Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 06:56 AM   #1

Dx3 toilet foot lever broke

The foot lever which opens and closes the toilet to flush is not working. When you press the foot lever the water comes on but the valve doesn't move. Any ideas or quick fixes? What toilet is in the 2019 DX3?

Thanks,
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:26 PM   #2

Same thing happened to me while on the road. I did a temporary by removing and putting in a low profile hand operated toilet because I could not find replacement parts and I needed to p**p
I am now home and looking into this.
Either the ball has broken or the drive link from the pedal has broken.

I think this all has happened because the last issue with the Thetford toilet was that it wouldn't hold water for the tank seal.
Several said in another forum to let it slam shut. This did work but now I have a broken ball/drive link.
Will be investigating this week.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
Same thing happened to me while on the road. I did a temporary by removing and putting in a low profile hand operated toilet because I could not find replacement parts and I needed to p**p
I am now home and looking into this.
Either the ball has broken or the drive link from the pedal has broken.

I think this all has happened because the last issue with the Thetford toilet was that it wouldn't hold water for the tank seal.
Several said in another forum to let it slam shut. This did work but now I have a broken ball/drive link.
Will be investigating this week.
That’s very interesting, mine has leaked (failed to hold water in the bowl) occasionally and I had previously cleaned the seal thoroughly and lubed it with Vaseline. That worked for a while but the problem eventually returns. I have noticed that allowing the ball to snap shut to quickly results in “overshoot” leaving a gap on the trailing edge. If I control the rate of closure carefully I can effect a seal... hard to do standing on one foot and using the other for a precision operation. I’ll be monitoring this thread to see if anyone identifies the cause or determines a resolution...😎
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
The foot lever which opens and closes the toilet to flush is not working. When you press the foot lever the water comes on but the valve doesn't move. Any ideas or quick fixes? What toilet is in the 2019 DX3?

Thanks,
If I recall correctly, it is a Thetford Aqua-Magic Plus with a china bowl. Either low or high (depending on floor plan). Low rise would be sitting on a platform

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #5

mine did that last year, so i purchased tow lever inserts, as that is what fails, took three days to get in locally.

everyone wants to sell a new toilet vice the parts
Old 06-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
Commercial Member

On another toilet I used when at Sunseeker (also Thetford), we had this issue more frequently. The "shaft" or axle for the lever was plastic. Interestingly enough, ALL the replacement kits, that shaft was brass. Of course they would not let us order the toilet with a bass shaft from the start. Haven't had that issue for a while now.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #7

According to Thetford the waste ball driver part # 42048 is bad. And of course they can't ship any parts due to Covid! Huh???????

How is it a 1/4 million dollar coach gets a Entry Level" toilet? Thetford's words not mine.

So how do I get this fixed by Thursday?
Old 06-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
Commercial Member

And since when is a porcelain bowl entry level?

But...there is prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Corp.../dp/B009E2YX9E

One review...

"Didn't have to remove the toilet as the instructions state. Just pop off the plastic foot pedal remove the one philips screw and pull out old piece and replace with new one!"

Old 06-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #9

Thanks, I ordered that. I hope that is all it is.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
And since when is a porcelain bowl entry level?

But...there is prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Corp.../dp/B009E2YX9E

One review...

"Didn't have to remove the toilet as the instructions state. Just pop off the plastic foot pedal remove the one philips screw and pull out old piece and replace with new one!"
Since it is a Thetford! It is not IF it will give you problems but how many and when. RV toilets have zero technology, so easy to replace and repair. Many people will not accept any RV with a Thetford. My last 3 units I put the Thetford in the trash and installed Dometic 320 before they were used.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Since it is a Thetford! It is not IF it will give you problems but how many and when. RV toilets have zero technology, so easy to replace and repair. Many people will not accept any RV with a Thetford. My last 3 units I put the Thetford in the trash and installed Dometic 320 before they were used.
Funny. I looked it up, to see if I was missing something

Very first review.

