Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2022, 06:48 PM   #1

DX3 Apex Awning removal

So i need to fix a small roof leak right where the cap connects to the coach. Some new screws in the strip, dicor...no big deal, EXCEPT the care free apex awning is about 1/3 of an inch off the roof and i cant get in there to do it under the awning end.

I looked up removal of the awning, they make it look simple...loosen the 4 locking bolts on the brackets, slide it back and tilt up to release. Ive been out there with forklits, manlifts, 4 guys, and that sucker is stuck in the brackets..it wont budge.

Any suggestions?

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:36 PM   #2

I suspect after loosening the clamping bolts on all 4 mount plates that you will need to spray some PB Blaster on each, let it soak for awhile and then try to move the awning (which is near 200 lbs). the mounts are probably corroded to some extent.

Once you get it done a light coat of antisieze might be considered when remounting.

Keep us posted. I will be removing my carefree awning over the winter and replacing with a Girard unit. Already have the new Girard but not the time for working the project now.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
I suspect after loosening the clamping bolts on all 4 mount plates that you will need to spray some PB Blaster on each, let it soak for awhile and then try to move the awning (which is near 200 lbs). the mounts are probably corroded to some extent.

Once you get it done a light coat of antisieze might be considered when remounting.

Keep us posted. I will be removing my carefree awning over the winter and replacing with a Girard unit. Already have the new Girard but not the time for working the project now.

Tried that allready. Tried just about everything except a hammer. That sucker is on there.

—John
Old 08-14-2022, 02:24 PM   #4

Did you try extending it out with the fasteners loose? With the right number of helpers and equipment, I bet the extension and retraction out to perhaps +/- 4 feet will get it loosened.
Lubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubehead View Post
Did you try extending it out with the fasteners loose? With the right number of helpers and equipment, I bet the extension and retraction out to perhaps +/- 4 feet will get it loosened.

Now that is a good idea. If I extend it possibly I can get it loose. But, it’s got to slide left before you tilt it out so not sure it will. But I’ll try.

I tried hooking a strap to one side, throwing it over the coach, and hooking it to my forklift. I tugged a bit but that didn’t do it, it was shaking the whole coach.

—John
Old 08-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post

I looked up removal of the awning, they make it look simple...loosen the 4 locking bolts on the brackets, slide it back and tilt up to release. Ive been out there with forklits, manlifts, 4 guys, and that sucker is stuck in the brackets..it wont budge.

Any suggestions?

--John
When you Slide it back are you going towards the center of the MH?
Old 08-17-2022, 02:35 PM   #7

Yes, if you look at the diagram, thats how it works:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 1.34.27 PM.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	277959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 1.34.46 PM.png
Views:	34
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	277960  
Old 08-17-2022, 03:26 PM   #8

I had to ask

How far have you unscrewed the clamping bolts?

4 mount plates x 3 or 4 bolts each 12 - 16 bolts.

From memory --- carefree library is down for manual lookups
Old 08-17-2022, 06:00 PM   #9

95%, there is no tension on the bolts, so its not hitting them. The bolts can jiggle around, so thats not it.

Looking from the side i can see exactly what the diagram shows, its just not coming free. Will try tomorrow, need to bring it outside to do this.

--John
Old 08-20-2022, 08:16 PM   #10

I got it. Basically went up on the manlift, had a friend extend it a bit, and place a forlift under in case it broke free. Then, with a lump hammer and a 2x4, I pounded on the 1/4" aluminum plate on the front end of the awning. Once that end came free i did the same on the rear, then the entire thing was loose.

You will not damage the awning doing this, the end plates are very strong.

I HIGHLY recommend you do not attempt to remove the awning without at least 1 man lift. Preferably 1 man lift and one forklift.

Rent a man lift at home depot, you will be glad you did.

--John

Tags
awning, dx3