Old 07-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #1

Dometic 702 Broken door handle

I have a 2015 Dynamax REVrb. It has a Dometic 702 refrigerator. The door handle is broken again. If you leave the door in the ajar position so it airs out, and you bump it going past, the door handle breaks. Any one else having this problem? Do they have an upgraded handle or a different handle that will work for this refrigerator?

Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #2

I know your frustration. When we had our Isata 3 we had the Dometic 702. The clips to air it out are finicky and I alway had folks grabs the handle when the clip locks were in place and jamming the door. It never broke, just frustrating.

Is it the clips or the actual handle that is breaking. I doubt there is an upgrade handle, but just carry a spare. This listing for $15 per handle was the cheapest I saw.

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/d...ndle-assembly/

Old 07-15-2020, 08:57 PM   #3

I found those clips to be useless. I prop open my doors with foam pipe insulation resulting in a much larger opening.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I know your frustration. When we had our Isata 3 we had the Dometic 702. The clips to air it out are finicky and I alway had folks grabs the handle when the clip locks were in place and jamming the door. It never broke, just frustrating.

Is it the clips or the actual handle that is breaking. I doubt there is an upgrade handle, but just carry a spare. This listing for $15 per handle was the cheapest I saw.

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/d...ndle-assembly/
I saw that also. It doesn't look like that one, but that may be an upgrade. It looks like this. https://tinyurl.com/y9dmma22
Old 07-16-2020, 07:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I found those clips to be useless. I prop open my doors with foam pipe insulation resulting in a much larger opening.
How do you do that? Do you have a way to do that when you drive it? By the way I cut a foam swim noodle to stand up in the microwave to keep the glass turntable in place while driving.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-n-Dale View Post
I saw that also. It doesn't look like that one, but that may be an upgrade. It looks like this. https://tinyurl.com/y9dmma22
I had handles on mine that looked like yours and when I broke one from hitting it with my shoulder I ordered 2 from Dometic. I'm glad I ordered 2, because when they came they were like the ones in milkman's link. I like those better. They don't stick out as far and I'm less likely to hit it with my shoulder when I walk by it.
dr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #7
Motorized GM

Those are the ones we use today and they always fall off...but now I know why.

If you watch people at shows, they never know how to open a fridge, after opening a fridge in 100 coaches in a row as if they are going to be different.

Dometic got so tired of covering "broken" handles, they made these snap on. So if you use too much force...they fall off, but at least they don't break. They just fall off easier each time
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #8

Quote:
How do you do that? Do you have a way to do that when you drive it? By the way I cut a foam swim noodle to stand up in the microwave to keep the glass turntable in place while driving.

I only prop them open when parked.

My two attempts using BIG swim noodles in the microwave failed. I use the yellow COSTCO micro fiber cloths to encase the turntable.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I use the clips, and they work great for me. The handles on the other hand I don’t care for. I haven’t broken any but I don’t like the way they stick out. If the bathroom door is ajar they rub the door and leave a nasty scar. I’d like to hear more reviews on the replacement handles.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

If you watch people at shows, they never know how to open a fridge, after opening a fridge in 100 coaches in a row as if they are going to be different.

Dometic got so tired of covering "broken" handles, they made these snap on. So if you use too much force...they fall off, but at least they don't break. They just fall off easier each time
I ordered two from Amazon, with Prime I get free delivery. RV parts express had them for $15 each, but the shipping cost more than the parts.

My first RV was a 1974 Open Road motor home. So I have been to lots of RV shows. I've seen a lot of broken parts after the public gets done with them.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:

Brian, I ordered a couple of handles from Amazon. They don't fit at all.
I don't know where to get the handles old or new for the DMR702.
Help!
Thanks Tom
Old 07-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
Motorized GM

Quote:
Brian, I ordered a couple of handles from Amazon. They don't fit at all.
I don't know where to get the handles old or new for the DMR702.
Help!
Thanks Tom
I'd post a pic. Not sure why they would be different.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 07-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
I'd post a pic. Not sure why they would be different.
Here is the link to Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought two of them and can't find anyway to make them fit. The holes are not in the same place either.

https://tinyurl.com/y5uzosdq
Old 07-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #14

Here is a picture of the door handle

Click image for larger version

Name:	DMR702 Door Handle.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	234664

The larger one is the broken one. I tried again to fit the new one on the door, but there is no way it would fit.

I tried contacting Dometic, but you have to be a manufacturer or dealer.
There is an email address for end users, but they don't respond at all.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #15
Motorized GM

Well, that lower handle is not the one everyone is buying. If you look at milkman55's post...that handle on Amazon looks different.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #16

The Amazon link you provided does not say it fits the 702 model. “Door Handle Fit for DM2652, DM2852, DM2862, DM2662, DM2663 Dometic Fridge Upper and Lower Door”.

The RV Parts Express says it fits the 702 upper and lower. They give 5 different pictures from different angles. You should be able to match it up with your broken handle mounts and see if it works. I think it’s the upgrade lower profile handle.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #17
Motorized GM

Quote:
The Amazon link you provided does not say it fits the 702 model. “Door Handle Fit for DM2652, DM2852, DM2862, DM2662, DM2663 Dometic Fridge Upper and Lower Door”.

The RV Parts Express says it fits the 702 upper and lower. They give 5 different pictures from different angles. You should be able to match it up with your broken handle mounts and see if it works. I think it’s the upgrade lower profile handle.
^^This^^
Old 07-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #18

Quote:

Freezer and refrigerator take different handles, reversed. Right freezer handle fits left refrigerator, etc.
2014 Explorer & 2006 Jeep Unlimited
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:05 PM   #19

Quote:
^^This^^
I ordered two of the Dometic DMR 4450018323 Right Freezer Left Refrigerator Door Handle Assembly from RV Parts Express. I called them to be sure, because what I saw on their website was just a picture placeholder. He pointed me in the right direction and I ordered two, but they are on back order. Shipping cost more than the parts.

Tags
dometic, door