Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2023, 08:59 PM   #1

DX3 moisture blow out of air tanks

Admittedly a rookie question here and I appreciate all of your knowledge. I have read about and seen on YouTube instructional videos about the need to blow moisture out of the air tanks each day before a trip. There are many how to videos on the Cascadia model. But nothing on the smaller M2 106. I’m just learning all the systems and want to be as precise as possible.

Anyone have any photos or videos showing where to find the lines to pull to drain out moisture? Do you agree on the need to blow the tanks out each day when traveling?

Thank you all.
wposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:30 PM   #2

If you are supposed to, it’s news to me. Didn’t do in the 3 years I owned my 2018, and haven’t done for the last 2 years in my 2021. We have an air dryer filter on our units that needs to be changed about every 2 years. I have done that.

I look forward to hearing from others, but no one has ever mentioned to me.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:31 AM   #3

Seems to me I read something about it in the Freightliner manual, but I am guilty of not doing it yet. Here's a previous post with some info, no specifics.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nk-223104.html
MAC D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:32 AM   #4

I'm under the impression the automatic dryer, the pssssst you hear periodically, takes care of the for you. That is at the bottom of the tank(s) and releases air, and moisture.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:02 AM   #5

The pssst you hear is the air dryer expelling moisture. It happens when your tank pressure reaches the setting on it usually around 120psi tank pressure should never go above 130psi.
The tanks should be drained periodically. On an RV that is only occasionally used probably at the end of your trip before storing for the next trip.
Over the road trucks drain tanks either end of day or end of week.

Regarding your air dryer filter. IMO not a bad idea to change once a year when you store for winter. Cheap insurance in keeping your air system dry.

Make sure you LIGHTY coat the threads on the air dryer with anti sieze. It has been known that some who have let it go for 2 or 3 years end up purchasing a complete unit because the threads have rusted and on removal break the connection point.

Just my thoughts
Old 06-01-2023, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
The pssst you hear is the air dryer expelling moisture. It happens when your tank pressure reaches the setting on it usually around 120psi tank pressure should never go above 130psi.

The tanks should be drained periodically. On an RV that is only occasionally used probably at the end of your trip before storing for the next trip.

Over the road trucks drain tanks either end of day or end of week.

Regarding your air dryer filter. IMO not a bad idea to change once a year when you store for winter. Cheap insurance in keeping your air system dry.

Make sure you LIGHTY coat the threads on the air dryer with anti sieze. It has been known that some who have let it go for 2 or 3 years end up purchasing a complete unit because the threads have rusted and on removal break the connection point.

Just my thoughts

How do I drain the tanks? Thank you
Old 06-02-2023, 07:26 AM   #7

Tanks are in front of the rear axle on M2. Some have a small pull ring, the rest have a square outlet with a thin metal nipple in the middle, you have to move the nipple to the side to release the air.

Here is a link to a picture of the valve. You can see the tiny part in the middle.

https://www.finditparts.com/products...hoCTnsQAvD_BwE
Old 06-02-2023, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
Tanks are in front of the rear axle on M2. Some have a small pull ring, the rest have a square outlet with a thin metal nipple in the middle, you have to move the nipple to the side to release the air.

Here is a link to a picture of the valve. You can see the tiny part in the middle.

https://www.finditparts.com/products...hoCTnsQAvD_BwE

Thank you
Old 06-03-2023, 04:46 PM   #9

I'm reading more and more that the automatic driers most all of us have, do the same thing as manual purging.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
I'm reading more and more that the automatic driers most all of us have, do the same thing as manual purging.

Not entirely true. The air driers dry the air going to the tanks. Some moisture will get through to the tanks. At end of a long trip, not a bad idea to drain tanks. It only takes a couple of minutes to do.

Tags
dx3, tank, tanks