Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #21

DX 3 Cummins Diagnosis

I have added the pdf manual for Allison transmission Shift Selector.

Allison Automatic 5th_gen.pdf
bkballard3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #22
Commercial Member

sad part is I tried to get a digital copy of this and the cummins manual. They wouldn't give me one. They only make them available digitally in some online library that they mail you a code to on registration.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
We switch into "performance" (mode) rig will downshift faster on hills, alot less lugging
Old 09-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #24

What feedback do you get when it is in Performance Mode?
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #25

Update

Update after Allison tranny update:
So the transmission was set to Econ mode as the default and the performance mode is accessed via the mode button. This was reversed by Corey. Climbing grades towing is noticeably better and has nearly eliminated the “miss” or cough. I do detect it if the engine happens to pass through the rpm range (1100-1200). But it has mostly eliminated the miss. I still have a hard time that this miss cannot be detected via an engine code. I am going to purchase a code reader to confirm this or try a different cummins dealer. I don’t believe this engine should ever do this except for a problem of some sort. Hope this helps if someone has experience with this or solution please let us know. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2017, 06:24 PM   #26

Climbing in performance is better?
Old 10-31-2017, 06:32 PM   #27

Yes it is, shifting occurs sooner and keeps speed up when climbing hills. Seems most are programmed to economy mode as the default. If you utilize the mode button, you should get the performance mode and the better grade performance.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:51 PM   #28

I had read that econo mode is default. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:56 PM   #29

this is a pretty good take from the RV Diesel Club about the mode button

http://forum.dieselrvclub.org/index....ic,6634.0.html
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:46 AM   #30

One thing I did note on Freightliner Programming, the actual quotes for HP and TQ cannot be achieved in manual mode, what I mean is the engine will actually deliver those claimed numbers ONLY when Cruise Control is engaged...it will pull better and shift better with Cruise Control on...when off the computer protects the engine and tranny from abuse...

And yes when I read that about light on is economy mode I kinda shook my head, someone was confused for sure...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #31

The Allison TRV 3200 Auto Tranny starts off in second gear on the Freightliner M2 106 Sportchassis IF the Tow Mode Light is NOT lit...if you activate Tow Mode and the light is lit up, then it will start off in First Gear each time shifting to second shortly after...

The TRV 3200 is a double overdrive tranny meaning 5th and 6th are both overdrives...

Mine had the high capacity tranny filters which require changing at 75,000 miles, easy to do on your own with a couple gallons synthetic trans fluid from Allison...
Old 11-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #32
Commercial Member

I think I just confirmed this with my rep...but now I can't find my notes.

Dynamax is set to.....
Default should be performance mode. If you hit MODE, it starts in 2nd gear until you turn off the key, then it defaults back to performance.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogq View Post
Just thinking out loud... at low rpm, under a heavy load, the rack may be opened, and a fuel rich condition present in the exhaust stream. An air leak anywhere in the exhaust system especially near the down pipe, would result in the potential for explosions, like mini-backfires. I would look for a loose clamp, corrosion, or any source for an air leak in the exhaust pipe or near the turbo housing.
On this new of an engine, truck, it has sensors that detect the slightest exhaust leaks. Also, no rack on cummins. That's detroits claim to fame. Everything is controlled by the ecm.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I think I just confirmed this with my rep...but now I can't find my notes.

Dynamax is set to.....
Default should be performance mode. If you hit MODE, it starts in 2nd gear until you turn off the key, then it defaults back to performance.
That would make complete sense IF they did set it up this way due to the weight of the Dynamax C Class...

This would be excellent info if you could confirm this Brian, of course someone driving one could check and confirm easily...
Old 11-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #35

My observations are that it does start in Performance Mode. It drops down to 5th very easy on grades. I don't believe Eco Mode does that.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
My observations are that it does start in Performance Mode. It drops down to 5th very easy on grades. I don't believe Eco Mode does that.
Really easy way to tell is from a standing start and noting shift point from 1st to 2nd...if it shifts quickly after taking off it is in Trailer Tow Mode, if it takes a bit to shift then it is in economy mode...I.E. stop and take off with light off, if it shifts quickly it is in performance...stop again and take off with Light On and if it takes a bit longer to shift than thats economy mode and it is taking off in second gear...
Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #37
Commercial Member

I found my notes and that was confirmed

Old 11-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #38

Brian is correct. Our DX3 defaults to performance mode, it starts in 1st gear. In Mode 2 it starts off in 2nd gear and up shifts quickly.
JRM63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
On this new of an engine, truck, it has sensors that detect the slightest exhaust leaks. Also, no rack on cummins. That's detroits claim to fame. Everything is controlled by the ecm.

Earlier Cummins engines have racks, rack plugs, etc...
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:51 AM   #40

Thanks for all the confirmation folks and thanks Brian for confirming as well...good news for me, I would forget to switch to Tow Mode many times with the Sportchassis, so now I don't have to think about it, the XL will be in performance mode from the start...