Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #1

DX3 grey tank vent issue

I have a 2015 DX3 36FK and am having a grey tank vent issue (I believe).

Two things are happening; one when I pull the handle to drain the grey tank the water doesn’t just flow out, it gulp/gulp/gulps down as if there’s no vent air in the tank. The black tank drains normally. And two, the washing machine burps in the shower drain while draining and at times would throw up error code indicating a drain restriction. I replaced the air admittance valve (AAV) under the bathroom vanity and the washer hasn’t thrown any error codes since but it still burps in the shower drain which is stinky.

Can someone tell me how the grey tank is vented? Is it only vented by the 2 AAV’s under each sink? Since there’s only one vent on the roof does it share the black tank vent? Mr. Clemens, would it be possible to get the plumbing drawings for my coach? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
DCRiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Commercial Member

I'll see what I can see....but the first place we aways suggest is to look on the roof at the vent, make sure it is not plugged.

As for the Air admittance valve...that would ONLY be for the sink that it serves. There will always be a gray tank vent. Sounds like make the water surface is hitting the vent (as in full) OR, if the coach is not perfectly level, it could be that a wet vent is filling with water. That can be an issue with RV's....we slope them based on code, but if the coach is not level, then the plumbing is not sloped properly.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Commercial Member

DCRiii,

We would be happy to assist you with this question regarding your grey tank vent. Please contact Dan Dobecki in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/DirectSe...76227119185727.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #4

When the installers are cutting the round holes, every once in awhile the cut piece falls into the tank and is not retrieved. This disc will lay flat or migrate to the outlet where it can not pass. Almost acts like a butterfly valve or it can completely block the flow. Just an idea.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_FR View Post
DCRiii,

We would be happy to assist you with this question regarding your grey tank vent. Please contact Dan Dobecki in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/DirectSe...76227119185727.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR and Mr. Clemens, I responded to the link above on 2/18 and have waited patiently for a response which has yet to come. Surprisingly my issue hasn't gone away on its own and I would very much appreciate some help. Is there someone I can call or email?

Thanks,
Don
Old 02-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Well...ES-FR is a company that scans social media for opportunities to help. As you can see from my response...I scour the Dynamax site quicker than they do.

As for response...I gave one. It was post #2 and have heard nothing back from that. Have you check the roof to see if there is something obstructing the vent pipe? I also replied, that there would be a vent NOT just an air admittance valve. I also mentioned slope and questioned if you were level at the time.

Also, here are the vent drawings. There is a vent stack, and maybe this will help you determine which way the coach should be leaning to help with drainage. If the front is low....then water could be sitting in all the drains. If anything, set the front a little high and see if that yields anything.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FRC_36FK_CODE DWGS.pdf (130.1 KB, 59 views)

Old 02-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #7

Seems to me that if there was a restriction up top the black tank would also not drain properly and it appears to drain correctly. Sure sounds like a restriction somewhere within the grey tank vent system (tie in).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Seems to me that if there was a restriction up top the black tank would also not drain properly and it appears to drain correctly. Sure sounds like a restriction somewhere within the grey tank vent system (tie in).
Agree...

Since the shower is not on the same line as the washing machine...it is likely that it is trying to draw air and the shower is the path of least resistance.

If the gray tank is full...the water level could be UP to the vent which would cap that off. See if it happens right after draining the gray tank.

ALSO, if the front of the coach is low water will collect at the area where the vent is.

The gray tank vent is at the deepest part of the gray tank.... I'd also test with the air admittance valve removed. The gray tank should be able to pull from either valve (assuming water is not standing in the line)

Old 02-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #9

I had a restriction one time on another coach concerning the vent. I tool a water hose ran it down the vent and flushed out the debris, what ever it was. Not sure you can use this method or not. It did work for me.

Slim
Old 02-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRiii View Post
ES_FR and Mr. Clemens, I responded to the link above on 2/18 and have waited patiently for a response which has yet to come. Surprisingly my issue hasn't gone away on its own and I would very much appreciate some help. Is there someone I can call or email?

Thanks,
Don
So, my people say they received the email on the 18th and that Colleen spoke with you on the 19th??? We updated the current owner data in our system as a result. She then emailed pictures and a print to you?

can you confirm that you received that and it did not go into a spam folder or something? I try to track emails that someones says are not received to see if we have an issue.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well...ES-FR is a company that scans social media for opportunities to help. As you can see from my response...I scour the Dynamax site quicker than they do.

As for response...I gave one. It was post #2 and have heard nothing back from that. Have you check the roof to see if there is something obstructing the vent pipe? I also replied, that there would be a vent NOT just an air admittance valve. I also mentioned slope and questioned if you were level at the time.

Also, here are the vent drawings. There is a vent stack, and maybe this will help you determine which way the coach should be leaning to help with drainage. If the front is low....then water could be sitting in all the drains. If anything, set the front a little high and see if that yields anything.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this but I’m on the road. I do appreciate your help Mr. Clemens and let me do my best to answer your questions.

As for if the coach is level it is. I’ll try to set the front higher at my next stop to see if it helps.

I have checked the roof vent and poured water down it to no effect. As I mentioned in my initial inquiry the black tank drains just fine. Now that I know the black and gray tanks share the roof vent, I’m inclined to agree with Bubbles that I might have a restriction between the grey tank and where it ties in with the combination vent pipe.

The burping occurs even when the gray tank is totally empty. We’ve never run the washer with the gray tank valve closed. Removing the air admittance valve had no effect.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
So, my people say they received the email on the 18th and that Colleen spoke with you on the 19th??? We updated the current owner data in our system as a result. She then emailed pictures and a print to you?

can you confirm that you received that and it did not go into a spam folder or something? I try to track emails that someones says are not received to see if we have an issue.
I went fishing in my spam folder and I DID receive an email from Colleen on the 19th. I never spoke with her however….

In her email she sent me the drainage drawing and a picture of a HEPO valve with the following statement:

“I have attached a picture of the print and the valve you will need. I spoke with the service manager and he stated that installing the HEPO valve (picture attached) under the shower will fix your issue.”

I’m uncertain if installing this valve will fix my problem. I believe the burping shower is an effect caused by a lack of vent air.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRiii View Post
I went fishing in my spam folder and I DID receive an email from Colleen on the 19th. I never spoke with her however….

In her email she sent me the drainage drawing and a picture of a HEPO valve with the following statement:

“I have attached a picture of the print and the valve you will need. I spoke with the service manager and he stated that installing the HEPO valve (picture attached) under the shower will fix your issue.”

I’m uncertain if installing this valve will fix my problem. I believe the burping shower is an effect caused by a lack of vent air.
That is true, however the HEPO valve eliminates the P-trap. So you would not really have air bubbles burping out. But certainly finding the obstruction would be the best case.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #14

You could call a plumber and let him send a camera up through the outlet.

Tags
dx3, tank, vent