Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #1

Dometic Fridge not cooling

Just got back from 4 day trip to Virginia City (high altitude and hot) and the Dometic Fridge in our 2020 Isata 3 quit cooling. It may be a "my bad" problem because we parked in a significant nose-down space for 4-5 hours but, because I'm still a newbie, I can't figure out the problem.

First noticed loss of cooling day after VC. I went online to search ideas how to get it working again. Checked 12v fuses and 120v CB and both good. Started to look to see if LP flame was lighting and it wasn't: when I unplugged 110v plug the igniter started clicking and the flame came on; left it this way for 12+ hours and still no cooling (Fridge or freezer).

Now I'm home and looking for help on what to look for next. Thanks in advance for any ideas or help understanding problem.
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Was there any yellow residue or ammonia odor when you were in the access door?

When you say nose down how much 'nose down' was it?

Have you downloaded the service manual for your particular model fridge? It will give you some hints in checking for plugged cooling units.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2002Wanderer View Post
Just got back from 4 day trip to Virginia City (high altitude and hot) and the Dometic Fridge in our 2020 Isata 3 quit cooling. It may be a "my bad" problem because we parked in a significant nose-down space for 4-5 hours but, because I'm still a newbie, I can't figure out the problem.

First noticed loss of cooling day after VC. I went online to search ideas how to get it working again. Checked 12v fuses and 120v CB and both good. Started to look to see if LP flame was lighting and it wasn't: when I unplugged 110v plug the igniter started clicking and the flame came on; left it this way for 12+ hours and still no cooling (Fridge or freezer).

Now I'm home and looking for help on what to look for next. Thanks in advance for any ideas or help understanding problem.
How long was it cooling prior to that? It won't cool at ALL? or it won't get cold enough?

Check the vents on the outside wall...I have seen a couple that were taped off for paint and they did not pull the masking tape from the inside. That would prevent it from cooling well...but typically not cause it to not cool at all.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #4

Dometic Fridge cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Was there any yellow residue or ammonia odor when you were in the access door?

When you say nose down how much 'nose down' was it?

Have you downloaded the service manual for your particular model fridge? It will give you some hints in checking for plugged cooling units.
Bama Rambler,
Thank you for the reply.
Didn't see any yellow residue or smell any ammonia when I opened access door.
We were parked on a 12% down slope (approximately 1.2:10 Slope) or front axle about 20" lower than rear axle.
I've read the "Installation & Operating Instructions" manual Troubleshooting guidelines but no success yet.
Thanks for you help,
Don (The wanderer2002)
Old 07-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

Brian,
Thanks for your usual prompt response, makes me glad I purchased an Isata.
Home now so I've taken off the top and bottom access/vent covers and checked for blockage - none, just minor road dust.
The fridge has worked for two previous cross country road trips; this trip I started fridge 36 hours before loading and our trip. It appeared to be working fine Wed-Thur. Friday morning we noticed it wasn't keeping things cold and by end of day it was evident that there was no cooling at all.
I've plugged RV into shore power and turned fridge back on in hopes that if the ammonia lines had been blocked they might have cleared after sitting overnight. I'll let you know if this has cleared up the problem. If not any more repair is beyond my DIY skill set and I'll have to take it for warranty service. I live 3 hours from my Dealer and I'm hoping that there is somewhere closer to home that would handle service. My zip code is 94947.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Yeah, lets see where that takes us. If it worked two trips before, then it is not air flow. Make sure the little t-stat that sits on the fins (back right top corner) has not fallen off.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

I would switch modes between propane and electric and not leave it on “Auto”, just to make sure it’s not a switch thing.

I am sure you checked to make sure your propane valve was open on your tank? Sorry, but some times it’s the simplest stuff. When I had my Isata 3, I found that propane was more effective cooling the fridge.

Here is a search for Authorized Dometic repair centers who can do warranty work. Looks like there is one nearby you.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/fin...es%5B%5D=63649
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0A64A39-7444-4E70-9A49-CA59F236D29A.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	235059  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #8

I hope that leaving it off level for that long doesn’t give you issues with your warranty
Falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #9

I have the Mercedes Solera and had a very similar issue myself last week. I happen to live near Virginia City myself and agree on the heat. Like you, I always turn on frig 2-3 days prior to my nearby camping trip. I put a carton of ice cream in the freezer and it didn’t melt the first two days while boondocking. Then everything melted. I was running the generator frequently for the a/c also. I got home and plugged the rv back into power and the frig appeared to cool much better. I then asked my rv repair shop about the frig. They thought nothing was wrong, saying that it was just too hot without using 110v. I usually camp with 110v and less heat, so I’ve never had an issue with it before in seven years with my Dometic model.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:10 AM   #10

Mtnlvr,
I was hoping for a similar outcome but, alas, not to be so. Since I got home to the SF Bay area I've tried using shore power and LP Only and monitored inside and outside temps every 3 hours. My Dometic fridge just isn't producing any cold in either compartment. I've done enough online research to convince myself it is beyond my DIY skill set. Now to find a Dometic repair service within 100 miles that will look at it during "peak season"...
Old 07-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #11

Brian,
I've tried everything suggested by you and others without success. Can you recommend an authorized Dometic Repair Service near 94947? So far everyone I've called is too busy due to "peak season"? Will I need pre-authorization for warranty repair?
Thanks, Don
Old 07-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #12

Are the temperature/mode lights on your fridge flashing? We had this issue twice and it turned out to be an easy fix of a thermal cutoff fuse. We were one day out on a 2 week 3,000+ miles RV trip when our Dometic fridge went out. We called Paul at Fridge Defend who helped us to correctly diagnose and fix the problem over the phone. Call him and buy his product! On the first outage, the dealer supposedly fixed the issue by installing a new control board. Wrong. Got the same error/lights flashing from the fridge as we had experienced the first go around. We did not even own Fridge Defend when we called them while on the road. Very impressed with customer service and his knowledge base.
Kimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2002Wanderer View Post
Brian,
I've tried everything suggested by you and others without success. Can you recommend an authorized Dometic Repair Service near 94947? So far everyone I've called is too busy due to "peak season"? Will I need pre-authorization for warranty repair?
Thanks, Don
We would only be able to give you Dynamax dealers, however the link that Milkman55 provided is for Dometic authorized dealers. So if it is handled through them, then that opens up a wider net.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #14

There have been several postings about the thermal fuse blowing in this hot weather. I “borrowed” this picture from over on one of the Facebook groups.

The thermal fuse is in the black tubing I circled in the picture. If you have a voltage meter you can check to see if the fuse is bad.
Attached Images

milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:39 PM   #15

Yes, you have to remove the black covering to find the fuse. Luckily for us, I had read the issues with these fuses and had several on hand. I purchased 10 on Amazon for $8. The seller also sells them individually on their site:
https://www.goodmans.net/i/3518/ther...es-celsius.htm
Kimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #16

Yes that could be your problem, We had the same issue with our 2020 Rockwood Ultral Lite 2898KS 5ver. The heat fuse controls all 12v to the Domatic refer.It is a fire fail safe. If it is out noting will work on the Refer. All lightes on control panel will be out. Our dealer who is very good to us, fixed ours with no issue. However he did comment that this was extremely odd in his 30+ years that this was a issue as the fuse had not melted it just failed.
Skiveywaver3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, dometic, fridge