RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
Señor Miembro

Don't look in your Fresh water tank! Ignorance really is bliss.

Warning, if you don't have a strong stomach, don't read any further.

I had the bright idea to add an access port to the fresh water tank because our water tasted a little funny. I thought that because we are on un-chlorinated well water, maybe it had sat too long in the tank in the heat of summer and gone a little off. So I figured, with an access port, I could pour in some bleach.

I had expected to maybe find a little construction debris in the tank. But what I discovered instead was lots of critters all in different stages of rot, decay and decomposition. It's really pretty disgusting to think of all the spiders, beetles, flys and mosquito liquified guts we've been drinking! No wonder our water tastes a little off.

Turns out, that the vent and overflow lines have no screens nor filters on them so the critters have easy access to just fly & crawl up into our fresh water supply. I'm not sure what the majority of the critters were because most of them are just a black goo and are too far gone for identification. But at least I didn't find any fur!

On the positive note, at least adding the hatch allowed me to get in there and use a wet vac to clean it all out. I've ordered a screen filter to add to the 1/2" overflow line. The 1-3/8 corrugated vent line, I haven't decided what to do with that yet. Might just plug it. I really don't like that it is large enough for mice and cockroaches to crawl up.

Lastly, I do NOT recommend adding an access port like mine that I bought at west marine. When I come up with a better one, I'll let ya know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water tank before.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	238526   Click image for larger version

Name:	water tank bugs.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	238527   Click image for larger version

Name:	water tank bugs 2.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	238528   Click image for larger version

Name:	water tank hatch.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	238529  
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #2

Sure it is insects and not mold? On my DX3 I have a water tank in one of the outside bays with a vent/drain, about an inch in diameter. I just stuffed some breathable foam in the tube to keep out critters. Seems to work.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post

Lastly, I do NOT recommend adding an access port like mine that I bought at west marine. When I come up with a better one, I'll let ya know.
While I didn't use it as an access port for my water tank I picked up one like this (waterproof, yada, yada, yada) from Amazon

Larger "grip dips" for fat fingers

Cost me ~$15

Did I miss the part where you installed screens on the vent lines? If they're pipe you can adapt this for most pipes. It's 3/4" NPT Female but an adapter from your favorite DIY store will work. These are for airless sprayer paint suction lines.

Air and water out, no bugs in

$5 at Lowers (plus plastic adapter as needed

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
Motorized GM

Do you not use a water filter?
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #5

Don't hurt those little creatures. You need them to build up your immunity.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
Just Tryin' to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Do you not use a water filter?
And even more...Do you not sanitize it once in a while?
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2016(retirement): 930
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #7

why don't you drink bottled water? gallon jugs cost 87 cents at Wallyworld

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:42 PM   #8

The only tap water that gets in my mouth is when I brush my teeth. Even though it smells and tastes fine. We use drinking water from our travel Berkey filter system and sometimes just a Brita pitcher.
I do usually put a couple ounces of chlorox into a wally mart blue filter and connect to a hose to fill my fresh water tank when I return home from a camping trip. Then I run the pump long enough to run some of this freshly chlorinated water through every cold and hot water faucet, including the outside shower hose connection. I've never had any sort of bad odor from any fresh water doing this.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #9
Usually Confused Member

If you think the first pictures are bad then don’t ever look inside the water tanks used on passenger aircraft. I’ve seen some where the gook on the bottom and sides could be scooped out with a spoon.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #10

I was doing good until I read the aircraft post while having dinner.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post
Warning, if you don't have a strong stomach, don't read any further.

I had the bright idea to add an access port to the fresh water tank because our water tasted a little funny. I thought that because we are on un-chlorinated well water, maybe it had sat too long in the tank in the heat of summer and gone a little off. So I figured, with an access port, I could pour in some bleach.

I had expected to maybe find a little construction debris in the tank. But what I discovered instead was lots of critters all in different stages of rot, decay and decomposition. It's really pretty disgusting to think of all the spiders, beetles, flys and mosquito liquified guts we've been drinking! No wonder our water tastes a little off.

Turns out, that the vent and overflow lines have no screens nor filters on them so the critters have easy access to just fly & crawl up into our fresh water supply. I'm not sure what the majority of the critters were because most of them are just a black goo and are too far gone for identification. But at least I didn't find any fur!

On the positive note, at least adding the hatch allowed me to get in there and use a wet vac to clean it all out. I've ordered a screen filter to add to the 1/2" overflow line. The 1-3/8 corrugated vent line, I haven't decided what to do with that yet. Might just plug it. I really don't like that it is large enough for mice and cockroaches to crawl up.

Disgusting. Don’t you have a sanitize option on your Anderson valve?

Any chance that colony came from your well?

For me the easiest way to sanitize my tank is to pour the correct amount of bleach into my fresh water hose and then hook up to my hose bib and let the water flow into the tank.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:51 PM   #12

I hate to say it, but black goo in the tanks/lines is normal (but gross!).

Last year i had to fix a water heater leak on the water heater at my office. What i saw in the lines made me never drink the water there again. Tons of gray/black goo.

When i got my DX3 it had a smell every time i ran a faucet i couldnt get rid of. 3 tanks and it still smelled. I took a few cups of bleech, mixed it with a bucket of water and dumped it into a 3/4 full tank. Cycled it through every water outlet (dont forget clothes washer and outside hose)

6 hours of driving later i drained it out. And refilled the tank to full, and cycled, and drained. I did this 3-4 times to be sure i got all the bleech out. If your on the road its best to do 1 cycle at each truck stop. I did 3 cycles at the TA in Kansas i believe and the manager wasnt happy .

Smell is gone. Bleech works like nothing else.

Question while we are at it...whats the easiest way to get access to the tank on the DX3. Obviously through the closet/TV area...but where?

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #13

Was it sitting empty? How long for?

- Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
jkoenig24

I use multiple filters and, sanitize my entire water system at least twice a year. I've had no problems in six+ years (and, an additional four years with my first RV).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #15

I drain the tank after every trip. I doubt if that debris was bug guts. I once forgot to drain the tank and after three weeks the algae was thick enough to plug the pump intake filter. Once per year I put chlorine in the filler hose and sanitize the system. An access port in the tank would be nice.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #16

All City Water Lines are full of mud and other nasty stuff but are chlorinated and usually safe to drink.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #17

I've noticed on our Wolf Pup the frame mount tank has a belly to it, but the port is on the outer edge of the tank, so even when it gets drained, there's a small amount of water that gets trapped. I'm probably going to install some inverted c-channel to flatten the belly out, but in the meantime I'm using a 3' 2x6 block on top of a car jack to manually drain every last drop out. If your tank is sitting on the floor you'll probably have a little bit that never drains fully but nowhere as bad as having a pot belly tank below.
graman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #18
Señor Miembro

Hook, definitely bugs, not mold.

TitanMike, Looks like the same hatch as I have. Mine is supposed to be waterproof too and has an o-ring. I think it is the flex in the tank, and therefore port ring, that is causing problems

BC, Water filter - yes. Thats why my glass doesn't have dead bugs in it. Thankfully it filters out much of it. But not all of it.

RSkeans, immunity builder, yes. Also, I supposed I can just tell my wife and kids they are a valuable protein supplement!

Cboss, Mmmm. Sterilized/Pasteurized bug gut juice sounds so much better! I'm not worried about the health issue too much. I've eaten a lot worse. But the disinfecting/sterilization was what I was trying to accomplish by putting in the port access. With that I could then easily sanitize the tank & system by dropping in concentrated hypochlorite tablets I have. I hadn't done it yet as I've hardly had a opportunity to use the thing this first year.

rsdata, yup, that's pretty much what we've decided too. Bottled water for us. Besides, it's nice and cold from the fridge.

slowride, The brita idea is ok but it is just another filter. It will keep out the bug body parts like wings and legs from being in your glass of water but the decomposing bug juices still come through most filters. Except maybe reverse osmosis types and maybe some of the ceramic types.

emm-dee, I believe you. But for a 1 year old, barely used RV, I thought it moderately disgusting. I'd imagine folks with a few year old units that live in higher critter population areas, have a lot worse in their tanks.

Delco, We don't have an anderson valve. Nope, the critters are not from our well. I get some rust and sediment from well occasionally but we are lucky to have really good clean sweet water from a 400' deep well.

johndj, Ours didn't smell. Just tasted funny. Yup, bleach is great stuff. If only I could afford to sterilize it with single malt scotch. Then it would have a nice smokey petey aroma!

fourwheel, it might have sat empty at the repair places for a couple weeks. Not really sure as I didn't pay much attention to whether it came back with tanks drained. I just generally fill it anytime I noticed the water level low.

Jkoenig, I'll add that to my maintenance list. Although, hopefully cleaning out dead critters will not have to be a repeat task once I figure out how to keep them out.

For the 1/2" lines, I've ordered an inline screen from amazon.
For the 1-3/8" pipe, hooks idea of breathable foam sounds like a good start. But anyone know of a filter for the 1-3/8" line?
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #19

On marine water and holding tanks, they have a technique called spin welding for adding ports and fittings. Basically cut the hole, insert the fitting, attach mandrel with drill, put some pressure on it and spin till it melts together. I have watched it being done, pretty cool! There are some YouTube videos on the process.
rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #20
hhl

I have a rubber hose washer with screen on the end of the overflow fresh water tank pipe. Used it on my former rv also. Pushed it on to the end of the pipe. its a tight fit. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200907_121314.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	238597
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank