Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #1

DX3 floor

My DX3BH has a soft floor in front of fridge. Anyone else? Does anyone know what the sub flooring is?
Dhall404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #2

Have the same problem with my Force HD 37TS
M T Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #3

We have some floor issues that are being looked at this week by NIRVC under a warranty claim. We have multiple tiles that have come loose, rock when walked on and many have actually cracked. We also have many areas where the grout has come out throughout the floor even in areas where the floor seems to be solid. I'm not sure what kind of grout is used but it seems like a solid traditional type like used in homes. I'm not a tile expert but it seems like some type of flexible type grout would be more suited to a motorhome application.

We'll learn more details tomorrow as the NIRVC folks get further into the job and advise on what they find...more to come.
2019 Jeep Wrangler
USN Veteran (USS Saipan, VAQ-34)
BellaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #4

I reviewed the 2018 thread on this floor topic. After reading that thread it seems we may have issues with an uneven floor as the root cause of the tile movement and grout issues. If I understood the Dynamax tile floor design it seems they use a tile/track system where the tile is adhered to a plastic substructure, then the plastic substructures are locked together with very little adhesive providing a type of floating floor which would be more resistant to cracking due to flexing, temp, vibration and normal use within a motorhome environment.

I had a chat with the NIRVC technician assigned to repair my coach and he asked us to come over and have a look at the situation. After looking at it myself, I did notice very little adhesive (if any) between the gray substructure and the coach plywood subfloor. I did notice areas were there was more adhesive and I suspect that was the factory installers trying to get the floor leveled but what was strange was they used a notched trowel instead of a flat trowel. Of course I'm speculating on why there is adhesive under some but not others but my educated guess is all I have (right now) without talking to an actual SME. If I'm correct, then it would be strange to use a notched trowel to try and level a floor. I also noticed what seemed to be flex in some parts of the subfloor. This needs to be further investigated. The floor should be solid and any point otherwise trouble will brew.

I also learned that in the past the factory may have overtightened some of the carriage bolts (not sure if they were for the slides or other purpose) but the effect was to bow the floor in areas that could be problematic for the tile installers. All tricky stuff really and it might be best to consider just doing away with tile and go with a linoleum type floor for motorhome applications. Of course if the root cause is an issue with the stability and flatness of the subfloor, then of course that needs to be corrected regardless of the finished flooring or problems will just continue to arise as continued floor flex would just cause issues with probably any type of floor.

It's key to investigate, identify and verify root cause. Failure to do this process (Root Cause Corrective Action) properly, will continue the pain point. In my industry (Military Aerospace) we use Six Sigma Blackbelts to help us do this properly. They lead teams to ensure all the factors of potential root causes are identified (typically fishbone diagrams help) and investigated, then validated if a root cause (or causes) are identified. Sometimes the design, technology, tooling, materials and process are all fine but you find out the variable is the people. The loss of an SME, or lack of proper training and/or understanding.

The thing is these type of issues are challenging to sort out. They disappoint customers, negatively affect company margins, and can damage brand and customer perception and buying choices. What matters is addressing the issues properly and promptly so the customer experience is positive, and OEM's learn through continuous improvement allowing them to defend and grow market share.

I'll keep you posted as our RCCA unfolds...Cheers,
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-06-2021, 07:30 AM   #5

We had a few tiles crack. They are a floating system. I cut out the cracked tile, leveled the wood floor over the carriage bolts and glued the new tile down. I expect to fix grout every once in a whole do to vibration and road conditions. So far so good with the repair.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:11 AM   #6

What has changed over the years with tile in rvs? I've had ceramic tile in a couple motor homes in the past and never had any problems with tile or grout. I was racing back then and pulling large enclosed trailers and generally abusing the coach on rough roads and driving the crap out of it.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #7

No forward progress on my coach today. The NIRVC folks reached out to Dynamax yesterday and again this morning but haven't had a response yet.

Day 1: NIRVS tech starts floor fix, bigger issues identified, documented, and reached out to Dynamax to discuss it...

Day 2: Chasing Dynamax customer service team to discuss and align on path forward...
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #8

I have a 2015 dx3 - I had this problem - I had a local rv repair facility put some additional bracing in and the problem is 95% gone - cost me 350 - well worth it not to shimmy under the coach!
Old 04-07-2021, 11:14 PM   #9

Day 3: NIRVC now coordinating with Dynamax on expanding the warranty repair authorization to cover the entire floor tile replacement, structurally reinforcing the flexing (weak) spots, and replacing some of the subfloor sections due to water damage from failed kitchen sink drain pipes.

So, this means the following:
1. Remove all tile from floor (also need to get more tile from Dynamax now).
2. Remove and replace water damaged sections. (this will likely include removal of the kitchen lower cabinets and maybe the fridge and cabinet). Of course inside of the cabinets are all the electrical, plumbing, aquahot fans/hoses, etc.)
3. Remove carpeting and warped wood from under kitchen cabinet.
4. Add structural support where needed under chassis floor (welding likely)
5. Remove and replace rusted lag bolts.
6. Fill in floor voids to ensure it's level and prep for tile.
7. Install new tile and grout.
8. Reinstall cabinets and connect all electrical and repair plumbing systems to correct for short drain pipes.
9. Test and verify everything is good to go.
10. Call owner and walk through completed work.

Previously we had a situation where the drain pipes came loose (a couple of times) due to the sections leading to the main drain (from the kitchen sink drains) being too short (they use only a friction fitting to the main drain) and dislodging causing major water leak and floor damage (including under the tile system, which I was unaware of until they removed a few tiles). The floor to chassis lag bolts are also heavily rusted and will likely also need to be replaced.

Unfortunately this has now become a very big job that needs additional justification and approval. Funny thing is the Forest River System is showing our coach as "out of warranty" as of April 2020. For some reason they don't have the right date in the system. We purchased it on April 13, 2019 so the Dynamax house 2 year warranty should be good through 2021. Frustrating as the NIRVC warranty coordinator must now convince the system our coach is actually still under warranty. I'm sure all will be okay, but all these issues take time to sort out and that translates into delays to getting it repaired.

I"m also just a bit anxious because as more items need to be removed to fix the issues, it just begs for other issues (e.g. our friend murphy lurks) to occur.

I pretty much interrogated (nicely) the lead technician who is responsible for the work. He is very knowledgeable and has experience in motorhome production manufacturing in mechanical, structural, electrical and plumbing systems. So, knowledge = check, ability to apply that knowledge with acceptable workmanship = ? (only time will tell).

Hopefully it will all turn out well without minimal new issues arising from this big job and the workmanship will be acceptable. I usually do repairs and upgrades myself so I know they are done correctly.

I'm hopeful tomorrow will be a day of better progress on the warranty approval front and we get some sort of time frame for all this to be completed. Our plan is to attend the East Coast owners gathering...shouldn't take that long but with the pandemic disruptions to the supply chain and transportation industries risks of delay are high.

Cheers,
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #10

Thanks for the update. I cant find tile anywhere, I guess its time to call Dynamax and hope they still have some. Dont want to replace whole floor.
Dhall404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:25 PM   #11

Well, after consultation with the factory we are not going to get this repair done by NIRVC. Headed to the factory in June after the GA owners gathering...
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-11-2021, 08:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBee View Post
Well, after consultation with the factory we are not going to get this repair done by NIRVC. Headed to the factory in June after the GA owners gathering...

Good plan! They will do a great job.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #13

Taking it to the factory is a great plan. Greg and his crew are fantastic!

Thanks for your service from a fellow squid.

USS Conyngham DDG-17

Tags
dx3, floor