Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2024, 04:06 PM   #1

Dynamax Force HD battery replacement question

Itís time to replace my Dynamax Force AGM 4Dís with 2 new ones, staying with AGMís.
MY QUESTIONS; once I figure out how best to lift them out and in, can I simply turn off the feed to the house side and then take the cables and related wires off of the battery terminals? Will some component need power during the swap? Will something need a reset after the batteries are in?
Any tips on lifting those beasts in and out would be welcome too. I have a plan but am open to suggestions.
GoldenBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 04:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Thread has been moved from the Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info forum to the Dynamax forum since... well, you know.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78/'24 = 41; Booked for 2024 = 55
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:52 PM   #3

Just turn off all the disconnects. There should be nothing to do after the new ones are in, it is basically the same as having the disconnects off. There should not be a BMS sensor for the house. If you are going agm to agm the battery charger settings will be the same.

I had a 8D AGM in my old coach, two guys could put it in place. I did use a ATV jack, similar to a transmission jack, years ago too.

Negative cables first and last as always when disconnecting and reconnecting respectively. Take a picture of the cables first even if it is an easy install. Long story short I helped somebody sell a pusher as as the owner passed and AAA installed the batteries and moved one of the power cables to ground. It didn't hurt anything but it had me scratching my head for a while, checking diagrams several times before correcting it because and all was well. Those were double chassis batteries and the allison would only go to 2nd gear.
malmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post
Itís time to replace my Dynamax Force AGM 4Dís with 2 new ones, staying with AGMís.
MY QUESTIONS; once I figure out how best to lift them out and in, can I simply turn off the feed to the house side and then take the cables and related wires off of the battery terminals? Will some component need power during the swap? Will something need a reset after the batteries are in?
Any tips on lifting those beasts in and out would be welcome too. I have a plan but am open to suggestions.
If you switch to lithium they will last twice as long with half the weight. LiTime lithium batteryís are comparable in price to AGM and are an excellent product. You will have to replace BIM with a LiBim but thatís a simple switch.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:56 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Sams Club sells Duracell AGM's that are the exact same brand that we buy (Intimidator), just rebranded and for cheaper.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 12:54 PM   #6

I agree with the lithium upgrade being a game changer and I considered switching to lithium since now would have been a good time for that. The benefits are pretty compelling when considering weight, time to recharge, draw down voltage curve and all. Real or imagined, I am concerned about the potential for an uncontrollable lithium battery fire destroying my Dynamax. I took the safe route and am going with what it was born with. It turns out I could have done better than Amazon for price at Sam’s Club but oh well, the order is in and the batteries have shipped so I follow through on the order.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:30 PM   #7

When the time comes for our XL, I'll likely be staying with 4Ds as well. I live in Iowa and it gets very cold here in the winter, I have seen where lithium batteries do not like the cold and need to be heated to stay healthy. While they are heavy, I know the M2 is plenty fine with the weight. We already have 3 years on the factory 4Ds, assuming we'll get another 3 or so out of them, maybe my mind will change then, who knows.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post
Real or imagined, I am concerned about the potential for an uncontrollable lithium battery fire destroying my Dynamax.
Not all "lithium" batteries are the same and pose the same risk.

RVs use LiFePo4 batteries, which are generally much safer than a LiPo battery. Plus a good LiFePo4 battery will have a built-in battery management component that will disconnect the battery when a short is detected.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:57 PM   #9

Iím happy to hear the swap should go smoothly without having subsequent problems to address.
Re the 4D over lithium choice, the 4Dís are fine for how I use the coach. Itís just too easy to go with the original design.
Thanks so very much to all!
Old 04-22-2024, 06:26 PM   #10

Not totally related, but instead of starting a new thread I thought I would ask here. The new Dynamax Dynaquest units come with 2 8D AGMís instead of 3 4Dís. First question, is there an advantage to the 2 8Dís vs. 3 4Dís? Second question, if the answer to the first question is that it is a better, more powerful setup, then when I replace my 4Dís can I convert to the 2 8D setup?
ďBreathe in, Breathe out, Move onĒ
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Sams Club sells Duracell AGM's that are the exact same brand that we buy (Intimidator), just rebranded and for cheaper.
Brian, what is the reason for not just running with the Duracells from the get go?
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:25 PM   #12
Commercial Member

1. (2) 8D's vs (3) 4D'. We were just trying to eliminate jumpers. 8D is 245 AH's, 4D is 198.

2. As for why not Duracells, they are an aftermarket battery not really carried at the OEM level. The only difference is the stickers on the outside.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:35 PM   #13

East Penn Mfg/Deka makes them.
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, dynamax, question, replacement