Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #1

Dynamax Force HD - battery questions ...

We bought our new-to-use 2018 Force HD right before Covid hit. Used it for a quick weekend and then put it in storage, But not yet knowing where everything was, I didn't turn off the Chassis batteries. So as you might expect, the chassis batteries were dead when I went to pull it out of storage today.

I used the Battery Boost button to get it turned over and was able to drive home. But now everything seems to be dead. I do have it hooked up to shore power at the house now though. A couple of questions:

Does Shore Power charge both the House and Chassis batteries in the Force HD? And for that matter would the generator charge both?

Now I know where the Chassis disconnect switch is - right below the drivers seat. I'll use it next time. But I suspect my chassis batteries may be shot. Can I test them with a cheapie multimeter? If I do need new ones are they the same as car batteries?

TIA for your answers, Bill
WrkdbfGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrkdbfGuy View Post
We bought our new-to-use 2018 Force HD right before Covid hit. Used it for a quick weekend and then put it in storage, But not yet knowing where everything was, I didn't turn off the Chassis batteries. So as you might expect, the chassis batteries were dead when I went to pull it out of storage today.

I used the Battery Boost button to get it turned over and was able to drive home. But now everything seems to be dead. I do have it hooked up to shore power at the house now though. A couple of questions:

Does Shore Power charge both the House and Chassis batteries in the Force HD? And for that matter would the generator charge both?

Now I know where the Chassis disconnect switch is - right below the drivers seat. I'll use it next time. But I suspect my chassis batteries may be shot. Can I test them with a cheapie multimeter? If I do need new ones are they the same as car batteries?

TIA for your answers, Bill
They will need to be charge and then tested with a battery load tester. The newer electronic testers are the best. Most repair shops and auto parts stores have one.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #3

On my Force shore power will charge house batteries first and then charge chassis batteries. While driving the chassis batteries will charge first and then house. The BIRD does this function.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
The BIRD does this function.
Okay I'll bite (grin). What's the "BIRD" function? (Some otherwise obvious acronym no doubt.)

Bill
WrkdbfGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #5

Bi Directional Isolator Relay
Old 07-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #6

Bidirectional Isolator Relay Delay (BIRD)
– Product Description:
• The BIRD provides a method of charging the auxiliary battery bank from the
engine alternator and charges the primary battery from the converter when
the vehicle is plugged into shore power. The battery banks are isolated when
neither battery is being charged. When the generator is operating, the
isolator is disabled to prevent the generator and the converter from
operating the chassis/vehicle functions which might over-load the converter.
– Purpose:
• The BIRD works to charge either battery bank source when one bank is
deemed to be at a charging potential ( >13.1 VDC) specifically when the
engine is running or the vehicle is plugged into a shore power or utility
electrical outlet. The battery banks are isolated when the Generator is the
power source.
– Composed of the following base components and modules:
• BIRD module
• Battery Isolation Relay, Continuous Duty Coil and
• Battery Disconnect Relay, Mechanically Latching style Coil
Old 07-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrkdbfGuy View Post
Okay I'll bite (grin). What's the "BIRD" function? (Some otherwise obvious acronym no doubt.)

Bill
If you "Search this forum" (top right of this sub-forum, in the green bar above the posts) you can search for BIRD and find plenty of troubleshooting tips and tricks. Lots of people have had the same question regarding house and chassis...I would say start there, lots of info and then re-post if that does not answer the questions.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nt-182896.html

Here is one thread I posted with the description of the BIRD (and now what we use called the BIM). Some people have since upgraded as the solenoid does NOT like dead batteries. Too much amperage coming through.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery