Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

DX3 dinette table too high

We find that the dinette table is a bit high. We are all fairly tall but it seems like the table is chest high and would be more comfortable if it were 3-4 inches lower. I need to get a measurement and see how everyone's height is. Has anyone lowered it? Dealer said it might be possible with some fabrication.
viperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #2

Same exact thing with ours. Needs to be about 4" lower.

Haven't dove into the modification yet. Interested in responses.
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
Commercial Member

viperdave....you're supposed to be lurking and not creating more work for me

This is something I have been looking in to. I think it is actually a combination of things.

1. The dream dinette is designed for a certain geometry. From floor to table height. However if there is wiring that runs along the wall, (wire chase) the mechanism gets set 1.5-2"" higher. That in an of itself is not a huge deal.
2. The dinette is a "sprung" system from our supplier. I think it may sit "too soft" so your normal 18" seat height, becomes more like 16".

Add those two things together and you get a table that is 4" too tall.

Just as an FYI. 30" is standard table height. Standard seat height is 17"-19", we assume 18" is ideal.

I was around when the Dream dinette got designed. We had a similar issue where the table height due to wire chase was too high. they came out with a modified geometry that set the table 2" lower, for situations when it had to be set higher. While I recall this situation 8 years ago, the supplier has been less than helpful in responding to this issue.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
Commercial Member

On a side note, you can adjust the lock...relocate it, so that the table stops...not at the top, but somewhere slightly lower. It has to do with the metal arm that fits into the white nylon block/stop.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
On a side note, you can adjust the lock...relocate it, so that the table stops...not at the top, but somewhere slightly lower. It has to do with the metal arm that fits into the white nylon block/stop.
That's more or less what I intended on doing when I got around to it.

That or just sit on phone books like the old days
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #6
Commercial Member

The phone book sounds like a good idea. You can find them on just about every street corner. We shipped them there just for cases like this.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

bc - sorry to be a pain...but your involvement in the forum will only make your product better and the owners happier.

I can totally understand how the table height could rise with the issue between the wire chase and a softer cushion and I will not just redrill into the wall to make sure I stay away from the wires. I'll look at your other suggestion to see if I can just make a stop at a lower height.

Thanks for the replies!

Dave
Old 06-10-2016, 11:24 PM   #8

I finally sat in our tonight and it's just as described. You really sink into the cushions. Think I might board up the bottom of the seat and get some stiffer foam.

2 RV Trips to date
19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #9

I cut off I believe 4",,, just be sure you cut the top,,,
and not the beveled end !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #10

I also cut mine down . Lowered the table to be even with the window. I put a strip of L Channel along the wall at the bottom of the window, just low enough that when the table top rest on it it ends up even with the window frame. This will give you also about 4 in more walk way. Then I removed the rear pedestal and brought the outside one further out towards the walk way. Now I only have one table leg to kick instead of two, I also do not put the table down for a bed, Just the Two of us, Oh ye don't forget to trim the pedestal down to the same height, take some off each end so it still fits in the mounts,.
Bill340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #11

1/2 way there. Not sure why they felt the need to design these like a 70's Buick. Much firmer now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1465700319.061856.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	110866

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1465700444.544288.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	110869

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1465700462.446615.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	110871
Looks like it was sewed on a Friday.

2 RV Trips to date
19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD
Old 06-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdave View Post
bc - sorry to be a pain...but your involvement in the forum will only make your product better and the owners happier.

I can totally understand how the table height could rise with the issue between the wire chase and a softer cushion and I will not just redrill into the wall to make sure I stay away from the wires. I'll look at your other suggestion to see if I can just make a stop at a lower height.

Thanks for the replies!

Dave
I am currently installing the Dream Dinette Mechanism. My wife didn't like how high it was and wanted it 2-3 inches lower so a quick but permanent fix was I pushed down the table to the point where the height was to her satisfaction, marked that point on the bottom of the table and mounted the guide up to that point. I drilled a hole in the guide, back the length of the nylon slide and put a bolt through it to stop the nylon slide from traveling any further in the guide.

Now the table rises until the nylon slide hits the bolt and stops. A flip of the manual bar lock and the nylon slide is now sandwiched between the bolt and the manual bar lock.

Problem solved.

@bclemens: If the guide came with a preset hole the proper distance behind the lock grove and a bolt. It would make this mechanism much more versatile just by moving the guide forward to lower the maximum height of the table.
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #13

My table was high also. All I did was unlocked it lowered it to the height I liked. Leaving it at that height I went went under the table and marked the position of the slide unit in the track. I then drilled a 3/16 hole into which I inserted a bolt. Works great as the table can not go down lower. Then I turn the lock unit back on. That is behind the slide trapping the slide between it and the screw. The table can't lower or raise up in it's own. I have had no issues of it raising on it's own. Hopefully I can add a couple pictures of what I did.
RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #14

table mod pictures

Here are a couple pictures I hope go thru.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Table Slide 1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	110917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Slide 2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	110918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Slide3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	110919  
RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #15

Sorry I did not realize what type of table you guys were talking about !!!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #16

What thickness of plywood did you use? Thanks for the photos, I'll do this next.

I did a few measurements and I believe that bc is correct on how all of this happened. My table is about 31" and I sink down in the cushion to about 15". I found a little indent in the poly bracket that I used to click the factory catch rod into and this gives me a table height about 28". If I firm us the seat with plywood this might be ok. If not I planned to make a new notch in the rail and shorten the catch rod so that I have a table that moves the way it was designed without having to undo a bolt.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdave View Post
What thickness of plywood did you use? Thanks for the photos, I'll do this next.

3/4" Birch
Your welcome, it was super easy.

2 RV Trips to date
19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD
Old 06-15-2016, 07:00 AM   #18

Thanks again for the info, it is on my list of upgrades
Old 06-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Sorry I did not realize what type of table you guys were talking about !!!
I did not either, I was discussing the type in the 06 Dynaquest, the old style with the posts, same problem as the others just different fix,.
Bill340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill340 View Post
I did not either, I was discussing the type in the 06 Dynaquest, the old style with the posts, same problem as the others just different fix,.
Right On Bill !!!
Just get out the Hack Saw !!!
LOL !!!