Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
Jim & Gerry

door handle -entry door broken?

i was opening the door, felt a positive pull, then a noise like a pop, and the door handle will not move either way. I entered the coach by the cab door and tried opening it from the inside. The handle wouldn't move. I locked/unlocked with the fob, but same results. I then manually locked/unlocked, same results.

The handle is stuck in the partially unengaged position, but will not open.

Any suggestions? I can't find a book on it.

Thanks, Gerry
Jeep Renegade
MovnOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:02 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovnOn View Post
i was opening the door, felt a positive pull, then a noise like a pop, and the door handle will not move either way. I entered the coach by the cab door and tried opening it from the inside. The handle wouldn't move. I locked/unlocked with the fob, but same results. I then manually locked/unlocked, same results.

The handle is stuck in the partially unengaged position, but will not open.

Any suggestions? I can't find a book on it.

Thanks, Gerry
If yours is anything like my door latch, the mechanism that actually moves to allow you to open the door has broken. You pull on the handle, but inside is a slider that is sometimes made of “white metal”. They break if the conditions are right. Cannot be fixed.

From the inside and along the edge of the door frame there are screws to remove the entire assembly like shown in my photo attached. Does your door look anything like these? Pictures help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BDD1385A-3A16-4977-846E-F3595FEABFF5.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	281394  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovnOn View Post
I entered the coach by the cab door and tried opening it from the inside.

Makes me glad we have a Super C with cab doors. If this happened on a Class A, how do you get inside without breaking a window?
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:43 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
Makes me glad we have a Super C with cab doors. If this happened on a Class A, how do you get inside without breaking a window?
I was able to gain access without Class C in the exact same method.
However…..there is a way to provide a backup in a Class A that I used for the 10 years we had our Class A, without breaking a window. It just depends on how secure you feel you need to have your rig.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
Jim & Gerry

Resolved

I really don't know but, this is what happened. First I prayed, then I pushed the handle to the closed position (it had been stuck with the handle open.). Then, using the keypad I locked, unlocked a couple of times.

Then, crawling into the RV through the cab door (I am not tall enough for those steps). I locked, unlocked the door from the inside. Tried the handle from the inside and it opened. My son-in-law came over, took it apart and found nothing wrong.

Speculation: When I tried to open the door from the outside and it stuck in place, apparently the lever jumped off the spring plate inside the door and would not move. When SIL put it back together, he made sure the screws were tight. Possibility that screws were not holding plate tightly and allowed it to move slightly out of place.

But, happy now, the door works! Thanks everyone....
Jeep Renegade
MovnOn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door