Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #1

DX3 vs Prevost

I need an UNBIASED feedback.
If you had to do it all over again,
Would you buy a used Prevost or a new DX3 at the same price point?
Ashlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

Might not be the right forum for unbiased feedback... just sayin...

But guess I'd need more details about how used this Prevost at the same price point is. I certainly wouldn't buy just because it was a Prevost.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #3

The same price point meaning (2000-2006) used Prevost H3-45 double slide vice a new DX3. Sorry for the lack of information. Trying to decide on my forever motorhome.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Commercial Member

This should be interesting.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #5

While the price of used buses have dropped dramatically over the years take this into consideration. They are very expensive to maintain and may very well need some upgrades along with repairs right off the bat. That would very depending on how many miles and how it was maintained by previous ower/owners. Hands down they ride waaaayyy better, the build is superior by comparison. I've owned buses and various motorhomes over a period of 30 plus years. If I had it to do over again, I'd choose the super Cs. Easier to work on, waaaayyy less expensive...unless your looking at Renegade or Showhauler. Dynamax is a good choice. It's what you want to spend. They can all put you in the poor house lol... if something serious happens. But for me super C
Old 03-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for your input.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #7

Totally unbiased opinion:

If your going to be doing a lot of driving, go with the Dynamax...or super C style. They rule the highway.

If your going to go somewhere, stay 6 months, drive somewhere else, then stay 6 months....the prevost would probably be the better choice.

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
Totally unbiased opinion:

If your going to go somewhere, stay 6 months, drive somewhere else, then stay 6 months....the prevost would probably be the better choice.

--John
I think your talking about a 5th wheel. One of my buses had a Detroit Series 60 500 HP and held 320 gallons of fuel 4000 Series Allison Trans. Bus @ 48-51k # it was made to travel constantly, and did. Buses are designed to travel a lot...

As I said earlier it was more costly to maintain than my DX3. It's really not a fair question. There is no comparison. All falls back on what you want to spend. Super C fits my needs. If ya buy a new DX3 you'll have a warranty, if you buy used you don't, and may inherent a big headache if ya don't know what to look for.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #9

I'll go with a new DX3 over a 15 year old bus for sure
Old 03-22-2021, 05:55 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards the DX3.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
I'll go with a new DX3 over a 15 year old bus for sure

Was that you last weekend on the side of i70 towing a jeep?

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #12

If you are thinking about a 40’ Marathon Prevost hands down the best coach I’ve ever had! The quality is second to none. However, the bus was nice for what I call “point to point destinations.” You leave home and drive to where you’ll be parked for a bit. The bus size was not great for back roads touring around and checking new places out.

Now I have a Dynamax 25’ and it’s nice because we wanted the small size for getting into smaller parks. We are pleased with it but after having a bus that was overbuilt we just need to have a different mindset. Overall we are happy with the Dynamax.
Matt Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:26 AM   #13

Thanks for the insight. There were so many things that I’ve never thought of that the Prevost owners don’t tell other RVers that is considering buying a Prevost.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:39 PM   #14
Viet Nam era Navy veteran

Attempt to compare dramatically different vehicles

I haven't read anyone mentioning safety.

Fury provides 8 feet of distance from the front bumper to the driver & passenger seat positions. In that space is a frame engineered by Freightliner to provide a strong foundation for the truck & deformation during a collision to protect the driver & other occupants. Between the frame rails behind the bumper is 3,000 pounds of Mercedes Benz engine & Allison transmission.

The Freightliner driver & passenger sit very high above common traffic which adds a certain amount of distance from many types of collisions. The impacts occur below the passenger compartment occupants.

Prevost provides little distance from the windshield & front bumper to the driver position. On the newer Prevost buses, the driver position is lowered.

My opinion is that the Prevost structure is stronger than a typical Type A motor home RV.

The safety distance of the Freightliner Type 8 truck is still lacking in the Prevost, just as it is in the Type A.

We believe we are traveling in a very strong & safe vehicle. The TV series "Highway thru Hell" shows some horrific truck wrecks. Yet truck drivers survive most of them, to the surprise of even the wrecker drivers.

We are entirely happy & satisfied with our great, superlative Dynamax Freightliner Columbia Grand Sport GT.

If someone needs a vehicle to use for a touring music band with several people & their gear, I cannot think of a better suited vehicle than a professionally converted Prevost bus. I recommend contracting with a company like Hemphill Brothers of Nashville.

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Fury, Dynamax Freightliner Columbia Grand Sport GT GC400GT
Papa Bear, Jeep Commander Overland
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:12 AM   #15

Full timing since 2009. Personally, I would go no longer in length than 40' for access to more locations, parks, and sites.
DRW907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #16

Fully agree with Wolf Alaska.
There are a lot of morons on the road, and our number one consideration in our purchase was safety. A super C provides much better protection for driver and passenger than a class A/bus.
Cactus Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #17
Wanderluster

I just went through this as I contemplated whether to buy another Class A or a Super C. Although I wasn't specifically looking at a Prevost and DX3, my considerations were exactly the same.

For Class As, I was considering Newell Coaches, Bluebirds, and similar large tag axle buses such as Prevost.

For Class Super Cs, I was considering Dynamax Grand Sports and Dynaquests, and also Renegades and Showhaulers.

Finally decided on a Super C, Dynamax Dynaquest 340XL.

It all came down to what my wife and I planned to do - which was to travel a lot - meaning lots of highway time, but also lots of camping. Specifically, we like to explore National Parks, BLM lands, State Parks, COE CGs. Safety was a big consideration, as well as maintenance convenience and cost.

Ultimately, we wanted the smallest coach that still had at least a queen size bed, full bath and kitchen, but still had to be no more than 35' long (to allow access to virtually all campgrounds); but it still needed to have a large diesel engine with lots of torque so we could carry/tow anything we wanted, and never lug up the mountains.

Life is full of compromises - but I don't feel that I'm giving up too much with the Dynaquest. I think it's a win!
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dx3