RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-20-2020, 11:50 PM   #1

Dx3 37ts Bathroom wall removal

Has anyone considered removing the wall with the swing door? This would open it up and make a huge bathroom. There are already two pocket doors to divide up the coach. My husband suggested this as he is a pretty decent sized guy and would like the extra elbow room. It looks like itís pretty much just sitting on top of the tile and might need a couple trim pieces to finish it off if removed. Thoughts?

Also I havenít researched this but we have at least 6 broken tiles. Is it possible to replace them? Or are there other flooring options we could replace the floor with?
Jennabigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #2
Motorized GM

1. yes, it is possible to remove the wall as it is not load bearing. I do believe we did this for MOJO when he was here. You just have to be careful of any electrical. Once you pull the wall board (which is just brad nailed or stapled into place) you should have a good view.

2. Tile is replaceable. Video here.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #3

Thank you Brian, that’s what we suspected that the light switch would be the only difficulty we could foresee but still pretty easy at that.

Glad to hear the tile is replaceable. Do we order replacement tiles and grout from you or is there a direct source? I’ve never heard of that brand before so guessing it’s not available at homedepot. Thanks again!
Old 10-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
Motorized GM

Menard's actually carries it...not sure if our color. The company itself is out of business.

All Snap stone did was take tile (from other brands) and place it into a plastic tray and the trays snapped together. Just made it easy to install and the floor was floating. Then you grout from there.

I think we have a few back, but they are getting hard to find. The grout is just "bark" grout and we found another supplier on that.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 10-21-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Menard's actually carries it...not sure if our color. The company itself is out of business.

All Snap stone did was take tile (from other brands) and place it into a plastic tray and the trays snapped together. Just made it easy to install and the floor was floating. Then you grout from there.

I think we have a few back, but they are getting hard to find. The grout is just "bark" grout and we found another supplier on that.
Edit:
PS....sometimes, it might just be easiest to use a grinding wheel and make a new grout line where the crack is and grout it in depending on where it is at. The smaller the tile, the less noticeable.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Edit:
PS....sometimes, it might just be easiest to use a grinding wheel and make a new grout line where the crack is and grout it in depending on where it is at. The smaller the tile, the less noticeable.
Thanks I wish that was an option. Almost all of the broken ones are cracking in multiple directions. We live in Washington state however my husband goes back to Michigan for work sometimes so I’ll have him look at menards next trip.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #7

Quote:

Since they are out of business what do you put in the new Dx3’s? We would consider replacing the whole floor based on the amount of broken tiles. Only guessing it will continue to crack.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #8

If you remove wall please take before and after pics if you have time - I would live to see the end result
Old 10-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennabigblue View Post
Since they are out of business what do you put in the new Dx3ís? We would consider replacing the whole floor based on the amount of broken tiles. Only guessing it will continue to crack.
In most cases it does all crack. There might be a few stress points, or in some cases the tiles were not actually laid into the "snap stone" tray evenly, so walking on them they will crack eventually. Or if something is dropped, even if it does not crack then, it can often crack later.

But anyway, today we use an LVT from Shaw that has what is called Rigid Core. I would stay away from normal LVT as it shrinks and expands FAR too much for the extreme temps that RV's see. The stuff we use is about 1/2" thich and has crushed limestone in the core. It was the only stuff rated to put a screw in it and during testing (heated it, then froze it) it only move 1/32. Another 18" or 1/4" material they suggested shrank 3/16"....
Old 10-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #10

I can attest to the new LVT. We replaced our entire ceramic tile floor in our XL with the LVT Brian is referring to while it was at Dynamax for some warranty work. We love it. Many of our tiles were cracked.
We are currently staying in the North Carolina mountains with nighttime temperatures in the 30ís and 40ís. The LVT is significantly warmer on your feet in the middle of the night! Iím a big fan.
ďBreathe in, Breathe out, Move onĒ
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #11

Mojoe ....I hate to even ask this question but roughly what did that cost? I have my carpenter coming out on Friday to look at the wall removal project, might discuss the floor with him. I am planning a trip end of December from WA to AZ for two months so I need to know if I should live with it or got BIG! When they did your floor did they have to remove the slides or just cut up to the flooring underneath? I took it into a RV repair place and asked them and they quoted me a crazy high $$$$$.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpheifer View Post
If you remove wall please take before and after pics if you have time - I would live to see the end result
Will do!
Old 10-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
I can attest to the new LVT. We replaced our entire ceramic tile floor in our XL with the LVT Brian is referring to while it was at Dynamax for some warranty work. We love it. Many of our tiles were cracked.
We are currently staying in the North Carolina mountains with nighttime temperatures in the 30ís and 40ís. The LVT is significantly warmer on your feet in the middle of the night! Iím a big fan.
Brian mentioned you may have had the bathroom wall removed. Would you be willing to share a photo? I'd love to know how the factory finished it out for my contractor to look at. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #14

Dx3 37ts Bathroom wall removal

We did not have the wall removed, so I donít think I can help you much with cost estimates. The floor install was a bit involved. The LVT is not as thick as the tile. They had to put a sub floor in before the LVT to make it the same height. No slides were removed, but still a lot of work. Just me, but I wouldnít let anyone do it but the team at Dynamax.
ďBreathe in, Breathe out, Move onĒ
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #15
Motorized GM

Sorry. I had that wrong....it was Tom Christopher’s TS that we removed the wall.

Tags
bathroom, dx3, roo