Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #1

Dynamax DX3 37TS What will run on 30AMP Servicr

I have a quick question for the experts on this forum. I have a 2020 Dynamax DX3 37TS and all my trips so far have either been using my Generator or a 50 AMP Service for power. Getting ready for a trip to a State Park where there is only 30 AMP Service in June and have a 30 AMP to 50 AMP adapter that I will connect to my Surge Protector but was wondering what will not run on the 30 AMP Service. Can I run both AC's as I expect it to be warm as the State Park is in South Carolina and what are my other if any limitation with the 30 AMP Service.
mwkilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #2

Instead of 12000 available watts you only have 3600 watts. Probably won't be able to run both AC units unless you have installed some sort or easy start kit. Maybe your unit has one of those energy management kits that will shed watts for you.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #3

Two ACs will prolly not run on a single 30 amp unless you have easy starts installed on both and don't run anything else. Even then, iffy.

Everything will run, just not at the same time or you will trip the pedestal breaker. Your 50-30 amp adapter should hook up both 50 amp coach legs to the single 30 amp pedestal leg so everything will have power.

Avoid any two big things at once: ACs, hairdryer, microwave, electric stove/oven, keurig, electric heater, etc.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #4

I've run both ACs but you're getting close when you add the fridge. I wouldn't dare start the microwave or any high loads with both ACs on.

Usually when were on 30A we run one AC and can go about life normally.

One thing to note is 50A is two legs of 110v so 100A of total power, whereas the 30A is just one so you can really start to see the difference in that light.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #5

Again as usual, thanks all for your comments. So net maybe just run one AC or if two AC's nothing else like microwave, cook top or any other appliances. So I guess during showers in morning just have one AC running as the Aqua Hot is producing Hot Water. Will update thread after trip with experiences, just need to keep Dynamax cool during the day for the two Greyhounds if we are not in the coach. Again thanks for your thoughts and experiences.
mwkilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:49 AM   #6

At the end of the day, all you're out if you go over is a trip outside to reset the breaker.

Personally I haven't had any real startup problems with ACs. I think it's been be instantaneous rating on the breaker being higher than advertised. That said its only been a handful of times I've really needed to run 2 AC on a 30A. I'd plan on 1 with the second as needed during the day and you should be fine.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #7

It's been a while since I looked into this, but for some reason I was thinking the two 110V legs were physically separated on the breaker panel and the AC connections were split across these two separate panels...meaning that, unless you rewired it, there was no way to run both AC's while connected to 30A.

Apologize if I've misunderstood (or mis-remembered) this...not trying/wanting to add confusion here.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
It's been a while since I looked into this, but for some reason I was thinking the two 110V legs were physically separated on the breaker panel and the AC connections were split across these two separate panels...meaning that, unless you rewired it, there was no way to run both AC's while connected to 30A.

Apologize if I've misunderstood (or mis-remembered) this...not trying/wanting to add confusion here.
The 50 - 30 adapter combines the two 120v legs to a single leg so the power panel is still fully powered.

When I am only connected to a 30 amp, I have successfully been comfortable with only 1 AC running (remember the AC units are plenum attached so AC will go throughout the coach)

If it is bright sunny out and your windshield is toward the sun I suggest you put the shade up to block the heat gain.

As for the AquaHot unit you can run it on burner only while taking your luxury shower.

Another way is configure your thermostat on second AC to come on at some higher temp than the other AC for example 10 degrees higher.
Set your Gen set auto start to come on at a couple degrees below you high set thermostat.
This way the genset will start and take on load just before the second AC is required to cool the MH.

Just some ideas to make it work and protect your fur kids
Old 03-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
The 50 - 30 adapter combines the two 120v legs to a single leg so the power panel is still fully powered.
Good to know. I guess I never really thought it about it much...I just ass-u-med that it simply connected line 1 to single 120V leg of the 30A circuit and left line 2 totally disconnected.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #10

If you are leaving dogs unattended I would only run one a/c as the dogs won't be able to do a reset if overloaded. You are running at the upper limits.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
Good to know. I guess I never really thought it about it much...I just ass-u-med that it simply connected line 1 to single 120V leg of the 30A circuit and left line 2 totally disconnected.

Thanks!
Yeah you're whole panel is split into 2 legs just like at home. The 30A adapter ties those two to run off a single leg feed
Old 03-03-2021, 02:47 PM   #12

Pet safety

We also purchased a surge protector with an emergency power off and auto power on. That’s gives us some comfort if the pedestal side is causing problems. The auto gen start as stated above is a good idea in case all shore power is not available.

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo/
Coda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
When we only have 30 amp available we will run the AC during the day for the kitchen/living room area and then at bedtime shut that off and run the one in the bedroom.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Anything with Multi-Plex will have load shedding built in. You need to make sure you double check the panel properly shows incoming power, but it should shed loads so you don't trip the breaker.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:35 PM   #15

Take your pics, Mix n Match:

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electr...eloadchart.php

Tags
dx3