RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Motorized GM

Dynamax Lithium Battery Option (Video)

We have had so many questions from people about upgrading. Many think you can just drop a couple of batteries in place of lead acid and its not so simple (at least not if you want to take full advantage).

So we did a little video explaining what goes into it.

PS. We oversimplified this by design as it is intended to just be a "primer"

Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #2

Just saw that on YouTube. Nicely summed up, well done.

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #3

Agree, very good.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to toshu
Brian, while watching this video, I realized that it would benefit us if some of the technical videos were available for download in lower resolution.
If someone is in the boonies without access to YouTube, having the videos on setting the null on the levelers or resetting the slide, on my tablet and phone might be a real benefit.
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We have had so many questions from people about upgrading. Many think you can just drop a couple of batteries in place of lead acid and its not so simple (at least not if you want to take full advantage).

Great post, thanks.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:12 AM   #6
Norwood Auto Italia

Great video. Smart phone manufacturers should offer similar descriptions. Not to hijack the thread, but this also is a partial explanation as to why you should not use old chargers with new phones even if the plug is compatible. The new chemistry in a 2020 phone as compared to (say) a 2019 needs the benefit of a higher amp charger.

Boeing ran into similar problems in the early days of the 787 and the technology we are getting in these RV units reflect what they had to learn.
Isata 5 28SS on order
Various Airstream TT and Winnebago MH
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
Brian, while watching this video, I realized that it would benefit us if some of the technical videos were available for download in lower resolution.
If someone is in the boonies without access to YouTube, having the videos on setting the null on the levelers or resetting the slide, on my tablet and phone might be a real benefit.
1. YouTube offers a setting for low res if you do not have high speed.
2. If a technical video provides "how to" or "troubleshooting" it is also listed in the owners manual smart phone app, that smart phone app can download the entire manual in the event you do not have cell service
3. If it is something like the "slide reset" we add that video to the USB flash drive that we ship with the coach.

You mean something like that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-10-10 105957.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	240902  
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 10-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to toshu
Quote:
1. YouTube offers a setting for low res if you do not have high speed.
2. If a technical video provides "how to" or "troubleshooting" it is also listed in the owners manual smart phone app, that smart phone app can download the entire manual in the event you do not have cell service
3. If it is something like the "slide reset" we add that video to the USB flash drive that we ship with the coach.

You mean something like that?
If a how to video is on the vehicle's USB drive that's great but it would be handy to be able to just download it from one of your web pages when we have NO connectivity. Having lower Rez video, not on YouTube but on your videos available for download make it a more manageable file size to store on a phone, tablet or PC.
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
If a how to video is on the vehicle's USB drive that's great but it would be handy to be able to just download it from one of your web pages when we have NO connectivity. Having lower Rez video, not on YouTube but on your videos available for download make it a more manageable file size to store on a phone, tablet or PC.
See #2 (Forest River Owners Manual Smart Phone App).
Old 10-10-2020, 02:06 PM   #10

Excellent simple video that pretty much covers everything. Thanks Brian, without a doubt the best upgrade I have done and has performed flawlessly for 32 months with the exact components you have shown. The Low Temp battery option will push my friend over the edge to upgrade : )
USN-RET MCPO/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #11

I just upgraded my 2016 Forester to LiFePo Battleborn batteries. I also replaced the Charger with a drop in replacement Progressive dynamics unit, I also added a Victron Battery monitor with bluetooth, so I could check with my smartphone, and due to the cold weather where I live I add heating jackets on at 35 off at 45. So far it has been worth the money. I had to replace the old Lead/acid batteries anyway so I figured it was time to upgrade.
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshoe View Post
I just upgraded my 2016 Forester to LiFePo Battleborn batteries. I also replaced the Charger with a drop in replacement Progressive dynamics unit, I also added a Victron Battery monitor with bluetooth, so I could check with my smartphone, and due to the cold weather where I live I add heating jackets on at 35 off at 45. So far it has been worth the money. I had to replace the old Lead/acid batteries anyway so I figured it was time to upgrade.
Did you do the Li-BIM 225? Very big improvement for charging to complete a very nice system. I have the exact same as you on my 2016 Isata 3FW.
USN-RET MCPO/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:

Brian, are you all looking to add a lithium option to the Freightliner trucks? We have an XL on order not expected to reach the production line until about December. I would consider that option if it becomes available. thanks.
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #14

Im a big fan of lead acid. Not sure why everyone wants to spend all this money on lithium, is it necessary?

On my DX3 i can easily go from dinner time to lunch time the next day...running all the normal stuff including the fridge...without issue.

Lithium is cool, but is it necessary for the cost?

Also, if you have ever seen a lithium battery blowup/gas release its not pretty. We purposly shorted an iphone battery here to see what happens. From 20 ft away i got a little whif of the smoke and it was like fire. And thats just a tiny iphone battery.

Lead for me for the win!

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
Im a big fan of lead acid. Not sure why everyone wants to spend all this money on lithium, is it necessary?

On my DX3 i can easily go from dinner time to lunch time the next day...running all the normal stuff including the fridge...without issue.

Lithium is cool, but is it necessary for the cost?

Also, if you have ever seen a lithium battery blowup/gas release its not pretty. We purposly shorted an iphone battery here to see what happens. From 20 ft away i got a little whif of the smoke and it was like fire. And thats just a tiny iphone battery.

Lead for me for the win!

--John
Mostly when boondocking. Also weight savings on the smaller coaches. For traveling normally between hookups the AGMs do just fine.

If you look at usable AH as well as service life in cycles the lithium actually work out cheaper in the long run.

I went with 6v golf cart lead acid last year when I expanded mine, but that was more of an immediate budget concern than any thought that lead acid is better

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #16

Any plans to offer the lithium as a retrofit upgrade for us "legacy" owners?
Old 10-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #17
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC70 View Post
Brian, are you all looking to add a lithium option to the Freightliner trucks? We have an XL on order not expected to reach the production line until about December. I would consider that option if it becomes available. thanks.
We are...but not until they develop a 4D or 8D sizing...just too many jumpers to try and make it work with smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratbros View Post
Any plans to offer the lithium as a retrofit upgrade for us "legacy" owners?
Retrofit is not really in our business model...but I will say, several people have already done this upgrade on their own using the same components.

Some have gone from BIM to LI-Bim which was pretty easy. And someone has already gone from BIRD to Li-Bim on here as well.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #18

Lithium Option

Mr. Clemens,

I just ordered a new Force HD in August. I have not yet been assigned a VIN, but am anxiously awaiting!

I did not see Lithium as an option. Is there an option for lithium on the Freightliner chassis from the factory?
bruinstinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #19
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinstinks View Post
Mr. Clemens,

I just ordered a new Force HD in August. I have not yet been assigned a VIN, but am anxiously awaiting!

I did not see Lithium as an option. Is there an option for lithium on the Freightliner chassis from the factory?
Please see post #17, first half.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #20

Quote:

I own a 2019 Isata 3 24RWM. I am considering upgrading my battery bank from AGM to Lithium. However, before I do that I want to be absolutely sure of the process. If I understand your video correctly, to do this upgrade I would need to replace or add a BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor, Low Temperature Version, Three Stage Lithium Charger, and a Li Bim 225 Battery Management device as well as two Lithium Batteries. Is this correct?
djbiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery