Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenMom View Post
Thanks for the photo, Barch. Finished the changeover to lithium batteries. Your photo helped. Especially when the LI-BIM arrived with absolutely no documentation. My husband made a few modifications to keep that box tidy. By removing the heavy copper studs and reversing their direction (so the head was on the outside), he was able to get the LI-BIM connected by reshaping the bus bars. Had to move the green wire on the left over an inch or so to make it all fit.
Nice Job, your gonna love it.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
Im a big fan of lead acid. Not sure why everyone wants to spend all this money on lithium, is it necessary?

On my DX3 i can easily go from dinner time to lunch time the next day...running all the normal stuff including the fridge...without issue.

Lithium is cool, but is it necessary for the cost?

Also, if you have ever seen a lithium battery blowup/gas release its not pretty. We purposly shorted an iphone battery here to see what happens. From 20 ft away i got a little whif of the smoke and it was like fire. And thats just a tiny iphone battery.

Lead for me for the win!

--John
The lithium batteries in our RVs are a different chemistry than the "blowups". The advantages:
  • lighter
  • twice the usable amp hours
  • faster charge time - less time running generator, solar more efficient
  • high voltage maintained down to empty, lead acid drops
  • lead acid requires more maintenance and can lose capacity easily
  • lasts much longer (much more charge cycles)
  • is not a century old technology
  • more installation options, does not require venting (therefore safer in that respect)
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #43

I too have thought about switching to lithium however the cost has kept me from making the switch. Mostly due to all of the other cost involved with switching over on top of the cost of the lithium batteries. I think AGM is the way we will go now.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #44

Seems there are lots of 8D Lithium batteries out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We are...but not until they develop a 4D or 8D sizing...just too many jumpers to try and make it work with smaller.

Retrofit is not really in our business model...but I will say, several people have already done this upgrade on their own using the same components.

Some have gone from BIM to LI-Bim which was pretty easy. And someone has already gone from BIRD to Li-Bim on here as well.
Brian, a quick search yields plenty of 8D Lithium Battery options. I too want the Explore package available on the DX3 or XL chassis as I am getting closer to having my GarageMahal.....As a side note, my brother just ordered the Isata 5 4X4 so my membership has paid off....I turned him onto Dynamax last year.
12 Volt (12V) 400A 8D High-Output Lithium Ion Battery for Trucks, Marine, Recreational Vehicles and Other Applications - Superior and Safe Lithionics Lithium Ion Batteries when only the BEST will do!
twp5253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #45
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twp5253 View Post
Brian, a quick search yields plenty of 8D Lithium Battery options. I too want the Explore package available on the DX3 or XL chassis as I am getting closer to having my GarageMahal.....As a side note, my brother just ordered the Isata 5 4X4 so my membership has paid off....I turned him onto Dynamax last year.
12 Volt (12V) 400A 8D High-Output Lithium Ion Battery for Trucks, Marine, Recreational Vehicles and Other Applications - Superior and Safe Lithionics Lithium Ion Batteries when only the BEST will do!
Yes, a google search will yield lots of things. We have found batteries, but...
A: we need to ensure that we have a steady, reliable supplier.
B: that we have tested them with our systems
C: that it has a heater built in (as the ReLion LT series does). the last thing I want is someone to be stranded in cold weather.

We're testing the ReLion 4D right now

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #46

Quote:
Yes, a google search will yield lots of things. We have found batteries, but...
A: we need to ensure that we have a steady, reliable supplier.
B: that we have tested them with our systems
C: that it has a heater built in (as the ReLion LT series does). the last thing I want is someone to be stranded in cold weather.

We're testing the ReLion 4D right now
RB300-LT: Cold Weather Lithium Battery That would be 300AH and how many would you likely install in a DX3 or XL? Is it safe to assume you will offer up an Explorer type package for these platforms pretty soon? Thank you Brian
Old 02-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #47
Commercial Member

We would likely run (2), then assess from there. Safe to assume we will offer it up soon? Depends on the definition of soon. We are sold out for 2021 MY. We have orders into 2022 MY, but not sure how as I have not priced them. So if we did offer it up, you're looking at Q1 2022 (calendar year) at the earliest

Old 02-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #48

Quote:
We would likely run (2), then assess from there. Safe to assume we will offer it up soon? Depends on the definition of soon. We are sold out for 2021 MY. We have orders into 2022 MY, but not sure how as I have not priced them. So if we did offer it up, you're looking at Q1 2022 (calendar year) at the earliest
That would probably be perfect for me as my GarageMahal project has only just begun. So, I could get the Explore Package & 4WD for my DX3/XL order?
Old 02-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #49
Commercial Member

I think I'm going to stop saying no and just do like Northwestern did a while back in regards to ticket pricing. Bid what you are willing to pay for it and we'll give it to highest bidder

Old 02-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #50

Group 31 comparison between a 135Ah AGM vs. 100Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate w/ internal heating element

RELiON RB100-LT Low Temp LiFePO4 100Ah

4 times the price
1/3 the weight
Needs heat in cold weather

vs.

VMAX XTR31-135 Extreme AGM 135Ah

VMAX Number of Cycles vs. Depth of Discharge

Taller
155Ar AGM with same base dimension

Lifespan of these AGM batteries is dependent on configuration, depth of discharge and number of deep charge cycles (my experience 4 105Ah batteries in parallel = ~6-7 years) At $313 retail per 135Ah AGM battery x 4 = $1,252 every 6 years which is equivalent to the cost of 1 RELiON 100Ah.

IMHO if you need less weight, go with Lithium, if you can afford it. Otherwise, you may be better off with fresh AGM batteries every 3-4 years at less initial cost with more Ah capacity.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #51

Quote:
I think I'm going to stop saying no and just do like Northwestern did a while back in regards to ticket pricing. Bid what you are willing to pay for it and we'll give it to highest bidder
In a previous post you mentioned wanting 4D or 8D Li batteries because they have fewer connections. Now that your testing a 4D Li battery, would you be changing the Explorer configuration for say the Isata 5 28SS so that it would have two 4D vs 4 of the normal size Li batteries? Asking for my shy brother who expects to get his VIN in a few weeks.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:29 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twp5253 View Post
In a previous post you mentioned wanting 4D or 8D Li batteries because they have fewer connections. Now that your testing a 4D Li battery, would you be changing the Explorer configuration for say the Isata 5 28SS so that it would have two 4D vs 4 of the normal size Li batteries? Asking for my shy brother who expects to get his VIN in a few weeks.
We would not...mainly due to the space for the batteries on the 28SS. On most floor plans they are in a storage compartment, on the 28SS they are in the step well. It is set up for 2 or 4 100AH

Edit: also, I say 4D, I meant 8D, which is the RB-300LT

Old 03-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #53
Pud

What did you install for the Battery Management Isolator Relay ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshoe View Post
I just upgraded my 2016 Forester to LiFePo Battleborn batteries. I also replaced the Charger with a drop in replacement Progressive dynamics unit, I also added a Victron Battery monitor with bluetooth, so I could check with my smartphone, and due to the cold weather where I live I add heating jackets on at 35 off at 45. So far it has been worth the money. I had to replace the old Lead/acid batteries anyway so I figured it was time to upgrade.
Thanks,
Patrick
2005 Dynaquest 264SL
PS: Is it possible to keep the old 12v isolator relay 'IF' I just install one 100ah Lithium Battery ?
Pud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #54

Installed lithium batteries and the smart shunt this weekend. Have not put the LI BIM in yet. Noticed while running the engine I did not seem to be getting a charge from the alternator. Is that normal prior to switching the BIM? 2018 Isata 3 by the way.
mlbrowninoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:49 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrowninoh View Post
Installed lithium batteries and the smart shunt this weekend. Have not put the LI BIM in yet. Noticed while running the engine I did not seem to be getting a charge from the alternator. Is that normal prior to switching the BIM? 2018 Isata 3 by the way.
Absolutely! Should take off as soon as the li-BIM is installed. Did you change the inverter/charger to lithium comparable?
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnapapartsguy View Post
Absolutely! Should take off as soon as the li-BIM is installed. Did you change the inverter/charger to lithium comparable?
I have not yet. That is on the list too. As is can get them charged to about 80% but want to be able to get full charge and quick charging.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #57

The BIM that came with my 2020 was a BIM 160. The problem before I installed the LiBIM225 was that the 160 saw the higher voltage of the Lithium house batteries as a charge voltage and paralleled the batteries. The 225 fixed that. Progressive Dynamics provided the slide in Lithium charger replacement so that replacing the entire PD power center was not necessary. When you are measuring alternator charge are you checking it at chassis battery or house batteries?

Battchief
Battchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #58

I was just looking at the VictronConnect app info from the smart shunt. While the engine was running I was only seeing the charge from the solar panels. App matched what the solar controller said was being input. Starting the engine made no change. Starting the generator however and hooking to 15 amp shore power did show an increase.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:57 PM   #59

Another Li Battery to consider

This is a great thread - thanks all for the info - and feedback from the great Mr BClemens - one of the reason I went for the Isata - was his outstanding customer support .

WRT to the Li Battery upgrade - another option to consider - I have just ordered 120ah batteries below from Lynx $630 each - checked the dimension - they "just" fit in the stairwell - will be tight - but look ok .

Advantages - extra 40ah - gives 240ah v 200, they have BMS bluetooth onboard battery - and come with a smart phone charge status app, and they have BMS low temp disconnect to protect battery < -5 deg C - This is a simpler less expensive option as eliminates need for the Victron Battery Mon - which looks like pain to install with shunt and cable run from shunt in battery stair well to VBM monitor onboard.

https://www.amazon.com/Lynx-Battery-...s%2C232&sr=8-4
AngusMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #60

Mr. Clemens,

Do you have any recommendations for a particular brand(s) of lithium batteries and for the isolation unit? We have a 2019 Isata 5 36DS, and are looking at replacing our 4 existing lead acid batteries with two 100AH Lithium batts. Fall in Alaska can be cold so would be nice to have a low temp option.

Thanks!
Isata5AK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery