Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
Hooker06

DX3 Sidewall Separation

Looking for any help on this issue! 2018 DX3 BH purchased in Jan 2018. 30K+ miles and used about 10 times. IMO and mind rig is still new! I discovered the front fiberglass cockpit enclosure (Overhead Cab Bunk) is separating from the PAX side sidewall (see pictures).
The pictures capture the separation of the sidewall and also show the front fiberglass body breaking away from the sidewall. Note the filler strip deforming and separating and distorting as it crosses the body seam.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1498.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	262341

Name:	IMG_1505.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	262342

Name:	IMG_1497 (1).jpg
Views:	178
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	262343

I just can't believe this is happening in such a new (relatively speaking) coach. Has anyone else experienced this. If so, did Forest River help with the problem or was this something you had to repair on your own? If so, how was it repaired.
My family has owned MH for years. My father did buy a 1984 Winnebago new and had sidewall delamination so bad that when he eventually sold it (instead of a worthless trade) he only got $3K for it. The rig was immaculate inside and everything worked!!
I have no desire to see my coach depreciate to that extent!! Any ideas/advice

P.S. Ihave no idea why my pictures always rotate 90*!!
hooker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:35 AM   #2

this sort of thing is usually caused by water penetration so I believe I would start at the top of the rig and figure where the water is entering and fix that first. I did read about something similar where the Mfg deemed it was lake of owner maintenance that caused the screws/bolts holding the side wall to rust and the wall to pull away. I wish I had better information for you. Keep in mind the longer you wait to fix the problem the worse it will more then likely get.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
Commercial Member

It's not really sidewall separation (in regards to what your father experienced on the Winnie). This is simply the cap, where it ties into the sidewall coming loose.

Two things can cause this...vibration, so the screws that hold down the metal trim that keeps the cap tight to the wall come loose. Leveling system. If the leveling system puts the front end into a bind, or the cab is allowed to hang (not blocked) which can flex the front end and stress that system. As the cap mold gets older it also does not fit as well as it used to.

Today, we have a redesigned cap that bolts together and attaches differently.

As for this, the repair is pretty simple. You can pull the plastic trim (screw cover) that covers the metal trim. That will expose the screw heads. You can run new screws in new holes or larger diameter in the old holes. I would also make sure that you hit backer...if they did not hit backer then the screws will back out easier.

You can always reach out to your service contact on our website. They might be able to get a little more "instructions" from Greg who is our service manger.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #4
Hooker06

hooker 06

Thanks BC! Your answer is re-assuring! I will definitely reach out to Greg for more information. One area of additional concern is the damage to the custom paintwork in this area of the coach. As you know these paint jobs are beautiful and the cranberry red is additionally expensive than the other colors! I don't see how to remove the plastic cover without paint damage. If you look in the picture the sealant and covering paint is already "tearing".
Old 09-07-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
Commercial Member

I "think" they can normally get the plastic off without damaging if they are careful.

Then, what we do today, is go over those seams in black. Mainly because the sealant will never not crack. We started doing this a few years back so that it does not need to be painted each and every time a seal is updated/repaired, etc. It would cover the areas that are already cracked.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
Hooker06

Sidewall Separation

Thanks again Brian! I sent an e-mail to the Service POC @ the Dynamax WEB. I should here something back soon.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #7

We are looking hard at the super c space.

How super c manufacturers transition from the sidewalls to the front cab is at the top of our list of questions. In my view, the sidewall and front cab transition is a weak point in all super c's. Just my opinion.

BC, the GM of Dynamax, uploaded some photos showing the sidewall and front cab transition. It seems like Dynamax has made some nice adjustments in improving the transition.

Having said this, I wonder...

Is the Newmar super c transition better in the long run? Then again, I haven't been able to actually "see" behind that giant gasket inside the coach.
rvfigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:18 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
We are looking hard at the super c space.

How super c manufacturers transition from the sidewalls to the front cab is at the top of our list of questions. In my view, the sidewall and front cab transition is a weak point in all super c's. Just my opinion.

BC, the GM of Dynamax, uploaded some photos showing the sidewall and front cab transition. It seems like Dynamax has made some nice adjustments in improving the transition.

Having said this, I wonder...

Is the Newmar super c transition better in the long run? Then again, I haven't been able to actually "see" behind that giant gasket inside the coach.
Theirs is a rubber boot around the gap so that it can be left as an air ride cab (even though it has air ride seats...so not sure why). Only time will tell if that will hold up.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #9

I have not driven or ridden in a Newmar, but have spoken to someone who did, and they said the air ride cab was pretty nice until things got really bumpy, or big, sharp-edged bumps. Apparently, there is a readily obtainable point where the air ride cab bottoms out very harshly, meaning you feel the jolt, and it is loud in the cab. Again, I did not witness this personally, just repeating what I was told.
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #10
Commercial Member

When a magazine did a review of the (3) main Super C's one of the reviewers said something similar and that it dog-tracked. This was the proto-type of course, so who knows what has been done since.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:34 PM   #11
Hooker06

BC ref the seam and where the cab is coming loose from the side wall--does Dynamax repair vehicles? The repair sounded easy. When I took the 2018 into the body shop here in Tampa @ the EOM Sep the GM thought the repair was something they could handle, however--he pointed to me a small area of about 8" X 10" right @ the seam that has started separating. His shop can't repair that and informed me I had to go back to the manufacturer for that repair. The wall separation starts right at the Cab sidewall seam and runs back about 10" tapering to a point. Do people bring coaches back to Dynamax tog get factory repairs completed (understand not necessarily warranty work). If so is ther a service Ph# to call? Thanks
Old 12-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #12
Commercial Member

If you take it to a dealer, we could advise on the repair. We have typically reserved the factory for warranty service only since dealers are so far out.
The trim just needs removed and new screws put in...making sure they hit backer.

You can always reach out to the service reps at the "Contact Us" page of our website.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #13
Hooker06

Wall separation

Does that include repair of the sidewall separation? Replacing screws and resetting trim strip wasn’t the problem dealer couldn’t address. It was the delaminating of the side wall starting at the cab separation. Does Dynamax have techs for that repair?
Old 12-27-2021, 03:05 PM   #14
Commercial Member

I do not see any sidewall delamination...at least in the picture.

Tags
dx3