“ How good is it?What do you like best about it?Any Problems?Would you recommend it?
Un repairable.
8 months ago
I have a 2018 Newmar that came from factory with the 320 toilet. The coach has 6300 miles on it. Effectively new. The ball lever assembly pops out of the side opposite of the pedal pivot occasionally. This entails removing the seal, sticking your fingers on the ball lever and pulling up to reinstall pivot in toilet. This has happened twice now. There is no repair parts or procedure from Dometic. Their answer, purchase a new toilet. The Thetford Style II appears to be a very close replacement. They do list replacement ball lever parts. What a complete waste of resources and when this condition happens, the bowl does not seal. We all know how unpleasant that leaves the lavatory.”

Old 06-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #12

Well,

Investigation found that the ball was broken where it connects to the drive shaft. Unit is a 420055 model Thetford Style II Low Profile---OEM --- from the tag on the base.

Looked for replacements locally and 3 repair shops all stated that they have been out of those parts for more than a month with no eta on availability. I got the same answer while on the road and that is the reason I put in an entry level Aqua Magic V low profile for the interim.

BTW the Aqua Magic V does not correctly fit the DX3 configuration nor is it comfortable. But I needed toilet to continue our travel plan.

Anyway, same story when I got home --- repair parts not available ---
so go online to get a new toilet --- Aqua Magic Style II low profile in bone.
OUT of STOCK at Amazon.

Found one a model 420063 at Rocky Mountain RV with 1 week delivery.

I decided to replace this one due to multiple different issues with the OEM version.
Also, the DX3 uses a 9.5 inch center measure from back of base to outlet. Most of the RV toilets that I looked at both other Thetford and Dometic toilets have 10.5 inch center of outlet to back of base and the base on many is larger than the Style II base which will cause fitment issues. IMO

I am now waiting for it to arrive.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #13

Thanks to Thetford's recommendation I bought the waste ball driver/connector. I got it today and took it apart and low and behold it is the waste ball that is broke not the driver. ARGHHHHHH

This has been a frustrating time with the DX3. Refer went out with the first trip along with the leveling jack motor being bad. The 2nd trip the toilet failed and the awning wouldn't go out. Now the 3rd trip trying the get the toilet repaired! Have to make due with no refer until I can get it back to the dealer for a couple of weeks. I hope this is it for a while.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #14

Can't get the waste ball in time so drove out to Holman Motors in Cincinnati and they "let" me take the waste ball off there display toilet!

All fixed. Who do I send the warranty bill to?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
Can't get the waste ball in time so drove out to Holman Motors in Cincinnati and they "let" me take the waste ball off there display toilet!

All fixed. Who do I send the warranty bill to?

Thanks
Well, if it is still under warranty, send the bill to the service rep on the "Contact Us" page of our website. We have reimbursed for parts before. If it is not under warranty, well, then I think the people that need it already got it

Old 11-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #16

I found this post while looking for a new seal for our 2017 DX3 37BH (low profile). The main seal is starting to leak and need to replace it. Does anyone have the model number for the main seal? Think I am going to order a couple just to have a backup.
GunTotnHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunTotnHippie View Post
I found this post while looking for a new seal for our 2017 DX3 37BH (low profile). The main seal is starting to leak and need to replace it. Does anyone have the model number for the main seal? Think I am going to order a couple just to have a backup.

Don't know if Thetford has quality differences but having replaced the OEM version in my DX3, I have had zero issues with the retail version that I mentioned above. It does not leak at all. The one I had originally leaked from day 1. I replaced the seal twice with no success. Replaced the dang thing with retail version and have had no issues.

Just 2 cents here.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
Don't know if Thetford has quality differences but having replaced the OEM version in my DX3, I have had zero issues with the retail version that I mentioned above. It does not leak at all. The one I had originally leaked from day 1. I replaced the seal twice with no success. Replaced the dang thing with retail version and have had no issues.

Just 2 cents here.
Thank you. I saw the link but wasn't sure if that was the seal that you can see in the toilet. I assume thats what I am looking for right?
GunTotnHippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dx3