Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
Jim & Gerry

Dx3 entry door will not open

Somewhere in West Texas, stopped for lunch; could not open the entry door. The fob appears to be able to lock/unlock from the inside but the door handle will not open the door.

Hubby and I went out the cab door to see if we could open it from the outside. The fob sounded as if it were locking/unlocking; but the handle wouldn’t open the door. Same results using the keypad—- locks/unlocks but handle doesn’t work.

Any suggestions? We are heading home to South Louisiana— no power in the area; much damage. Do not know if we could find a service tech ...

Thanks, Gerry and Jim
Jeep Renegade
MovnOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #2

Deadbolt?
rcraighughes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
Jim & Gerry

Tried the key on the outside, and could hear clicks— door handle will not work.
Jeep Renegade
Old 09-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #4

My ts has 2 locks both with keys, I’m sure you tried both locks
Old 09-02-2021, 02:02 PM   #5

Sometimes my door also sticks. Usually due to extreme heat/sun expanding the door inside of frame. Will work fine in evening after sun goes down. Don't know which way you are traveling but was the entry door facing west?
richer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #6
Jim & Gerry

Yes, tried both locks from inside and outside.

We are heading from Colorado to South Louisiana. Heading basically to the southeast. Door is mainly southward facing. Stayed in Amarillo last night; worked fine. Stopped for lunch in Childress; couldn’t get out! I’m not that tall; getting out cab door is an “adventure”!
Jeep Renegade
Old 09-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #7
Jim & Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by richer View Post
Sometimes my door also sticks. Usually due to extreme heat/sun expanding the door inside of frame. Will work fine in evening after sun goes down. Don't know which way you are traveling but was the entry door facing west?

Well, just stopped at a rest area south of Wichita Falls (100 degrees outside); but the door opened easily! So, guess it is the heat!

Thank you—-
Jeep Renegade
Old 09-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #8

Sounds like the coach was not parked on a level surface(twisted). Once you parked on a level surface the door was free again.
SheltonsDX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltonsDX3 View Post
Sounds like the coach was not parked on a level surface(twisted). Once you parked on a level surface the door was free again.
This thread was so helpful. I parked my new XL in my GarageMahal where surface is perfectly level but I could not open the coach door....first time problem. I found this post and decided to use the leveling system and that freed up the door!
Old 05-01-2022, 03:24 PM   #10

Glad you were able to get the door open. At least we class C owners can go out either cab door. I wonder what class A owners that only have one door would do?
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Glad you were able to get the door open. At least we class C owners can go out either cab door. I wonder what class A owners that only have one door would do?
They would be wise to have the leveling system available via their iPhone. Then they could rock the coach a bit from the outside. I found the app very useful for installing my Snap Pads an hour ago. Did two of them at a time and just used my iPhone to bring the rams down onto the soapy water pads. Easiest upgrade I will probably ever do!
Old 05-01-2022, 03:45 PM   #12
Steve & Linda M.

With a Class A this can be a exciting problem. I find that often if you give the door handle a good snap, the door will open. Probably not great for the lock, but it can resolve the momentary problem. It's often due to the door being tweaked just a bit. So level, or moving can also do the job. Never found heat to be a problem, but not saying it can't happen.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, dx3