RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-28-2020, 10:47 PM   #1
Ekg

Dometic 2-way in Isata 5 28ss venting question

We just took a 2-week trip out to the Badlands and back to the east coast in the 28ss. The coach was terrific. We did run into the known “absorption fridge gets warm as the temperature increases” issue at above 85 outside, so I decided to install fans at the exterior vents, both upper and lower.

Here’s what what confuses me. I can only locate the lower vent on the outside of the coach. Using a flashlight, I can look all the way up the back of the frig to the heat exchange fins at the top (there is a small fan wired up there), but I don’t see an upper vent for the heat to escape. I thought upper vents were necessary on absorption refrigerators as an outlet for the rising hot air to create the “flue” effect. There is also a wooden box up the inside of the exterior wall, so the space between the refrigerator and the box is only a few inches — not a lot of room for air flow. Am I missing something here? Does anyone have any suggestions about:

1). Where else to look for an upper vent (roof, inside coach, etc), and
2). How to maximize air flow to allow for heat exchange if the only exterior vent is at the bottom of the refrigerator?

Thanks,

Erik
Ekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #2

The bottom vent is for air intake. There should be an oval shaped exhaust vent cover on the roof. Similar to thisClick image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	235094
Bill and Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #3
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekg View Post
We just took a 2-week trip out to the Badlands and back to the east coast in the 28ss. The coach was terrific. We did run into the known “absorption fridge gets warm as the temperature increases” issue at above 85 outside, so I decided to install fans at the exterior vents, both upper and lower.

Here’s what what confuses me. I can only locate the lower vent on the outside of the coach. Using a flashlight, I can look all the way up the back of the frig to the heat exchange fins at the top (there is a small fan wired up there), but I don’t see an upper vent for the heat to escape. I thought upper vents were necessary on absorption refrigerators as an outlet for the rising hot air to create the “flue” effect. There is also a wooden box up the inside of the exterior wall, so the space between the refrigerator and the box is only a few inches — not a lot of room for air flow. Am I missing something here? Does anyone have any suggestions about:

2). How to maximize air flow to allow for heat exchange if the only exterior vent is at the bottom of the refrigerator?

Thanks,

Erik
If you pull the manual on the fridge there are typically (as mentioned above) two options for venting.
1. Two sidewall vents. This is primarily for slide outs, but also where obstructions might limit the ability to get proper spacing on two sidewall vents.
2. Lower sidewall vent (for heavier than air gases) and a roof vent. Often there will be a "baffle" that is installed to ensure that the air passes "RIGHT" over the coils. You don't actually want a lot of space between the coils and the wall or air can flow right past and not "across the coils" like you want.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
Head Rambler

And let's not forget about the elusive bottom vent which can be under the coach. These animals are extremely rare, but they do exist in the wild.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
Motorized GM

here is the 9cu ft manual. I noticed that it was not in our online interactive, so it will get added today.

The box is a box baffle....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3315546.000 RM3962 9cu refer.pdf (9.94 MB, 67 views)
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 07-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:

Thanks,

Erik
Upper vent is mandatory. If he a t can't get out refer can't cool. I would contact the manufacturer.
almcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
Motorized GM

Why do people not read the whole thread before posting.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
Head Rambler

Cause it's funner to read the first 6 words and post away!
Old 07-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #9
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Cause it's funner to read the
Cause its funnier to read the what???? don't leave us hangin!
Old 07-30-2020, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Cause its funnier to read the what???? don't leave us hangin!
good one!
jenandrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:40 PM   #11
Ekg

Thank you to everyone — found it

Thank you to everyone, particularly Brian, for helping me with this. The vent is of the covered roof variety (the picture definitely helped Bill and Gail), and I plan to install additional fans this weekend.

We are constantly learning about all of the features built into this incredible RV — information like what the baffle does makes a tremendous difference in our understanding and appreciation of the engineering.

Best,

Erik
Old 09-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #12
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Thank you to everyone, particularly Brian, for helping me with this. The vent is of the covered roof variety (the picture definitely helped Bill and Gail), and I plan to install additional fans this weekend.

We are constantly learning about all of the features built into this incredible RV — information like what the baffle does makes a tremendous difference in our understanding and appreciation of the engineering.

Best,

Erik
What fans did you employ and where did you source the power?
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #13
Ekg

I attached this fan on an angle at the base of the baffle in the exterior bay: https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Ve.../dp/B07HHRHHH6

The 12v connection in the Fridge bay was the source. On a trip through Alabama and Tennessee last weekend the hottest the frig got was 42-43 degrees — a 7 degree improvement. The exterior temp was 95 degrees every day.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:14 AM   #14
Ekg

The power source was the white wire connection at the bottom of the photo. I think it was the white wire, not the blue one, and I’m sure that the far right empty connectors weren’t hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA37FABD-00C6-4368-8AE2-C7DF23C0FF91.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	238863  
Old 09-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #15
Norwood Auto Italia

Thanks Ekg. Helpful insight.

I have 6 years experience with the same fridge and had mounted a small 110V van in the lower vent compartment facing upwards. During the last 3 summers I have seen many days of unshaded 95+degrees and this has resulted in the same 40 to 45 degree fridge temperatures.. Thats with a sensor mounted in the top door shelf and using 2 recirc fans inside. I have been able to keep the temperature in the 38-42 degree region in similar conditions by placing two frozen cooler blocks in the fridge every 6 hours. I recycle them through the freezer. They are super thin about 5X5X0.5" taking no space and effectively transmit the much colder freezer temperature to the fridge that is opened more frequently.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, vent