Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #1

DX3 performance enhancements

I’ve put 3000 miles since I had the following upgrades on my ‘14 DX3 and I’m very pleased with all.
1) Safe T Steer
Before installation 65 mph was about the max I felt comfortable driving with both hands on the wheel. On my current trip I’ve been driving 75 mph very comfortably with one hand on the wheel ( speed limit in Wyoming and Montana is 80 mph)

2) Engine torque upgrade:
Had it reprogrammed from 1000 ft-lb to 1150 ft-lb. I can now pretty much maintain 55mph on a 6% grade. Before it was in the low 40s

3) Enabled engine compression break while using cruse control:
This was the least expensive, had it reprogrammed while checking other problem.
Of the three this is the most noticeable in driving comfort. I am driving through much the same mountain area I did last summer but it much more relaxing.
About the only time I have to use the brakes is going into a sharp curve.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

Good info and good to hear...it would be nice to be able to take a sip of coffee while driving for sure!
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:28 AM   #3

That’s good stuff.

I’ve finally got the recalibration worked out with the Cummins service center in Kenner...just got to get down there one morning

I’ve never paid that close attention to it, I guess, but I would sworn engine braking worked with cruise control on our coach...maybe not.

Safe travels!
Old 06-30-2018, 06:33 AM   #4

My engine break engages 5 mph above cruise setting. Makes for a nice window where you can coast a bit and conserve fuel on the shallower declines. I don’t use cruise in the big mountains
Old 06-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #5

DX3 performance enhancements

I don’t believe you’re using fuel with engine break engaged, at least not according to my scan gauge. I shows 99 mpg going downhill.
Mine is always engaged except when I press on the accelerator. Cruise with an active engine break works well in big mountains. Set it on 65 and it stays on 65, up and down, with some limitations on up.
I use cruise as much as possible or I will catch myself going faster than I want to.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
I don’t believe you’re using fuel with engine break engaged, at least not according to my scan gauge. I shows 99 mpg going downhill.
Mine is always engaged except when I press on the accelerator. Cruise with an active engine break works well in big mountains. Set it on 65 and it stays on 65, up and down, with some limitations on up.
I use cruise as much as possible or I will catch myself going faster than I want to.

Now Brian can use 99mpg in his Dynamax Marketing material. from 8mpg to 99mpg. LOL.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #7

I just mean by coasting a bit from say 70 to 75 you’re getting free speed from gravity that may help climb the next hill instead of fighting it with the engine brake
Old 06-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

My engine brake also comes on at 5 mph past the cruise set point.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #9

Interesting, I don’t believe my engine break came on at all while in cruse. The Cummins tech that enabled it said that there was no reason to disable that he knew of. Maybe Dmax had them change the programming on later models.
Mine is definitely big time improved. I like keeping a constant speed.
Lost 1 mpg going from 65 mph to 75 mph
Old 06-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
Now Brian can use 99mpg in his Dynamax Marketing material. from 8mpg to 99mpg. LOL.

I never did get with you to find out how you retain the overall average on your scan gauge. Mine starts from scratch every time t turn the ignition off. Might be a good thing, can see different mpg in different driving conditions.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
That’s good stuff.

I’ve finally got the recalibration worked out with the Cummins service center in Kenner...just got to get down there one morning

I’ve never paid that close attention to it, I guess, but I would sworn engine braking worked with cruise control on our coach...maybe not.

Safe travels!

There is a nice RV campground in Kenner, stay the night before and party in New Orleans :-).
Old 07-01-2018, 05:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
There is a nice RV campground in Kenner, stay the night before and party in New Orleans :-).
Did way too much of that in the past. These days, checking in with the service department mid-morning and catching an Uber to the quarter for a great lunch is way more our speed.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #13

For the torque calibration upgrade...

I've heard you can do it to the L9 not the ISL9. At some point they transitioned to L9? How can you tell if the unit has the motor that can be upgraded.

I'm guessing it needs to be a 2018, but these model years don't mean all that much (from what I have seen) how do you find out.
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #14

I believe the designation changed in 2017. The ones based on the 2013 design are referred to as ISL9’s, and the ones based on the 2017 design are L9’s.

Assuming I can successfully get mine recalibrated, there will be examples here of both versions.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
I believe the designation changed in 2017. The ones based on the 2013 design are referred to as ISL9’s, and the ones based on the 2017 design are L9’s.

Assuming I can successfully get mine recalibrated, there will be examples here of both versions.
SO it sounds like you are saying the ISL and L9 can both be re-calibrated for more torque by cummins....

Interestingly, the 2019 renegades seem to all be coming with the 1150tq rating. I could not get an answer form the Dynamax dealer on the 2019s. Not shocking as they seem to typically have no clue without making a call to the mfg.
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #16
Commercial Member

I'm sure the scan gauge is capped at 99...so I have to assume it would in theory get over 100mpg.

Or all I have to do is use the term "Legendary Fuel Economy". Then people will just assume it is 99mpg because I said "legendary" and be mad at me for anything less and point to that as proof that I said 99mpg.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #17
Consumer of Space

Dlfishing...

Please stop spending my money

Safe T Plus steering stabilizer ordered... Maybe it'll take the slight tail wag out of towing the truck behind the RV.

I'm going to look into the power upgrade on my force HD before going to Yellowstone in August. There goes another thousand between the two mods...
Old 07-02-2018, 11:10 PM   #18
Consumer of Space

Duplicate post
Old 07-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #19

Sconnors11
I don’t regret a nickel I spend on the enhancements, however it saddened me when I had to spend $900 to change out a valve in my DEF tank ( Freightliner warranty only good for 2 years) and almost cried when I had to change my water heater because of my own stupidity [emoji34][emoji24]
Old 07-03-2018, 10:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I'm sure the scan gauge is capped at 99...so I have to assume it would in theory get over 100mpg.

Or all I have to do is use the term "Legendary Fuel Economy". Then people will just assume it is 99mpg because I said "legendary" and be mad at me for anything less and point to that as proof that I said 99mpg.

I cited the 99 mpg from memory, not too good. Today I checked while going down a steep grade and it actually read 9999mpg.....even better for your advertising. :-)