Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #1

DX3 air leak down?

When y’all park your DX3, how long can you let it sit there before or loses air and has to pump up the system again?

It seems mine is leaking down sooner and sooner. When I first got it and would start it, it would take a minute to pump up after sitting for a few days.

Now it seems it leaks down in a few hours. I’m pretty sure I have a leak because yesterday when I left my DX outside, I came out in the morning and for the first time, I noticed the back wheels tucked under the wheel well.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
When y’all park your DX3, how long can you let it sit there before or loses air and has to pump up the system again?

It seems mine is leaking down sooner and sooner. When I first got it and would start it, it would take a minute to pump up after sitting for a few days.

Now it seems it leaks down in a few hours. I’m pretty sure I have a leak because yesterday when I left my DX outside, I came out in the morning and for the first time, I noticed the back wheels tucked under the wheel well.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark,
That was one thing I noticed about the Force when I walked around it was how low the hitch was to the ground. Rig was not started so sure it would raise once started but when your rig has been running what is the measurements and once the bags leak down what are the measurement differences?
Old 07-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

Over night it leaks a little down, 2 days and it has bottomed out.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:52 AM   #4

Not uncommon to have a leaking air bag, it has already happened to me,

had it repaired before the rally, but looks like it is leaking again.

On my list for Freightliner on Tuesday.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #5

I had a module of the AMU (air management unit) leaking on mine. One way to determine where the leak is, is to look at the pressure gauge after the leak down has occurred. If the gauge is lower than about 50 psi then you have a leak in the air system. It should take a couple of days to leak below 50. If the coach has dropped down and the gauge is above 50, then the leak is in the bags, tubing connectors, or leveling system.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
jkoenig24

My 2015 DX3-37RB stays tight for three days or more.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #7

I picked up ours a month ago and the one air tank will leak down in several hours - if I dump the rear suspension the air pressure will stay up for days, so I will have to have the air bags checked.
4DayJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #8

So what’s this mean? First time I noticed this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF7479F8-A521-4A2A-BC2E-8EA7F0EFE7C5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	181597  
Old 07-29-2018, 12:39 AM   #9

Quote:
So what’s this mean? First time I noticed this.
It means there is a leak from your secondary tank. Most likely an air bag or one of your brake chambers on the rear axle. Could also be a leak at the air line connections to the secondary tank.
memacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:34 AM   #10

When I got mine they would leak down overnight. Then someone on here mentioned that on the bottom of the tanks next to the rear wheels is the pressure release valves. If you put your finger up in them you can fill a little metal tip like the tip of a ball point pin. If you push on it it will release air. They say sometime the valve can get dirt and grim in it and cause a slow leak. Pushing on them and forcing air out and allow them to reseat fixed my problem. I now can go 4-7 days without them leaking out.
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #11

Because mine only has one air gauge (I have air ride but my brakes are hydraulic) I didn't consider that you have 2 separate gauges. I believe it means what memacon said above
Old 07-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #12

Thanks to all that replied. I'll check it tomorrow and see if I can see anything obvious. If not, I'll take it to the dealer.

Mark
Old 07-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #13

If you have one of these for manually draining water from your air tank they are notorious for getting trash under the diaphragm and leaking, it is just like a valve stem only easier to release air/water...they also catch any debris that was left in the air system as well as any rust coming form any lines or from the tank...I would check it first...this is an automatic schematic, but has the detailed schematic so you can see the diaphragm clearly, it's easy to take apart and clean while your air pressure is at zero psi...it will be at lowest point on one end of your air tank(s)...
http://www.plazafleetparts.com/uploa...stallation.pdf
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #14

Where is the air tank? I crawled underneath that thing today and sprayed foam glass cleaner on all the connections and nothing bubbled. I couldn't find the tank though.

Mark
Old 07-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #15

Either under drivers side behind fuel tank or possibly mounted in the front of the rear axle...this pdf shows anywhere from below rails to inside cab steps...
http://www.m-m-s.com/vocrefguide/m2/...m206airsys.pdf
Old 07-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #16

Mine is just in front of rear axle on passenger side and has two of these, one on each end of tank, both are manual dump, meaning you have to crawl your fat ar$e under the truck to dump water from the tank itself...one on the rear has a slow leak...I will disassemble both and clean them up once the air deflates again as it is in storage right now...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8576.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	181738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0897.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	181739  
Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Mine is just in front of rear axle on passenger side and has two of these, one on each end of tank, both are manual dump, meaning you have to crawl your fat ar$e under the truck to dump water from the tank itself...one on the rear has a slow leak...I will disassemble both and clean them up once the air deflates again as it is in storage right now...
I believe my tanks are attached to the bottom of the rear axle on both sides. They look like little 1/4 kegs? If so, I still need to check those.

Thanks,

Mark

PS. Where are you on your suspension issues?
Old 07-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #18

Quote:
I believe my tanks are attached to the bottom of the rear axle on both sides. They look like little 1/4 kegs? If so, I still need to check those.

Thanks,

Mark

Got Roadking Shocks ordered, be here in 6 weeks...finalized measurements and fitment today...

Working with Roadmaster on Rear Sway Bar fitment, Front Tracking Bar and Steering Stabilzer, going to order proper seat tomorrow as well...

Checked out driveshaft today, got some ideas on how to alleviate the vibration...
Old 07-31-2018, 01:35 PM   #19

Quote:

Thanks,

Mark

Mark - No, those are part of the brake system - you can see the rods going out. That's how they will open the brakes (called Caging) if they cannot get AIR to the system. I've attached a picture (thanks to Gareth for the underbody shots from the build!) of the underside of the RV.

If you look in the picture just in front of the rear axle are 2 long cylinders on the frame rails and those are the tanks. Look right next to the generator in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	March 12 pic 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	181865  
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Not uncommon to have a leaking air bag, it has already happened to me,

had it repaired before the rally, but looks like it is leaking again.

On my list for Freightliner on Tuesday.
Back from Freightliner today, and they repaired my problem

leaking drivers side air bag and bent mounting tab for suspension

leveling valve. MH is level now.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak