Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2022, 03:00 PM   #1

DX3 ceiling drooping

Our 2016 DX3 37TS ceiling has a spot between the drivers slide and front air conditioner that is dropping. We think it has become detached from the roofing somehow. It’s only one spot. The slide actually rubs when bringing it in or out. That’s how we discovered this. There is NO water leakage. It just drops from this one spot.

Has anyone experienced this? We have never had this happen in any other coach. Not sure what the remedy is or even how to get to that space to evaluate. Will the roof or ceiling need to be replaced?
Ladytj1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladytj1754 View Post
Our 2016 DX3 37TS ceiling has a spot between the drivers slide and front air conditioner that is dropping. We think it has become detached from the roofing somehow. It’s only one spot. The slide actually rubs when bringing it in or out. That’s how we discovered this. There is NO water leakage. It just drops from this one spot.

Has anyone experienced this? We have never had this happen in any other coach. Not sure what the remedy is or even how to get to that space to evaluate. Will the roof or ceiling need to be replaced?

Im sure Brian will chime in here, but ...... A friend of mine had this happen on his non-dynamax coach, it was just the thin vinyl material separating from the wood backer. What we did was slice a small 3" long cut in the center of the dropping vinyl, put some spray adhesive in there, then pushed it back up. We were very careful to align the cut perfectly, so you can barley notice it.

What i would do though is to be sure the dropping isnt due to water getting in....my friends was not. If its water, you have bigger issues to deal with.

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:54 PM   #3

You may want to check the panel screws for the ceiling.

not knowing where it is exactly drooping. Those decorative stripes on the ceiling hide the screws that hold up the panels.

If it is in the center of a panel then what John says would be an option.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
Im sure Brian will chime in here, but ...... A friend of mine had this happen on his non-dynamax coach, it was just the thin vinyl material separating from the wood backer. What we did was slice a small 3" long cut in the center of the dropping vinyl, put some spray adhesive in there, then pushed it back up. We were very careful to align the cut perfectly, so you can barley notice it.

What i would do though is to be sure the dropping isnt due to water getting in....my friends was not. If its water, you have bigger issues to deal with.

--John
Thanks, John. Our drooping is stiffer than just vinyl separating from wood backer, unfortunately. But, fortunately, no water. We also have the service Manager from Van City in Colorado Springs looking into it while we are in WA. Will follow up when we get back to Colorado or before if he gets an answer from Forest River. Perhaps Brian also has some input as well.

We just hope remains in the one spot and the whole ceiling does start coming undone!
Old 02-23-2022, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
You may want to check the panel screws for the ceiling.

not knowing where it is exactly drooping. Those decorative stripes on the ceiling hide the screws that hold up the panels.

If it is in the center of a panel then what John says would be an option.
Thanks! We can certainly look at that as well.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:59 AM   #6
Commercial Member

We don't actually screw the ceilings.

The ceiling panels lay down on the table first. The aluminum rafter system is then laied on top of that and we use glue/foam to adhere the rafter to the backside of the ceiling panels. Trim just covers the seam. If a repair is done, we might screw them on, but not normally.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We don't actually screw the ceilings.

The ceiling panels lay down on the table first. The aluminum rafter system is then laied on top of that and we use glue/foam to adhere the rafter to the backside of the ceiling panels. Trim just covers the seam. If a repair is done, we might screw them on, but not normally.

Thanks, Brian. Sounds like the adhesive has failed in that one spot. Now, to figure out how to re-attach without taking the whole ceiling down. I just hope the rest of the ceiling doesn’t come unglued too!
Old 02-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #8
Commercial Member

It depends on where it is at. At the front bunk....that ceiling is screwed as it is put on after the main ceiling. The main ceilings is "soft touch" the bunk ceiling is not.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
It depends on where it is at. At the front bunk....that ceiling is screwed as it is put on after the main ceiling. The main ceilings is "soft touch" the bunk ceiling is not.
We have the 37TS. The drooping is located between the driver’s slide and the air conditioner. I have a video, but I don’t know if I am able to post it. I’ll look and post here, if I can.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladytj1754 View Post
We have the 37TS. The drooping is located between the driver’s slide and the air conditioner. I have a video, but I don’t know if I am able to post it. I’ll look and post here, if I can.
I am unable to post a video showing the drooping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A4667321-5837-4AB0-90E3-8ADED6BB0EEE.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	269264  
Old 02-24-2022, 11:24 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Fixed the picture. If you can push up on it and it gives a little...it might have just broken loose from the rafter. If you pull the trim off (It just snaps in). You might be able to push it up and put some pin nails in it that would go into the aluminum rafter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A4667321-5837-4AB0-90E3-8ADED6BB0EEE.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	269265  

Tags
dx3, roo