Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #1

Dometic Fridge - Stopped Working - Isata 3 - Bad Thermal Fuse

My Dometic refrigerator stopped working on my Isata 3 while out on a trip. The light inside stopped working along with the control lights to turn it on or change the temperature or to change it from propane to electric.

Checked all fuses but found none that were blown. I think I have tracked it down to a bad thermal fuse. When I bypass it everything works perfect. Going to try and get a new one tomorrow. Not sure if I want to bypass it for the rest of the trip.

Has anyone had the same problem with your refrigerator? Will it hurt anything to bypass the thermal fuse until I can get home?

Thankfully I was able to put my food in someone else’s fridge.

Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E7F44D9E-EF2D-4DA9-BF9E-789824F0AEE9.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	472.5 KB
ID:	257357   Click image for larger version

Name:	6D0CD86F-493D-40DD-AAE1-ACBB9903E734.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	799.1 KB
ID:	257358  
jneum525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:55 PM   #2

Well it blew for a reason so I'd wouldn't bypass it for any length of time. When mine went out I just treated it like a child and got frozen gallons of water and put them in the fridge. Worked good if you can keep up on the ice every few fuel stops

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:05 PM   #3

I also have an Isata 3 and had the same thing happen on our way back from Savanah this week. Last year I read about the thermal fuse issue so I bought a few.
In my case I was driving across Kansas so it was hot.
NearDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:54 PM   #4

Thank you both for the replies. Did either of you isolate the cause of the failure or did you just chalk it up to a bad thermal fuse?

Planning to get some spares for the future.

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-19-2021, 05:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneum525 View Post
Thank you both for the replies. Did either of you isolate the cause of the failure or did you just chalk it up to a bad thermal fuse?

Thanks again!!!
They blow in extreme hot weather. I had one blow in Arizona on a 100 degree day. Replaced it and never had a problem after that for the two years I owned the rv.
Too be on the safe side though, I would check the upper vent cover and make sure it’s free of masking tape and the opening is completely cut out from the factory.
If your going to spend a lot of time in extreme heat you can add additional cooling fans made for that purpose.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:03 AM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host

Mine blew in South Dakota in really hot weather. I bypassed it for a few days until I could get a new one. That was four years ago and it's never blown since.
Attached Images

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #7

Thanks Bill and Cboss. That explains it. We were driving through AZ just as you said and stopped at a truck stop to have lunch w the AC on inside. It was probably close to 110 out. This puts my mind at ease knowing the heat most likely caused the failure. Now if I can just find one this morning.

Are there any other spare parts (for things that go out more frequently) in addition to extra thermal fuses that I should get for the fridge?

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-19-2021, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
T
Are there any other spare parts (for things that go out more frequently) in addition to extra thermal fuses that I should get for the fridge?
I ordered a pack of ten after ours blew. I've never needed another, but I've given two of them away.
As for any other items, nothing I can think of specific to the fridge, but I always have extra fuses (all types) and an electrical repair kit that includes wire, terminals, etc, and most importantly a decent multimeter.

Safe Travels.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #9

And BTW: Amazon has many at reasonable prices.

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-H...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Old 06-19-2021, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:

Thanks again!!!
Would appreciate if you'd share the part number for this when you find one. A spare or two would be handy. Mine is a 2019 Isata 3. Thanks!
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
Would appreciate if you'd share the part number for this when you find one. A spare or two would be handy. Mine is a 2019 Isata 3. Thanks!
Check out my post above yours (Amazon Link). It isn't so much the part number you need it's the temp range.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
And BTW: Amazon has many at reasonable prices.

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-H...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Thanks again CBOSS for all the great info. My thermal fuse says it’s rated at 152°C. I noticed the link that you sent looks like it’s for a pack that has multiple temperature ranges.

I was kind of wondering if I’m going to be driving in hot weather on a regular basis if maybe I should try and get one that has a higher rating than 152° C, if that makes sense?

Thanks Again.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:36 AM   #13

This is the replacement that I bought when mine went out in hot weather in Oklahoma recently. Same 152C rating as the original.
Thermal Cutoffs Fuse 152C 152 Degree 10A 250V Replacement Part for NEC SEFUSE SF152N-1 (pack of 5) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W2K6Z81...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #14

Quote:
My Dometic refrigerator stopped working on my Isata 3 while out on a trip. The light inside stopped working along with the control lights to turn it on or change the temperature or to change it from propane to electric.

Checked all fuses but found none that were blown. I think I have tracked it down to a bad thermal fuse. When I bypass it everything works perfect. Going to try and get a new one tomorrow. Not sure if I want to bypass it for the rest of the trip.

Has anyone had the same problem with your refrigerator? Will it hurt anything to bypass the thermal fuse until I can get home?

Thankfully I was able to put my food in someone else’s fridge.

Thanks!!!
Just an observation, but looking at all the material that has accumulated in you box, I bet its time to clean you burner & scrape out all that old contaminates! Might just make it more efficient! Look for a clean burning blue flame!
Snoopy
snoopy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #15

We blew one in AZ last year, 110 degree weather. Made a temporary replacement with a fuse holder and 15 amp fuse until I could get a replacement thermal fuse from Amazon.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy1 View Post
Just an observation, but looking at all the material that has accumulated in you box, I bet its time to clean you burner & scrape out all that old contaminates! Might just make it more efficient! Look for a clean burning blue flame!
Snoopy

Thanks again to all for the continued feedback on this subject. It’s nerve racking to have a problem, especially w the fridge.

I bypassed the thermal fuse this morning and have been watching the temperature in my freezer and fridge drop steadily (albeit slowly) all day. Temps Should be good in morning. Have been running it w propane rather than electric as I think it gets colder w propane. Wasn’t able to find a replacement thermal fuse at local rv dealer so will run bypassed till we get home.

I did notice something strange. The fan outside at the back of fridge was still running tonight even though it has cooled down outside. I just turned fridge off and back on after a few minutes. Initially w electric and then switched to propane. The fan stayed off w both for awhile but has come on intermittently w propane. It is Off again now, so all may be completely normal.

I can’t imagine this has anything to do w bypassing the thermal fuse. Perhaps it’s just warmer out than I thought but I don’t recall the fan coming on at night before especially when cooler outside.

As for the contaminants in the pic. I saw that as well and cleaned it thoroughly earlier w shop vac. Nice blue flame.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #17

Mine actually blew in the extreme cold. It was 24 degrees out and I was cruising the highway at speed so it had wind chill effect as well.

Maybe the system couldn't realize the burner was running and kept trying to trigger the heater to the point the thermal fuse let go.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #18

Returned from our trip and ordered a 5-pack of thermal fuses. Very reasonable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BVWPKK...roduct_details

Made up a couple spare harnesses yesterday to have on hand if it happens again...

Thanks again to all that responded to my post when we were on the road...
Old 06-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #19

Installing an auxillary fan outside in the Fridge vent Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
....If your going to spend a lot of time in extreme heat you can add additional cooling fans made for that purpose.
Now that we are back home, I would like to add an additional cooling fan outside in the fridge vent area, as it looks like we will be travelling in more and more places that are hot. Especially this summer.

Any suggestions on what brand to get and how to install it?

I'm pretty sure the fridge has at least one fan in the upper vent area as I hear it come on in when it is hotter outside. Adding at least one more fan would probably help to dissipate the heat better.
Thanks
Old 07-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #20

Does this faux wood insert look correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
…I would check the upper vent cover and make sure it’s free of masking tape and the opening is completely cut out from the factory.
If your going to spend a lot of time in extreme heat you can add additional cooling fans made for that purpose.

Looking at the possibility of adding some additional cooling fans and I was just noticing there is a wooden shield (for lack of a better word) on the lower portion of the upper vent area.

Is this normal?

It definitely looks like it was put there from the factory so I don’t want to remove it if it is supposed to be there. Just trying to figure out the best way to add some cooling fans to help dissipate the heat in the fridge vent area when traveling in hot areas.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D8A6E5F-1903-42CC-9BD0-C540E3ACB07F.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	258364  

Tags
fridge, fuse