ripped my floor, they ripped my wallpaper, they damaged the wood trim on the slide, damaged the pillar next to the slide and I now have a two-inch wide by 2.5 for arc'd scratch on the bottom of the slide... so... now I have a factory appointment in December to get all that fixed AND the slide adjusted!
Ugh, that is terrible. I cannot figure out how dealers get away with this stuff. I've just come to realize that the either I'm going to fix it or the factory is going to fix it, there's nothing else in-between.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
Hmmmmm…..I have pretty detailed pictures posted. Not sure why you are not seeing them.
If those pictures are hosted somewhere besides FRF then I can't see them. I can't even see a marker for them from some sites. The firewall here is pretty restrictive.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
If those pictures are hosted somewhere besides FRF then I can't see them. I can't even see a marker for them from some sites. The firewall here is pretty restrictive.
Roger that, how about this......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5367.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	240163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5368.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	240164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5364.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	240165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5366.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	240166  
Old 09-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Oh yeah, I see them now.

It looks like the whole room is unplumb with the opening.

Does the bottom or top flange look true to the RV?
Old 09-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Roger that, how about this......

I was able to see all pictures, just so you know you are not crazy.

Looks like something has jumped the track. Also looks like something only the factory can make right.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what the fix is.

campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Ugh, that is terrible. I cannot figure out how dealers get away with this stuff. I've just come to realize that the either I'm going to fix it or the factory is going to fix it, there's nothing else in-between.
Yeah, learned the hard way. Won't make that mistake again. Haven't been back to the dealer since and don't plan to. Quickly learning (with the help of this forum) that there is not much I can't do on my own when it comes to service and repair.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #16

Quote:
I am looking for some advice as to how I can “square up” a slide out room. Our dinette slide out room has, over time, decided that it does not want to be square any longer and I am not sure how to tackle that. So, I thought I would tap the collective wisdom of the group here for some any ideas.

With the slide in, you can look at the black trim pieces affixed to the body and see that more is exposed at the top on one side and more is exposed at the bottom on the other side......

.....and with the slide out, you can see the rack for the slide out mechanism is HEAVILY bowed out on the bottom on one side, but heavily bowed out top of the other side.

that's similar to the slide on my 2018 Isata 3 FW that I have an appointment at the factory on 5 Oct to take care of along with a list of other problems. My slide comes in real tight at the top and stays out a little over an inch at the bottom. The front of the slide floor hits the coach floor when it is in. The big problem I have now is Canada won't let Alaska Snowbirds drive thru. It's considered non-essential travel I missed an appointment back in April for the same reason. I am working on plan C or may have to beg for a warranty extension which is up in June 2021
BudC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #17

Could removing the dinette have contributed? I removed the dinette in a fifth wheel (in a previous life) and realized that the seats helped to hold the slideout box square, by the way they were screwed into the walls and floor. I had to prop up the floor every time we pulled in the slide to help support the weight.
Although from what I've experienced, the slideout box in our I-5 seems to be built way better and rigid than any other Rv we have owned.
jdebevec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #18
Commercial Member

And the slide rails themselves I don't think have much bearing on that...sometimes they bow in, sometimes they bow out. No rhyme or reason...and its just a result of the "straight push". The system itself has about a 3/4" of tolerance for the rails to move up/down. If you reset the slide stops, you could get them all to where they don't bow (reduce pressure on the seals) and it won't affect the slide room. Unless somehow that extra push is making it ride up on something.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #19

I have the same slide problem on my Isata 3. Talked to the factory about it and sent pictures so I could get it fixed under warranty. My slide is a lot more out of square then yours. The west coast factory rep said “that is normal and they look that way coming off the line.” I complained about it at the time of purchase but everyone told me that is just the way a Dynamax slide looks. I like my Isata 3 and the slide does not leak and works well, it just looks bad!
Old 10-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #20
MSgt & MSgt, USAF Retired

We have the same issue with the bowing of the tracks on opposite sides as well. I'm hesitant to mess with them though. It is also quite noisy when extending.
2020 Ultra CVO
Traded in 2020 ISATA 5 36DS
clockcuff_66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, slide, slide out