Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
Mike

Dometic NDR 1062 Fridge Cooling Fans

I know there has been a lot posted about cooling issues with Dometic refrigerators in warmer ambient weather (and I have read a lot of it), but I have a question about two cooling fans that are located on the back of Dometic fridge (NDR1062). They basically look just like computer cooling fans. Wiring runs down to the fridge circuit control board and lands on the lamp / heater spot.

Not finding anything on these fans in the Dometic fridge manuals I am looking to see if others might know what controls these two fans (when they are supposed to turn on and off). Ideally having them start due to warmer temps on backside of fridge due to higher ambient temps would be great. I don't see an external thermostat to control them. Not sure if they were from Dometic or aftermarket in my 2006 Grand Sport GT.

Thanks,

Mike
Mherman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

The fans could be an after market or added by the previous owner. Looking at the parts list it doesn't show a fan. It sounds like the fans could be connected to the 120vac heating element so when it is on the fan comes on. Or one could be connected to the light power so it will run when needed and the other turns on with the heating element. Some computer fans have a built-in thermistor which turns them on/off as needed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ndr1062.pdf (423.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf NDR-parts.pdf (204.9 KB, 24 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
Commercial Member

they are from Dometic....there are two types of venting.
#1. vent through roof. Hot air rises, which creates a draft as cooler air enters the lower grill and warmer air goes out the roof vent.

#2. If the fridge is located in a slide out, or in situations where roof venting is not ideal, you can vent "through wall" which is a lower vent, and an upper vent. Because this is not quite as good, those fridges come wit the vents to help move the air across the fins.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
Mike

Thank you both for your replies on my question regarding refrigerator cooling fans. I found the old snap-disc thermostat to be bad so I replaced it with one that closes at 110 degF and opens at 90 degF. Did not expect it to be twice the size of the original! Still secured it to upper fin in same location.

Problem I have now is that the old fans draw to much current and trip the 3 amp fuse on the Dometic circuit board. When I disconnect the fan circuit the fridge runs fine. Not really sure I want to up the AGX3 fuse to a 5 amp fuse. Thinking about running power cable for fans to 12v breaker panel by batteries.
Mherman22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, dometic, fan, fridge