Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2023, 09:25 PM   #1

Drivers seat is off center

After a couple of years of painful driving, I’ve realized the drivers seat is 4” to the right of center of the steering wheel. This causes a spinal twist and burning pain in the shoulder blade after driving for more than 30 minutes. I finally figured out on our nice trip to Guadalupe Mountain NP last weekend that if I primarily just grip the right side of the steering wheel, I can minimize the twisting pain. The other result of the off center seat is that my left arm doesn’t reach the door arm rest and there is not an armrest on the seat. Do others have this problem? Can the seat be moved? Thanks. 2016 Dynamax REV 24’
ABQRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:13 AM   #2
Commercial Member

This is the first I have heard this since I started in 2015. We don't do anything with the seat in a Promaster, so that may be a question for Dodge/Ram/FAC/Stellantis.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:37 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQRV View Post
After a couple of years of painful driving, I’ve realized the drivers seat is 4” to the right of center of the steering wheel. This causes a spinal twist and burning pain in the shoulder blade after driving for more than 30 minutes. I finally figured out on our nice trip to Guadalupe Mountain NP last weekend that if I primarily just grip the right side of the steering wheel, I can minimize the twisting pain. The other result of the off center seat is that my left arm doesn’t reach the door arm rest and there is not an armrest on the seat. Do others have this problem? Can the seat be moved? Thanks. 2016 Dynamax REV 24’
I had heard this report several times in the Class A forums, but never from cutaway chassis owners. In Class A platforms, the RV industry does the seat installs, typically, not the chassis manufacturer.

Are you the original owner of your rig?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:07 AM   #4

No, I am not the original owner. As far as I know, I’m the second owner via a trade-in through a dealer in Amarillo.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:25 AM   #5

Can you tell me who/what is Stellantis? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:47 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Google can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellantis

They are now Ram/Dodge/Chrysler

Old 03-28-2023, 09:53 AM   #7

Does your steering wheel appear to be perpendicular (square) to the seat? I've see trucks where the steering column is at an angle where it comes through the firewall. Could you look under the hood and see if the steering column goes straight to the dash or is it at an angle?

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 12:57 PM   #8

Is there room at the left side between seat and door? If so, pull back the floormats and see if the seat has been relocated. Maybe you can just move it back to the original position.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
This is the first I have heard this since I started in 2015. We don't do anything with the seat in a Promaster, so that may be a question for Dodge/Ram/FAC/Stellantis.
Brian, Do the ProMasters come with swivel seats as original equipment from RAM? Our original seat is centered in our 2015.

It's possible that the seat was replaced by a former owner. I've seen posts in the past where people thought the seats were uncomfortable and they were looking for replacements. The original seats are a bit 'firm'.

ABQRV, can you find any identifying labels on that seat? I think ours has an armrest on our 2015, but the rig is in storage right now, so I can't check.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:42 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Yes, they swiveled from Ram

Old 03-28-2023, 08:05 PM   #11

I've seen this in several vehicles, so its not specific to your rig. Not 4" off center, but 1-2" maybe

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:42 AM   #12

Thanks for the great input. I did some further assessment. First I exaggerated - the offset is more like 2”. The steering wheel does in fact come out of the floor at an angle and then has a coupling that moves it to the left, away from the brake pedal. Regardless, it is where it is and there is no leeway on the dash to move it over. I didn’t see a label on the seat but took a picture of the limiting factor that would keep me from moving the seat to the left. The emergency brake is on the left. It’s a integral part of the seat frame and it’s right up against the door frame. I don’t see many good options unless there is a completely different seat style that is available. That would include some way to move the brake to the right side of the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1AF0F191-0D38-4175-B825-AFDE84DA9BF4.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	285219   Click image for larger version

Name:	06271935-F209-490A-908D-B5C9D916652C.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	285220  
Old 04-19-2023, 09:49 PM   #13

I am in the process of catching up my reading in this forum. I didn’t see this until tonight.

Is it possible for you to post a photo of the entire seat? Then we see if it OEM.

I tried to find replacement seats years ago but could only find one company in CA that supposedly offered a replacement. I chose to not drive 3,000 miles each way to confirm they would fit.

There is another company near Philadelphia that says they can replace the seats but when I wanted them to confirm I didn’t hear back. That company was only an hour drive from my previous home.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote